Background noise

General questions on scanning from 30 to 3000Mhz. Not sure what you can receive in your area? Here's the place to ask!

Moderator: yorky

richard omeara

Background noise

Post by richard omeara »

I listern to my local security (416.925).Is great at night but during the day i get every one else.Couriers,trucks bloody every one.Is there any way i can not get every one else just the security.THANKS
yorky

Re: Background noise

Post by yorky »

Which scanner model and antenna?
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

richard omeara wrote:I listern to my local security (416.925).Is great at night but during the day i get every one else.Couriers,trucks bloody every one.Is there any way i can not get every one else just the security.THANKS
Given the frequency I'd guess that it might be a trunking channel. i.e. the frequency is part of a pool of channels that are re-allocated to anyone who needs a channel at the time, which are sold to a large number of customers who then all think that they have their "own" channel. At night, the system is less busy so the security company is usually assigned that frequency.

The way to tell if it's trunking is there'll be a burst of noise (data) at the start and/or end of each over, which is the radio communicating with the trunking controller.

There's not a lot you can do as the most popular trunking systems we use in Australia on 400MHz (MPT) isn't scannable with trunk tracker scanners.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
richard omeara

Post by richard omeara »

Ive got a Uniden 996t.Also a discone antenna on top of 2 story building.Im also about 2 km from an industrial area(osbourne park) that probably doesnt help.The coms do have a short blast at begining and a longer one about 4 seconds after coms finish.But there is no frequancy change.Its Stirling security if your interested.Could i use trunkview for mpt trunking.I did have a play with it 6 mounths ago.Didnt have the patiance. #-o
Fitzyyy
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden Bearcat ubcd396xt

Post by Fitzyyy »

yeah I listen to that to (those damn sounds are really bloody anoying)
Comint

Post by Comint »

richard omeara wrote:Ive got a Uniden 996t.Also a discone antenna on top of 2 story building.Im also about 2 km from an industrial area(osbourne park) that probably doesnt help.The coms do have a short blast at begining and a longer one about 4 seconds after coms finish.But there is no frequancy change.Its Stirling security if your interested.Could i use trunkview for mpt trunking.I did have a play with it 6 mounths ago.Didnt have the patiance. #-o
416.9250 shows as one of the Biscom Trunked frequencies off QV1.
I have the Control Channel as 415.9250 (although that could have changed), and the Base frequency as 415.5625.

And yes, TrunkView is ideal. You can even set it up to only monitor a specific Prefix and Ident range (eg., your Security Co).

A couple of links that may be of use in setting up TrunkView:

Set Up

Audio

--
Comint

Edit: Added Links.
richard omeara

Post by richard omeara »

Thats what i needed.A dumbies guide to mpt 1327.
Thanks Comint =D>
slipknot
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu FT-857 Yaesu FT7800 Icom ID800H

Post by slipknot »

Cheers for the Freq too :D
Robb

Post by Robb »

There is a SIMPLE answer to this! You need to add in the CTCSS tone for the security company. It sounds like multiple services use the 1 frequency and that can be done rather easily as they won't heard each other either, they all would use their own ctcss tones. Do a CTCSS tone search at night and add that in to your scanner/s. That way you will get what you need. :)
Happy scanning,

Robb Wise,
Scanning Tasmania
www.scanningtasmania.org
Uniden UBC9000XLT & UBCD 996 & 396T. Icom RX7. SW: Sangean ATS 505 & 909
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

Robb wrote:There is a SIMPLE answer to this!
Not in this case. You're thinking of a community repeater. This particular system is trunking, and doesn't use CTCSS at all - rather the trunking controller dishes out channels as users need them.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
richard omeara

Post by richard omeara »

Tryed the CTCSS search.No luck.The MPT trunking did work its just the constant data noise that gets to me.Thanks any way.
Comint

Post by Comint »

richard omeara wrote:Tryed the CTCSS search.No luck.The MPT trunking did work its just the constant data noise that gets to me.Thanks any way.
If you have TrunkView set up correctly, you shouldn't be hearing any data noise.

--
Comint
richard omeara

Post by richard omeara »

When there is no frequancy im still hearing the data sound you hear on the control station.Its a work in progress.Also some times it doesnt return to control station.