Emergency Services

General questions on scanning from 30 to 3000Mhz. Not sure what you can receive in your area? Here's the place to ask!

Moderator: yorky

meg
Amateur callsign: VK6LUX
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu: FT990, FT857, FT7800, VX7R. Icom: ID800H. Old RS scanner.

Re: ESL..

Post by meg »

Fastlane wrote:Think about things in these terms - there are some 760 volunteer bush fire brigades ALONE across this state. Many of these have not been well funded in the past when the responsibility lay with local government - some local govts and communities simply couldnt afford it. Now with the ESL, FESA is having to play catchup in a big way - getting out of service vehicles which in some cases were up to 30 years old.. providing protective equipment to people that never had it in the past.. its a huge task
This is very true, there are alot of improvements happening for the volunteer brigades (I can't speak for any other area), but there is also alot more to do unfortunately. The brigade in the area next to us has a tanker that's about 40 years old and no word as yet on when that might get replaced.

Thanks for the explanation about industrial vs residential areas and fire response. I would still have thought there was a decent sized population in the Balcatta area at least, but it's a while since I've been there so I stand corrected :)
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

I for one am very happy with the idea of the Emergency Services Levy as a separate charge on your council rates instead of paying via insurance premiums.

As Fastlane mentioned previously, it was easy to not pay towards the fire services by either not having insurance, or by insuring overseas.

At least this way *everyone* pays instead of just some people.

As for who the levy goes to - I think the volunteer brigades are the most under-resourced at the moment, so I can understand why a fair bit would be heading in their direction for the first few years.
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
scottwa2468

Emergency Services

Post by scottwa2468 »

*** Message Deleted ***

Please don't shout. It's not necessary and is considered rude.

Admin: Doug.
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Spending on Career and Volunteer FRS is by FESA. Spending on Bush Fire Brigades is by the local Shire/Town/City councils. (eg spending on Quinns Rocks VBFB is by the City of Wanneroo.) If you don't like the way money is spent then complain to those organisations - not here as this is a Scanner Forum.

Onya Gavin - great site! :D
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

WPXZBP wrote:Spending on Career and Volunteer FRS is by FESA. Spending on Bush Fire Brigades is by the local Shire/Town/City councils. (eg spending on Quinns Rocks VBFB is by the City of Wanneroo.) If you don't like the way money is spent then complain to those organisations - not here as this is a Scanner Forum.

Onya Gavin - great site! :D
Considering this thread hasnt been active since July, I find it curious that you make a post like this. As you will see, one of the Site Admins has also participated in the thread. If you dont want to participate in the discussion, no-one is forcing you to read it? :D

FWIW the funds being spent on the vol. brigades come from FESA through the ESL. Councils need to submit a budget to FESA before they get anything, so it is not all down to council what money is spent on - if FESA doesnt want them spending money on something, they dont get the dosh. This is particularly true with regards to appliance and equipment purchases - just 'coz a council wants a XX appliance for a brigade, they wont necessarily get it. FESA decides who gets what appliances based on risk levels and brigade profiling.
meg
Amateur callsign: VK6LUX
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu: FT990, FT857, FT7800, VX7R. Icom: ID800H. Old RS scanner.

Post by meg »

Fastlane wrote:FWIW the funds being spent on the vol. brigades come from FESA through the ESL.
Thats right - FESAs plans for any particular area are becoming more and more readable as a result :wink: And they may not tie in with the local council plans at all...