Government Radio Network

General questions on scanning from 30 to 3000Mhz. Not sure what you can receive in your area? Here's the place to ask!

Moderator: yorky

dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Government Radio Network

Post by dazla »

I have noticed other states have what they call the GRN, this is used by all of the governments departments, do we have that here. There is also a radio channel called life line, this is a radio network between all of the essential services, does this get used.
Per Ardua-Ad Astra
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Re: Government Radio Network

Post by vk6hgr »

dazla wrote:I have noticed other states have what they call the GRN, this is used by all of the governments departments, do we have that here. There is also a radio channel called life line, this is a radio network between all of the essential services, does this get used.
I haven't heard of it. Are you talking WA here?

With the firies moving from low-band VHF to UHF, the top 4 emergency serivces (police, fire, ambulance, SES) will all be in the same band. It would be technically simple for a shared frequency to be set up.

The hard thing to solve would be the politics...
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

I believe that lifeline is a radio network setup between SJA, WAPOL, FESA, MRDWA. It allows the services to communicate during an emergency such as bridge collapse or an earthquake.
Per Ardua-Ad Astra
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

dazla wrote:I believe that lifeline is a radio network setup between SJA, WAPOL, FESA, MRDWA. It allows the services to communicate during an emergency such as bridge collapse or an earthquake.
As far as I am aware, there is no such thing? Only place I've heard 'lifeline' used is in State Emergency Management Committee documents, where it means:
Lifelines are defined as systems or networks that provide for the circulation of people, goods, services and information upon which health, safety, comfort and economic activity depend.
(eg, Western Power, Alinta, Water Corp, Telstra, MRWA)

If such a radio network existed, then the coroner wouldn't have made such strong comments about inter-agency radio communication in recent reports..
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

It must be a new thing, there is definatly a radio network called "lifeline" and it is operated between the emergency services.
Per Ardua-Ad Astra