Mobile Phone receiving comment as heard on 6PR

General questions on scanning from 30 to 3000Mhz. Not sure what you can receive in your area? Here's the place to ask!

Moderator: yorky

celestial_insight
Banned

Mobile Phone receiving comment as heard on 6PR

Post by celestial_insight »

Toottoot
Banned

Post by Toottoot »

Would that frequency be a microwave link? Sounds like he was talking about the relays but arnt they all FO now?
Bonez

Post by Bonez »

Somehow I don't believe that the microwave links are analog in any form at all.

I'm sorry but I don't think this guy really knows what he's talking about.

However, I will stand corrected if someone buys an AOR scanner and proves me wrong. Lol :)
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

Bonez wrote: I'm sorry but I don't think this guy really knows what he's talking about.
He said if you tune your scanner to "thirty thousand, one hundred" you hear phone calls. So the screen on the scanner says:

Code: Select all

Mistaking the . for a , and you have 30.1Mhz. The classic old-school analogue cordless phone frequency. These old phones are getting rarer (huge telescopic antennas are so 80s) but I suppose there's still enough around to provide a signal.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
Bonez

Post by Bonez »

Oh, of course. The old analog phones. I thought he was talking about 30 gig digital links.

Yes, you'd be surprised what you can hear on 30.1 with a 27mhz station master antenna in your backyard. (Not that i've tried, but just what i've heard!)

edit: just listened to it again, and the guy did say "30 thousand megs" but I do know what he actually meant.

The guy is still a bit confused because he thinks it's mobile phones he can hear, not landline-based cordless phones :)
Toottoot
Banned

Post by Toottoot »

Yes you just have to be careful with the inane ramblings of old people. we have some at work and they just go off on a tangent sometimes. Its not their fault though so you should still be nice to them.
Steve
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Steve »

I heard that guy too. Do AOR or Yupiteru even make scanners that do 30 gigs?