Telephones

General questions on scanning from 30 to 3000Mhz. Not sure what you can receive in your area? Here's the place to ask!

Moderator: yorky

sn_quinlivan

Telephones

Post by sn_quinlivan »

i have only done it once but i have managed to pick up my own house phone does anyone know any frequencys for telephones :?:
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

i think u'll find its illegal to listen to phones and other tellecommunications.
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

1. ARE SCANNERS LEGAL?

In Australia, it is legal to own and operate a radio scanner and no licence is required.

Generally speaking and to the best of our knowledge, It is also legal to listen to most frequencies. The most notable exception are any frequencies that are used for telecommunications, such as mobile phones, cordless phones, ship-to-shore seaphones, etc. It is illegal to listen to any frequency used for telecommunications in Australia. (Federal Telecommunications act)

Mostly due to copyright it is also illegal to rebroadcast transmissions received on a scanner without the appropriate authority.
sn_quinlivan

Post by sn_quinlivan »

oh, ok Thanks

Only found by searching through freqeuncys on radio scanner
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

Sometimes id like to listen to the phones but yeah
Always RX

Post by Always RX »

Im sure at times I have heard what is a phone call (scanning on immediatley of course!)...but only when im scanning the trunking channels...would this be a two way radio that is configured to call out cdma/mobile phone numbers too??? I have heard guys using lavalife and other dating lines...i have even heard credit card details repeated by the automated payment devices used to clear bills by phone :shock: ...I fear for the security of the people that use these networks unwarned...I am an honest person hearing these things by accident but i shudder to think what could be done by those a little more cunning and evil..... Always use the landline! 8)
falas

Post by falas »

Try scanning from 30.000 FM to around 30.350 FM, but you will also need a good antenna to be able to listen to your neigbours. I caught out a lady up the road from me having an affair with some other bloke.

Good Luck :)
Antt
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Antt »

I would strongly advise that you DO NOT!! listen to phone frequencies, you will be breaching so many privacy laws that if caught out you would be slapped silly, We all know its possible but its a huge NO NO. Seriously folks very serious crime we are talking about here....
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

How about those mobile phones with the UHF radio feature attached. I know a couple of Local Government Security patrols use this as thier radio network.

What is the go with this, its just a normal mobile with the PTT button.
Per Ardua-Ad Astra
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

dazla wrote:How about those mobile phones with the UHF radio feature attached. I know a couple of Local Government Security patrols use this as thier radio network.

What is the go with this, its just a normal mobile with the PTT button.
Not quite :)

Those phones actually digitise your voice and send it over the mobile network as GPRS data. They still require support from the mobile network to work, unlike real two-ways which can be used independantly.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

The Telecommunications (Interception) Act 1979, which is a commonwealth law says:

SECT 7:
Telecommunications not to be intercepted
A person shall not: (a) intercept; (b) authorize, suffer or permit another person to intercept; or (c) do any act or thing that will enable him or her or another person to intercept; a communication passing over a telecommunications system.

It's important that people do not discuss on this site anything regarding how to listen to telephone calls on a scanner.

Cheers,
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.