Naval activity

General questions on scanning from 30 to 3000Mhz. Not sure what you can receive in your area? Here's the place to ask!

Moderator: yorky

gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

Rockjet wrote:A wealth of knowlege as usual G, thanks.

8)
:wink: Anytime
Rockjet
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Rockjet »

George, a question for you...

As a pilot what would happen if you flew inside a restricted airspace such as RAAF Pearce or over Garden Island. No reason for asking, just curious.

8)
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

Rockjet wrote:George, a question for you...

As a pilot what would happen if you flew inside a restricted airspace such as RAAF Pearce or over Garden Island. No reason for asking, just curious.

8)
Too many to list - And Im sure - Always Rx will back me up on this.

If you stray into controlled airspace - at anytime -tower will call upon you to turn away to a new heading immediateley and then expect CASA to chew your ass when you return.

Failing to adhear to a order to stay away from restricted airspace - especially over Garden Island, and Pearce - could result in the Pilot being shot down - It's Not a joke and could happen.

A response like this happend recently in the Eastern States - http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx? ... ntID=39926

I will find more info and let you know.
Always RX

Post by Always RX »

What I heard had nothing at all to do with the visit of USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD-6), USS Denver (LPD-9) and USS Rushmore (LSD-47).
What I heard was coming from the vicinity of HMAS Stirling and involved the HMAS Arunta and support elements. The scenario I heard was the Arunta enforcing the `exclusion zone` around the "Qar El Amaya" oil facility. The exercise included repeated warnings by radio for unidentified vessels (Dhows) to change course and leave the area and then the `firing` of warning shots at non-compliant vessels and the shadowing of other vessels in the area. I am assuming this scenario training is pretty standard for crews due to rotate through the gulf.
As far as the violation of restricted airspace goes.. read section 5 of THIS DOCUMENT
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

Thanks Always RX for clearing that up.

Also, a friend contributed to my enquiry;
The Civil Aviation Act 1988 and Civil Aviation Regulations (CAR) 1988 cover this situation.

CASA can choose what type of enforcement action, depending upon the circumstances -eg. depending on whether the breach was intentional or unintentional, and whether the pilot had a history of airspace violations, etc.

See these links:
Acts, Regulations and Rules:
http://casa.gov.au/rules/index.htm

Enforcement Actions:
http://casa.gov.au/rules/action/index.htm

Regulation 140: Prohibited, Restricted and Danger Areas in the CAR 1988 is probably the bit you need. It mentions the penalties as "Penalty Units", but I couldn't find how much this currently is. The only reference is under the Enforcement Manual (written in 2004) which stated that one Penalty Unit was $110.

140 Prohibited, restricted and danger areas

(4) The pilot in command of an aircraft must not fly the aircraft over a prohibited area.
Penalty: 25 penalty units.

(5) The pilot in command of an aircraft must not fly the aircraft over a restricted area if the flight is not in accordance with conditions specified in the notice declaring the area to be a restricted area.

(6) If the pilot in command of an aircraft finds that the aircraft is over a prohibited area or a restricted area in contravention of subregulation (4) or (5), the pilot must:
(a) immediately have the aircraft flown to a position where it is not over the area; and
(b) when the aircraft reaches a position where it is not over the area, report the circumstances to air traffic control; and
(c) land at such aerodrome as is designated by air traffic control and, for that purpose, obey any instructions given by air traffic control as to the movement of the aircraft.

(7) An offence against subregulation (4), (5) or (6) is an offence of strict liability.

Note For strict liability, see section 6.1 of the Criminal Code.
Rockjet
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Rockjet »

Thanks guys, what are the areas around Perth that are considered no fly zones?
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

Rockjet wrote:Thanks guys, what are the areas around Perth that are considered no fly zones?
Garden Island - Pearce Airbase - the Live firing ranges to the North (I think Gingin) - A few more I beleive. Will let you know full list.
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

Okay these are the areas currently listed for Perth Area as restricted;

http://www.casa.gov.au/pilots/download/jandakot.pdf

R 161A&B - (Cockburn Sound) - area towards Garden Island.

R140A GARDEN ISLAND (R140A)

LANCELIN AIRSPACE (LNX)
PEARCE AIRSPACE (PEX)

Thats about it really - Im sure Always RX will provide us with more.

R = Restricted
D = Danger

There is a massive list here for you - Regarding Restricted Areas

http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/PUB ... _done2.pdf
So there are heaps of them around Perth - Hope this helps
bomber
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by bomber »

:D
Last edited by bomber on Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always RX

Post by Always RX »

Yeah that about explains what I heard bomber...cheers.

Captain George.. I think those links you have provided re: PRD`s explain it all pretty well mate. All of the Restricted and Danger areas in the Perth area and the altitudes to which they apply can also be viewed online using this
LINK and launching the Interactive Visual Guide to Perth. You will also see many of the common waypoints and reporting points that you will hear on airband radio everyday. The Interactive guide is an online version of a paper chart called a VTC ( visual terminal chart ) that a pilot would typically carry when flying over Perth.
Always RX

Post by Always RX »

If you take a look at the latest ATSB weekly summary you`ll see that incursions into PRD`s happen fairly regularly. I think that only those incidents deemed to be of a serious nature are investigated by CASA.
celestial_insight
Banned

Post by celestial_insight »

Coming back from Rotto yesterday I stopped to watch "chopper 6" (whoever they are - white helicopter with several red stripes on the side) spend about an hour doing a training excercise with TW 160 (Falcon) yesterday afternoon. They headed up and down the water practicing winching from a vessel to the chopper. After about 10 mins TW 152 joined the excercise. All seemed to go well. I got some video with my mobile phone but it turned out so small it may as well have been a couple of ants having sex. From the radio chat both parties seemed very happy with the sortie.
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

Roger that Always RX ;)

I was shocked to see the incursion in that Pdf link you sent - of the DA-40 Diamond Star - strayed into R166A without clearance :shock:

Im betting the plane was from The Aeroplane Company - as not many DA-40's in WA.

Love that VTC interactive chart - gives people a good view on it.

:P
Always RX

Post by Always RX »

Gday C_I that sounds to me like Sikorsky S76A VH-LHZ. Was this the one?

Sorry about the crappy pic but its all I have...I am sure if you punch that rego into airliners.net or somewhere you will get some better ones.
celestial_insight
Banned

Post by celestial_insight »

That's her! Why is she called chopper 6? Also, it looked like it had wires running from the other side of the tail to the main body, like maybe some sort of HF antenna?

EDIT : I just had a close look at the photo and you can see the shadow of the wires...