Trunking in Perth

General questions on scanning from 30 to 3000Mhz. Not sure what you can receive in your area? Here's the place to ask!

Moderator: yorky

747400sp

Trunking in Perth

Post by 747400sp »

Hi every one can some one help with a list of the Trunking network Groups
I mean freqs allocated to each group any updates from the very good list of overall channels already on this forum
Any help would be great.
Thanks in advance
Mark. :?:
P.S The 400mhz Channel allocationd as well Please.
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Re: Trunking in Perth

Post by vk6hgr »

747400sp wrote:Hi every one can some one help with a list of the Trunking network Groups
I mean freqs allocated to each group any updates from the very good list of overall channels already on this forum
Any help would be great.
Thanks in advance
Mark. :?:
P.S The 400mhz Channel allocationd as well Please.
Can't help there but be sure you share with us what you find Mark :-)

Considering the nuimber of requests for this sort of info recently, do we need a seperate trunking networks area?
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

Can't hurt - if it's dead quiet then we can use our special admin powers to consolidate threads back into General.

But as you say - with the amount of interest in Trunking, it'll probably be worth putting up a separate category for people to post in.
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
747400sp

Post by 747400sp »

I second that.
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

Sorry if i sound a bit stupid but what is trunking anyways?
JG103 :P
747400sp

Post by 747400sp »

Hi JG 103 You dont know if you dont ask so in simple terms Trunking is a group of Freq's which are shared between a number of company's for comunications . As each company wants to talk there ID is sent to the Data Channel and is sent to the next frequency not in use in the group you need a trunk Tracking Scanner to follow them around the freq's . As simple as I can put it .
The Freq's are Located between 415MHz - 418MHz and 865MHz - 870MHz Hope this Helps you .
Cheers Mark.
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

Oh ok, cool, thanks Mark. JG103 :P
Brian

Trunking in Perth

Post by Brian »

Hi All,

Off the top of my head I can't help out with a lot of specifics but I will try and fill in as many gaps as possible. While Perth doesn't have as much trunking as some of the other Capital cities (Melbourne is at the top of the chart, with Sydney, then Brisbane, Adelaide, Perth, Canberra, then Hobart.) it still has a bit to be listened to. Trunking in Perth (and surrounds) is offered by Comm Site Rentals, I think Motorola, and a number of private systems.

In Australia there are some main Trunking bands allocated for trunking. These bands are VHF, UHF and 800 MHz. Outside of these bands there are now more and more trunk systems starting to show up as well in places like the 480 - 520 MHz band where a large chunk of spectrum was sold off not so long ago.

The VHF trunk band has 240 channels spaced 12.5 KHz away from each other and lives between 162.0625 MHz and 165.0500.

The UHF trunk band has 200 channels spaced 12.5 KHz away from each other and lives between 415.5750 MHz and 418.0625 MHz.

The 800 MHz trunk band has 200 channels spaced at 25 KHz away from each other and lives between 865.0125 and 869.9875.

There are two basic flavours of trunking. Message trunking (such as MPT-1327) and Transmission Trunking such as Motorola, LTR and EDACS. None of the Uniden trunk tracker scanners on the market cater for MPT trunking. To be able to track MPT you will need either a Win Radio with the MPT trunking suite, or to buy an MPT modem from TBSA, or use some of the MPT decoding software now available on the market.

MPT though by it's nature because it uses message trunking isn't that hard to listen to. The control channel never changes frequency so you can lock that out, and just scan the rest of the frequencies on that particular site. Each transmission stays open for around one and a half minutes or until it is cancelled. When the message times out you just scan the channels to pick it up again.

In WA you can probably forget about EDACS. I have never heard of any EDACS trunking over that way. This leaves Motorola and LTR.

Motorola once again has a couple of different types of trunking. However to make it easy you will only find Motorola Type II trunking in Australia and it is usually plan 1.

LTR is usually offered by Vertel or Comm Site Rentals. However if they did have 800 MHz LTR trunking it was possibly bought out by Motorola.

This is getting long so I should finish it off.

Motorola trunk systems run control channels at 3600 bps. These control channels can sometimes alternate frequencies over a number of days (max of 4 alternating frequencies), or they can stay on a steady frequency all the time. It all depends on the set up.

LTR runs data at around 9600 bps from memory, and every channel is a control channel. One of the ways to distinguish LTR is you will hear a break in the squelch every 10 seconds (that's the data).

MPT rund a control channel at 1200 bps and the control channel is on a steady frequency (doesn't swap channels all the time).

I have masses more information on trunking in general, how to work out trunk systems, and can no doubt pull frequencies and systems together with a bit of research. There is also a lot of trunking information at a Yahoo group called Trunk Scan Australia. Obviously I don't want to drag people away from here, because this is a great forum to discuss things, but if you are after more info there are other places to look also.

If anyone wants more information just post back your questions and anything specific you are looking for so I can answer your questions.

Regards,
Brian

Post by Brian »

If you want to know what sort of sound you are hearing on a frequency, use this website to help you out. Down towards the bottom are all the Motorola stuff. Just under that is EFJ LTR for the LTR sounds. Under that again is the MPT sounds.

http://www.kb9ukd.com/digital/

Regards,
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

Brian,

Thanks for your very informative post!
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.