Legalities About Intercepting Mobile Phones

General questions on scanning from 30 to 3000Mhz. Not sure what you can receive in your area? Here's the place to ask!

Moderator: yorky

Avtur50_exVet

Legalities About Intercepting Mobile Phones

Post by Avtur50_exVet »

:?:
I am not new to scanning, I have a bearcat 3000 bought on ebay for a song, came from QLD. A Yaesu 9600, I had a Realistic pro20 but someone needed it more than I did , Well I now have the Icom IC-R20
This has a lot of bells and whistles not as simple to drive as the the previous two. Question is what if i intercept something on a Mobile Phone?
Any advice appreciated and thanks to you for sending me the regn
Pat
I'm an ex Serviceman Viet Vet Ret'd

Honour The Dead
Fight Like Hell For The Living
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

You are NOT permitted to receive any telecommunications - fixed line or mobile phone. Not even those with a portable handset.

As I understand it you won't be able to pick up anything from the GSM network as they have use encryption.
Pty

Post by Pty »

PLUS mobile phones use digital transmissions and your scanners only receive analogue signals.

Many years ago before they introduced digital mobile phones (you may remember the hoo-ha back in 97-98) any off the shelf scanner capable of 800mhz could receive mobile phones. Trust me, i know ;)
AustDave

PTSN and scanners

Post by AustDave »

Ok guys and girls here is the low down.

Any communication that either enters or leaves the PTSN system is illegal to listen to. This includes any transmission from radio network that has a patch to the telephone system.

CDMA can be monitored as it is still an analog system, how ever read the above about the legalities of it. Recently heard tho that our old faithful telco (no names mentioned, but thier logo is the T will be shutting down CDMA in the next few years and no it wont be replaced. CDMA was a stop gap messure to allow improvements on the GSM network coverage wise
The shortest distance isn't always the direct route
Bonez

Re: PTSN and scanners

Post by Bonez »

AustDave wrote:Ok guys and girls here is the low down.
Sorry to spoil your fun dave, but you are horribly wrong on a couple of points there.

CDMA stands for 'code division multiple access' and it's a fully digital system. No, you can't listen to it on a scanner

Telstra announced a while back that CDMA will be slowly phased out and replaced with an Australia wide 3rd generation mobile system (3G), providing streaming video, audio and broadband-type data speeds to customers Australia wide. This is one good thing that will finally bring reasonably priced broadband to the bush.

The only form of 'phones' that you can recieve on a scanner is an analog cordless, which is around 30mhz FM. It's not legal to listen to those, as you have stated.

I'm not 100% sure about the monitoring of a PSTN call patched into a normal radio system (eg, Seaphone etc) however there doesn't appear to be a massive amount of that in use anyhow.
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Re: PTSN and scanners

Post by vk6hgr »

Bonez wrote: I'm not 100% sure about the monitoring of a PSTN call patched into a normal radio system (eg, Seaphone etc) however there doesn't appear to be a massive amount of that in use anyhow.
MPT trunking systems usually have phone patches and they're used fairly often.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
Rusty_Nail
Amateur callsign: WYC681
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UH090 Uhf - Base Station
UH076sx - Handheld 5W Uhf
UH075 - Handheld 5W Uhf
Pearce Simpson Super Cheetah - AM, LSB and USB 27Mhz
Uniden Bearcat Handheld Scanner
Uniden Bearcat Base Station Scanner

Mobile phone frequencies?

Post by Rusty_Nail »

I thought the mopbile phone frequencies were blocked out on most scanners anyways..
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Re: Mobile phone frequencies?

Post by vk6hgr »

Rusty_Nail wrote:I thought the mopbile phone frequencies were blocked out on most scanners anyways..
They just block the frequencies used by the old-style analogue (AMPS) mobiles which we haven't used here in Australia for over 6 years now but they still use it a lot in the US and 3rd world countries.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr