Yaesu FRG-7

General questions on scanning from 30 to 3000Mhz. Not sure what you can receive in your area? Here's the place to ask!

Moderator: yorky

allycat
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden 536HP DMR,NXDN Uniden USDS100 DMR,NXDN Codan NGT

Yaesu FRG-7

Post by allycat »

Im thinking of getting an old Yaesu FRG-7.I havnt been into HF scanners before and im wondering what i can expect to hear?My main interests would be WAPOL,SES ,VKS737 and other 4x4 networks and maybe marine HF.
Thanks AL
robbage
Amateur callsign: VK6UFO_VK6RN
Scanners and Receivers:  
Scanners/receivers
Diamond Welz WS1000 wideband handheld
Radioshack Pro 28 handheld
Uniden UBC72XLT handheld
Uniden UBC73XLT handheld
Uniden UBC330CRS desktop

Two-way
Yaesu VX-3R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wideband RX handheld
Yaesu FT-1802M 2m Ham TRX mobile x 2
Yaesu FT-7800R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-208H 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-706MKIIG all-band all-mode Ham TRX mobile
Icom IC-V85 2m VHF Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-UVD1P VHF/UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-679P VHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-713 UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld

Re: Yaesu FRG-7

Post by robbage »

The FRG-7 was a hugely popular receiver and is a favourite with collectors still. It's not a scanner though so you'll be spinning dials.
You can expect to hear the regular shortwave broadcasts and hams as well as some 27MHz CB. I'm not sure you'll hear much WAPOL or SES though.
You'll need a decent outdoor antenna like a longwire. A rubber ducky's not going to be much use on an FRG-7.
Rob
OF78WD
 Amateur moderator
Arguing with a fool proves there are two
Blinky
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Blinky »

A FRG-7 was my first purchase when I got interested in radio. As robbage said it is not a radio with memory channels so you would either have to turn the dial or sit on one frequency. Perhaps something that has computer control like one of the many SDR's around would be more suitable as you could store frequencies in memory and scan them. There are some not too expensive up to mind blowingly expensive.

A FRG-7 is a good starter receiver for HF and amazingly on the second hand market nowadays for around the same price I paid for mine new so seemingly hold their value somewhat.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those who do not.
allycat
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden 536HP DMR,NXDN Uniden USDS100 DMR,NXDN Codan NGT

Post by allycat »

I got the FRG-7 for $150.Ive run a long wire around the backyard fence.Only thing i seem to be getting is local AM stations.
Blinky
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Blinky »

Have you tried all antenna connections? From memory there were a couple of connection points on the rear panel. One was for low frequency (under 2MHz, ie, local AM) and another for shortwave. Also just in case the connection points are not working try connecting the wire to the centre "hole" in the SO-239 connector when looking around on shortwave. If you have not done so, when you change bands you have to adjust the preselector for maximum noise.

Make sure you have not flipped the attenuator by mistake. Thats all that immediately springs to mind. It's probably been 20 years since I had mine.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those who do not.