Software Defined Radio

General questions on scanning from 30 to 3000Mhz. Not sure what you can receive in your area? Here's the place to ask!

Moderator: yorky

Nosferatu
Amateur callsign: VK6XS
Scanners and Receivers: Icom IC-R6
Icom IC-756
Yaesu FT-60R
Yaesu FT-2900R
Sangean ATS-909
Sangean DPR-34+

Software Defined Radio

Post by Nosferatu »

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 1288276639

Has anyone tried this Software Defined Radio ? I just bought it ... I guess it is quite good by judging its specification ... I mean pretty wide banded ...
yorky

Re: Software Defined Radio

Post by yorky »

It's a bit pricy for what I'm guessing is just a $19 bit of kit inside it ( http://warsug.info/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=12091 ). But hey if it works I'm sure you'll still be happy.
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
Nosferatu
Icom IC-756
Yaesu FT-60R
Yaesu FT-2900R
Sangean ATS-909
Sangean DPR-34+

Post by Nosferatu »

Yeah ... It is expensive ... But it is the only one with the same chip that receives HF ... That smaller ones are not saying that the can receive HF ... I might be wrong ... Anyway, this particular one has 2 antenna connector ... One for HF and the other one for VHF/UHF ... Well, I guess it is still cheaper than WinRadio ... Hahahaha ...
yorky

Post by yorky »

Ahhh ok yes I don't think the cheap ones do HF.
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
Nosferatu
Icom IC-756
Yaesu FT-60R
Yaesu FT-2900R
Sangean ATS-909
Sangean DPR-34+

Post by Nosferatu »

I have received the SDR and tried it with SDR# software and Zadig driver ... Not bad ... works really well on FM Broadcast Band ... nice and clear ... And I have tried to listen to the Jandakot ATIS ( AM Mode ) ... I can hear it but not so good ... I guess it is not too sensitive in that band ... And also I tried the local Narrowband Broadcast radio (151.6750 MHz Thu Nguyen) ... Pretty clear but not as good as my ICOM IC-R6 scanner ... and tried the HF ... useless ... not picking up anything ... hahaha ... I guess I was ripped off ... Oh well ... That's my first SDR ... I guess the mantra ' You get what you paid for' still apply ... But I cannot afford a WinRadio ... hahaha ...

However I might try with better antenna next time ... because at the moment I was using the crappy antenna included with it ... and for the HF ... I tried with a Diamond RH795 which probably not the correct antenna as it says it is for 70-1000 Mhz ... but it picked up nothing ... not even a noise ... And yeah ... picked up nothing on AM broadcast either

:mrgreen:
iiCasper
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBC93XLT , Yaesu VR-120D

Post by iiCasper »

I know this is a few month old but I do have 4 SDR devices including the one you have. I do pick up a fair bit with this unit. The reason this one is dearer is that it has HF.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk