Naval activity

General questions on scanning from 30 to 3000Mhz. Not sure what you can receive in your area? Here's the place to ask!

Moderator: yorky

Always RX

Naval activity

Post by Always RX »

For those on the coast ...I am listening now to some naval training activity on 156.475mhz. Scenario appears to be a coalition warship protecting a persian gulf oil facility (well one with an arab name anyway)...really very interesting.
It caught my attention when i was scanning and heard somebody threatening the use of deadly force and warning shots.
celestial_insight
Banned

Post by celestial_insight »

Dunno if you are in Perth as your location doesn't click with me. There is a warship in Fremantle (has been for nearly a week). It may be running through wargames? The freq you refer to to Channel 69 VHF which isn't commonly used here. The warship regularly puts out broadcasts on Channel 16 VHF to advise nearby vessels that it is here and can be contacted on Channel 10 VHF, Channel 12 VHF (Fremantle Ports channel) and Channel 16 VHF (Dstress and Calling). TW 152, TW 154, PV9 and PV5 spent most of their weekend protecting the warship from protesters, paddlers and sticky beak recreational vessels, as well as trying to manage the ferries past it.
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

What is PV5 and PV9?
Rockjet
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Rockjet »

celestial_insight wrote:Dunno if you are in Perth as your location doesn't click with me. There is a warship in Fremantle (has been for nearly a week). It may be running through wargames? The freq you refer to to Channel 69 VHF which isn't commonly used here. The warship regularly puts out broadcasts on Channel 16 VHF to advise nearby vessels that it is here and can be contacted on Channel 10 VHF, Channel 12 VHF (Fremantle Ports channel) and Channel 16 VHF (Dstress and Calling). TW 152, TW 154, PV9 and PV5 spent most of their weekend protecting the warship from protesters, paddlers and sticky beak recreational vessels, as well as trying to manage the ferries past it.
Any idea what the ship is or country its from?

8)
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

Rockjet wrote:
celestial_insight wrote:Dunno if you are in Perth as your location doesn't click with me. There is a warship in Fremantle (has been for nearly a week). It may be running through wargames? The freq you refer to to Channel 69 VHF which isn't commonly used here. The warship regularly puts out broadcasts on Channel 16 VHF to advise nearby vessels that it is here and can be contacted on Channel 10 VHF, Channel 12 VHF (Fremantle Ports channel) and Channel 16 VHF (Dstress and Calling). TW 152, TW 154, PV9 and PV5 spent most of their weekend protecting the warship from protesters, paddlers and sticky beak recreational vessels, as well as trying to manage the ferries past it.
Any idea what the ship is or country its from?

8)
From What it looked like - I think its an Aircraft Carrier - didnt get a good look the other night as it was dark - but yeah - Its an Aircraft Carrier - unsure on the name - I know some sailors told us - at the Taste of Chaos concert a few nights ago - a few of them received injuries as a result from the mosh pit.....

So yeah - I think one of them said they were from Arizona????
celestial_insight
Banned

Post by celestial_insight »

dazla wrote:What is PV5 and PV9?
PV5 and 9 are Patrol vessels for what is now called Department of Planning and Infrastructure - Marine Safety (used to be Department of Transport - Marine Safety, and prior to that was called Harbour and Lights). They are the boats that patrol the waterways and get you for speeding, check lifejackets and flares etc.

The ships are from the US. One was USS Rushmore and I can't remember what the other one was called.
Rockjet
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Rockjet »

Toottoot
Banned

Post by Toottoot »

It was the USS Bonhomme Richard or something - not actually an aircraft carrier but a marines landing vessel (LHP6). There were four vessels - saw one leaving early sun. Also a refuelling ship was in.
Chicky
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Chicky »

Oh yes.... they were from the US of A :wink:
West Coast Eagles
AFL Premiers 1992, 1994 & 2006 and....... ;)
R/Up 1991 & 2005
Since 1987 and still going strong :)
bomber
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by bomber »

[/quote]So yeah - I think one of them said they were from Arizona????[/quote]

I gather you are tlking about where there hip is based in US rather than a ships name as the USS Arizona is sitting on the bottom of pearl harbour and from memory the name has never been used for any other ships since.
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

bomber wrote:
So yeah - I think one of them said they were from Arizona????[/quote]

I gather you are tlking about where there hip is based in US rather than a ships name as the USS Arizona is sitting on the bottom of pearl harbour and from memory the name has never been used for any other ships since.[/quote]

Based.,.I meant based - Not the actual Arizon itself - relax :lol: :wink:
bomber
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by bomber »

USS Arizona is a very interesting memorial if ever that way. Sad memorial though to know so many were lost ine the wreck though.
Steve
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Steve »

VHF Channel 69 is commonly used by the Navy here.
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

Something useful to everyone -

Including the names of the ships in port.
http://www.fremantleports.com.au/MediaP ... s/4268.asp
Rockjet
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Rockjet »

A wealth of knowlege as usual G, thanks.

8)