Which scanner should I use ...?

General questions on scanning from 30 to 3000Mhz. Not sure what you can receive in your area? Here's the place to ask!

Moderator: yorky

colin
150+ posts
150+ posts
Amateur callsign: VK6FITN
Scanners and Receivers: RTL2832U with RTL_Airband
Tait 8200

Which scanner should I use ...?

Post by colin »

OK, so I live in the bush, but travel metro on a regular basis, and not afraid of PC's, Raspberry Pi's or ARM's.

I'm currently using SDR-Radio and a RTL dongle to broadcast the Northam shire (Bobakine Hill) DFES channel 329 and 5 of the simplex channels. SDR-Radio allows 6 VFO's. (Going to change a simplex for Air Intel one day :-)

So, is there anything that a nice scanner (and I assume that the UBCD396XT is a nice scanner - I have only ever used Uniden, and RTL-SDR) can do that an in-car PC cannot?

Currently I have a UBC355XLT in my car, and can't key frequencies in on demand - this is these scanner I want to upgrade.

I believe that I can build a mini-itx car PC for around the $500 mark, and it will do more than just scan. A mini6410 for less, and a Pi for even less.

Please, any comments, thoughts, pit holes, or "I've done ...."
Colin.
yorky

Re: Which scanner should I use ...?

Post by yorky »

Originally I had the idea of running multiple SDR's on a PC but never really tried. Power to the unit/power when cranking the car, and sound out are the main considerations. The 396XT I think can enter in a frequency on demand. Maybe.

Considering the cost of a new scanner its almost the same price to run a PC, although the headaches when things don't work oy vey ](*,) and not portable. Heat in cars with a PC is also an issue in summer.
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
colin
150+ posts
150+ posts
Amateur callsign: VK6FITN
Scanners and Receivers: RTL2832U with RTL_Airband
Tait 8200

Post by colin »

Hi Yorky,

There now exists a dc-dc power supply with the smarts to survive cold cranking and shutdown / sleep the pc - http://www.mini-box.com/M2-ATX-160w-Int ... wer-Supply.

Still waiting for someone to solve the WA Sun problem - that's why I'm considering the ARM11 or RPi, not the same grunt though. Some of the mini-itx apparently run cool enough to not need a fan, but I expect they don't run as fast as an I7

Was thinking of replacing the AM/FM/ CD thing that is currently only used as line in from said scanner, and modifying the wiring harness to suit. I can use an SDR for when I need to listen to the cricket :-)

If I go down the RPi path, they will be small dedicated machines, and might look something like a mini blade server in a single din unit :-) To much geek?
Colin.
yorky

Post by yorky »

Yes true the DC-DC supplies are available, never used one myself though. There is a product (appears to be this one http://www.mini-box.com/picoUPS-120-12V ... tegory=981 ) that also integrates a small backup battery circuit, that you just hook a small SLA battery into if it dies during crank.

The WA Sun Problem pee's me off big time. I absolutely hate leaving my car in the sun in anything over 30-35C. Can not be good for some components/batteries with no airflow.

And never enough geek. Neverrrrr!!!
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
kylep
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by kylep »

Will be following this with interest. Have had a play with SDR on an old windows tower I have here, attempting to scan the GRN here in Sydney (P25 trunked). Haven't had a lot of success but haven't spent a lot of time on it yet. Also have a Raspberry Pi here that is doing nothing currently that I need to put to good use and this purpose or as a media box are probably the most likely.
robbage
Amateur callsign: VK6UFO_VK6RN
Scanners and Receivers:  
Scanners/receivers
Diamond Welz WS1000 wideband handheld
Radioshack Pro 28 handheld
Uniden UBC72XLT handheld
Uniden UBC73XLT handheld
Uniden UBC330CRS desktop

Two-way
Yaesu VX-3R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wideband RX handheld
Yaesu FT-1802M 2m Ham TRX mobile x 2
Yaesu FT-7800R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-208H 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-706MKIIG all-band all-mode Ham TRX mobile
Icom IC-V85 2m VHF Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-UVD1P VHF/UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-679P VHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-713 UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld

Post by robbage »

colin wrote:I believe that I can build a mini-itx car PC for around the $500 mark
I built a mini-itx home PC for x-mas for $240 not counting the kb with touchpad (connects to the big-screen TV). That box would be overkill for a car PC but would do the job. It can run from a laptop car charger. Lots of cheap touch screen HDMI displays available now too - the hardest decision is screen size. 10" might be a bit big for the dashboard.

Then there's the NUC and the Brix. You can get a basic Brix for $155 locally. Add RAM and HDD. Not sure if that box could keep up with SDR Sharp or a Linux SDR but I think it should...

The Mini-Box PSUs work well. I have the PicoPSU 160 running a Via EN-15000 on my desk and an old 60w board they don't sell any more running an old Via Epia 800 IPCop box. Then there's this little itx case which includes a 60w PSU I got for $70.

I've also tried a couple of 1.6GHz dual core netbooks. They struggle with SDR Sharp under Windows 7 but might be OK under Linux SDR. It also solves the car dropout problem when starting the engine. A decent dual core 2.2GHz net/notebook with HDMI out would be interesting to try.

The RPi 2 is looking pretty good though.
Rob
OF78WD
 Amateur moderator
Arguing with a fool proves there are two
matth2004
Amateur callsign: VK6MAH

Post by matth2004 »

Running an R pi model B here and it's working well on raspbian, rtl-sdr and multimon-ng. Just using a NooElec RTL-SDR dongle that I got for about $10
Matt
VK6MAH