Trunktracking VKI digital

General questions on scanning from 30 to 3000Mhz. Not sure what you can receive in your area? Here's the place to ask!

Moderator: yorky

vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Trunktracking VKI digital

Post by vk6hgr »

Hi Folks.

I've been learning how my new Uniden 396T and trunking works so I've started mapping the VKI digital network. No, sadly, you can't listen in even with a P25 digital capable scanner but you'll learn more about scanning, trunking and grabbing data from the ACMA database. :lol:

This Excel spreadsheet contains the digital control channels I've been able to hear here. On the '396 I find them by:
  • Setting a custom search scan from 502 to 505MHz, then
    Adding the frequencies which appear to be digital - screen says DAT, LNK or ENC - to a temporary new digital system (more about that later)
    Set the scanner to scan this new digital system bank
    For each digital channel the scanner stops on, hit Hold. If the channel is a control channel, its ID will appear on the top part of the screen, i.e. SID: 01ADh-0110
These instructions are good for the analogue systems up at 865MHz, too. On analogue trunking, the control channel sounds like a sharp rumbling noise, and it will come up with the SID as well. (Not all data carriers on 800MHz are trunking... if a SID doesn't appear, it's not a Motorola network - move on)

Now, a bit about trunking. Each control channel controls a site. A site is a control channel plus any number of conversation frequencies. Radios in the VKI network continually scan their list of pre-programmed control channels and select the strongest. They then register with that site and tell the site which channel (technically, a talk group) it's tuned to.

Each time traffic appears on the network for that talk group (say, talk group 5 - which is, say the same area as channel 34 analogue was), the control channel tells the radios registered with it to tune to another frequency at the same site so the conversation can be heard. ("Hey, radios interested in talk group 5, tune to 503.5187MHz now") If no radios are registered at a particular site as being interested in a talk group, then the site doesn't waste resources by setting up a conversation frequency for it.

This all happens dynamically as conversations take place. I don't know if the VKI network does this, but in some trunking systems, if a site runs out of conversation frequencies, the system can even temporarily allocate the control channel for conversations as well.

Ok. So perhaps you're not convinced that VKI is encrypted and you want to try listening in yourself, or maybe you're just insatiably curious... :smt003

If we followed the steps above, or seen the spreadsheet, we should have a list of frequencies and site IDs. Now what? On the Uniden, we set up a new system for each site ID. (Menu | Program System | New System | MOT. We then choose P25 for VKI, or 800MHz standard for analogue ) and enter the control frequency we found. Each site has to have its own system, even if they're linked together and carry similar talk groups. If we scan this group of systems, the scanner will listen to the control channel "go to" instructions for each site and tune to the talk groups as they become active. (On VKI, the scanner will give a burst of noise then show ENC - Channel Encrypted :evil: )

You're now trunk tracking!

Coming up, using the ACMA database to find the site associated with a frequency.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
Bonez

Post by Bonez »

Hey Gav,

Good post, unfortunately I don't have a trunk tracker scanner. The post was very intersting but the picture below probably describes it the best way possible :lol:

ConstableCare
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by ConstableCare »

Bonez wrote:Hey Gav,

Good post, unfortunately I don't have a trunk tracker scanner. The post was very intersting but the picture below probably describes it the best way possible :lol:

I've got one for sale Blake - UBC780XLT!

Cheers, CC 8)
robbage
Amateur callsign: VK6UFO_VK6RN
Scanners and Receivers:  
Scanners/receivers
Diamond Welz WS1000 wideband handheld
Radioshack Pro 28 handheld
Uniden UBC72XLT handheld
Uniden UBC73XLT handheld
Uniden UBC330CRS desktop

Two-way
Yaesu VX-3R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wideband RX handheld
Yaesu FT-1802M 2m Ham TRX mobile x 2
Yaesu FT-7800R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-208H 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-706MKIIG all-band all-mode Ham TRX mobile
Icom IC-V85 2m VHF Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-UVD1P VHF/UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-679P VHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-713 UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld

Post by robbage »

Just curious Gav, do you actually hear anything at all, or does it just block because of the encryption?

Edit: As in typical digital screetches, nail-on-blackboard stuff?
Last edited by robbage on Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob
OF78WD
 Amateur moderator
Arguing with a fool proves there are two
woobla1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by woobla1 »

robbage wrote:Just curious Gav, do you actually hear anything at all, or does it just block because of the encryption?
what he said +1 ?????
CANT HEAR THE POLICE ANYMORE?
SEE THIS POST: http://warsug.info/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=4424
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by vk6hgr »

robbage wrote: Edit: As in typical digital screetches, nail-on-blackboard stuff?
on the 396T you get a second of that before the scanner realises its encrypted and it just comes up ENC and mutes the audio.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
woobla1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by woobla1 »

vk6hgr wrote:
robbage wrote: Edit: As in typical digital screetches, nail-on-blackboard stuff?
on the 396T you get a second of that before the scanner realises its encrypted and it just comes up ENC and mutes the audio.
is that your scanner making it (ENC) and if so would it not just be able to be modified so it doesn't do that??
CANT HEAR THE POLICE ANYMORE?
SEE THIS POST: http://warsug.info/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=4424
yorky

Post by yorky »

woobla1 wrote:
vk6hgr wrote:
is that your scanner making it (ENC) and if so would it not just be able to be modified so it doesn't do that??
But then it would just be digital screeches non stop? Encrypted is encrypted, you can't just turn it off at the end user.
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by vk6hgr »

yorky wrote: But then it would just be digital screeches non stop? Encrypted is encrypted, you can't just turn it off at the end user.
That's it.

If other agencies decide to come onboard, they may not bother with the hassle of encryption and it might be useful to track the VKI network. As for now, it's purely out of technical interest...
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
grant

Post by grant »

I am sorry about my sudden arrival back but I have just resurfaced back on the board after about three months of pretty solid shift work (staff shortages etc)
For those who don't know who I am, I am domiciled in Sydney and into anything scanning and in particular trunking in its various forms (MPT1327, LTR, Motorola Type 2, TETRA etc)
A lot of the issues you folk are facing have been replicated in each capital city to some degree or another, particularly Melbourne
I just getting myself up to speed with what happening in Perth.
I am going to do some research on what frequencies the P25 9600 baud trunking is and where the sites are, so I hope to post on that shortly.
The one thing I would ask is anybody running Unitrunker via discriminator tap on any of the P25 trunking sites or in possession of the lastest GRE.com PSR500 or 600 scanners which using the latest firmware can show the Talkgroups and RIDS of trunking systems.

Grant

PS I just found a net reference to further expansion of the Police network through Western Australia to either P25 conventional or where is close to Perth extension of the P25 trunking network. Are you folk aware of this?