Good Listening

General questions on scanning from 30 to 3000Mhz. Not sure what you can receive in your area? Here's the place to ask!

Moderator: yorky

Antt
150+ posts
150+ posts

Good Listening

Post by Antt »

Hey Guys, just wondering aside from emergency services, what other things do people listen too on the scanners. Looking for some variety, need a break from all this doom and gloom thats been happening lately.

For Example the other day, i heard about a elderly lady whom had a brick thrown through her window, and when she was reporting it to the police and getting a I. R # the cowards broke in and it became a home invasion.....that totally ruin my day to think people out there are that mean.
Certe, toto, sentio nos in kansate non iam adesse
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Re: Good Listening

Post by vk6hgr »

Antt wrote:Hey Guys, just wondering aside from emergency services, what other things do people listen too on the scanners. Looking for some variety, need a break from all this doom and gloom thats been happening lately.
Amateur radio can be interesting ( slight plug :-) )

If your radio can cover it, there's a lot of interesting stuff on shortwave as well as on 165, 415 and 800Mhz trunking.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Long-wave beacon searching (200-500kHZ) is fun - I've heard them from Namibia, French Polynesia, Hong Kong and pretty much everywhere inbetween.

DXing MW radio stations can be good, especially during summer. I've heard broadcasts from KGA (Washington State), KNIX (Arizona) and KMNY (California) in years past at around 8pm with my Dad's FRG-7 and a long piece of wire.

On VHF/UHF I agree, amateur radio is good.
pinkbosseslady
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by pinkbosseslady »

Public Transport is interesting especially in the night
Pty

Post by Pty »

It's good to go down to the airport when they're busy.

Pilot to controller "Flight 954 still waiting for clearance..."

Controller to Pilot "yes SIR, i know you're still there SIR, when i clear the traffic SIR, i shall assist you promptly, SIR!!!"
Bonez

Post by Bonez »

Air band is good if you live close enough to the airport.

I live in Yokine (near Dog Swamp) and with just a small mobile antenna on a magnetic base in the gutter, I can hear the airport quite well, especially at night.

It makes it more fun if you have internet access close by to your scanner, as you can actually grab pics of the exact aircraft as they are coming in to land / or take off.

This link is helpful, just put the aircraft callsign into the box and hit OK. It will then give you some basic details, and you can click the "airliners.net" link to grab a photo of the exact plane.

http://numloxx.dyndns.org/aircraft/

(Leave the VH off the front of the aircraft callsign, eg, KLZ is all you need to enter if you want to look up VH-KLZ)
Bonez

Post by Bonez »

Other than that, the other things I enjoy listening to are some of the commercial TV stations.

I know that 7 and 9 are quite active when their choppers are up in the air, or their live-cross news 4WD's are out on the road sending tape feeds or crossing live during the news.

Don't have the exact frequencies on me but they are pretty easy to find in the ACMA database.
doogues71
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by doogues71 »

just adding to that about ch 7 & ch9 news freqencys.I find that ch 9's 487.6500,487.3500 and 486.4500 good when they cross live to something.The skyshow should be intresting.Was listrening to the control room at last years Telethon through my scanner very intresting.You hear all the things that go on.This will also be used for skyshow.472.8000.You'll hear when the first firework should go off and sometimes they don't go off when they should!!
Domestos

Post by Domestos »

Check out my posting re the ISS operating on Ham UHF freqs this weekend, all you need is a satellite tracking program and up to date keps!

John
ICQ NUMBER 284739081
Bonez

Post by Bonez »

doogues71 wrote:just adding to that about ch 7 & ch9 news freqencys.I find that ch 9's 487.6500,487.3500 and 486.4500 good when they cross live to something.The skyshow should be intresting.Was listrening to the control room at last years Telethon through my scanner very intresting.You hear all the things that go on.This will also be used for skyshow.472.8000.You'll hear when the first firework should go off and sometimes they don't go off when they should!!
I work for one of the two stations you mentioned above, so if you have them all programmed in, you'll quite often here me talking to to guys out on the road, as well as me talking to our Master control when i'm out on the road.

My voice should get everyone excited lol :)