Are scanners good or bad for the boys in blue?

General questions on scanning from 30 to 3000Mhz. Not sure what you can receive in your area? Here's the place to ask!

Moderator: yorky

Are scanners better for Police Operations or worse?

I think people who listen to scanners are more than likely one of those who would help out the authorities
78%
I think people who listen to scanners are more than likely going to hinder the authorities
22%

Total votes: 36

Brett

Are scanners good or bad for the boys in blue?

Post by Brett »

Well it's made me think, this digital thing and all. Do you think that the majority of people listening to scanners are going to help or hinder Police in their daily operations?

Personally I think there's more good than bad out there. I believe that a majority would help the coppers out instead of hold them back

I look at the cost of going digital for the boys and the assistance that they would lose from the public. Also from what I hear when they go digital, if they lose a base unit the whole system can go down.

One of the guys where I work is familiar with digital systems and thinks it'll cost our state government to much in the long run for a system that really isn't as useful as they think. So what do you think?
Last edited by Brett on Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doogues71
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by doogues71 »

yes i think they can be good for the boys and girls in blue.I've helped them catch a badie as a result of my having a scanner.
Brett

Post by Brett »

I'd like to see some peoples personal opinions about their votes. I reckon there's a lot of people out here that would use a scanner to the advantage of the coppers to help out in a way. I know I would.
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

I would to, if i ever saw a stolen car i heard on the scanner, id follow it from a distance and lead d cops straight to it. One thing i would never use my scanner for is to go to a scene and hinder an operation or job, another thing id never do is use my scanner to commit a crime.
Walks
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Walks »

Most listeners to the Police freq would be tucked up at home. Very few would be out and about and able to assist when sh|t goes down.

Police want to catch crooks and I think that we will have a better head start with secure comms rather than crooks being able to listen in and the Police hoping that a 'listener' is able to assist them.

When it comes down to the thin end of things, report all susp behaviour/vehicles/people.

Walks.
I was there when they flicked the switch
June 2, 2008
Donga
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Donga »

JG-103 I would not advise you to follow a stolen vehicle even from a distance. I remember many years ago when I was a child my mother had a scanner. She would listen to it all the time. One day a car had backfired out the front of our house quite loudly so several people rang in saying they heard gunshots I did not see the car backfire but was outside and quickly ran inside after hearing it. We did not have a phone at the time so we could not ring the police to let them know it was a car backfire so when the police drove by they stopped and asked my mother if she had heard or seen anything. She told them that it was a car backfire and mentioned to the police that I had ran inside like a scared rabbit. The police laughed and when clearing the job they told vki that a member of the public had seen the incident and it was a car that had backfired. They then joked to vki about me running inside like a scared rabbit. At the time they knew that we would have heard it as they had seen and heard the scanner so they finished off by saying thanks to my mother over air.
Turbo
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Turbo »

I have also personally lead the police to 2 stolen vehicles they were looking for as reported over the scanner. Bear in mind I have only been a cameraman for about 8 months.

It is my job to listen to the scanner and go out to a scene, but we always make sure we stay well out of the way.

I personally think having scanners hinder the police more than help. I think about how long I have been listening to a scanner and how many times I have actually helped? Some crimanls must have scanners.

What I am trying to say is I think the amount of criminals that have got away using a scanner far out-weighs the amount of people that have helped the police by using a scanner. Agree? Dis-agree?

Just my opinion.

PS: I think the pole should have more options :P
Aztech

Post by Aztech »

I think that with the new digital system, people SHOULD be able to apply for a digital listening license.

eg, Media, Towtruck Drivers and whoever else who has a valid reason to be able to listen.

The police could then have a List of who can listen, and WHO is listening.

They could even do Background + Police Clearance checks to see if the people who are applying to listen, are doing it for the right reasons.
What do you think ?
westernwedgey
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by westernwedgey »

I agree, licensed/registered listeners...

Don't know what we would then listen to them on though???lol
blade

Post by blade »

well last night a police car from the chase in mandurah asked for any towies listening to come and help them as they were stuck and also had a fire. vki asked the officer where he was and that was given and i guess a towie went to help.

some good things come out of scanners but lots of the baddies have scanners and portable ones to see what is going on around them.

my 2c worth
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

Aztech wrote:I think that with the new digital system, people SHOULD be able to apply for a digital listening license.
That's got a snowball's chance in a blast furnace of happening.

Even if they did go allowing certain people to listen in, the digital system is brand new... the radios are not cheap!
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
GC101
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by GC101 »

Last edited by GC101 on Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brett

Post by Brett »

GC101 wrote:hmmm probably more of a hinderance, lots of not so good people have and use scanners to the disadvantage of the police, if you see something call 131 444, crimestopers or your local police station. like those car clubs carry scanner and all leave when vki tasks a vehicle etc etc...
very true, after listening to a few things over the last few weeks, i think it's going to be more beneficial to the Police to go digital.
GC101
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by GC101 »

Last edited by GC101 on Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

I have helped out coppers in freo a couple if times with arrest, normally when they get outnumbered or cant take an offender down. I have only done this on two occasions.

The biggest thing for the Police, and I found it myself when I was a Transit Guard, is you dont know if a member of the public is going to help you or hinder you.

I've been in a situation on a train where a fight broke out and three offenders sprayed my partner and myself with OC spray on the train. The main offender then ran down the train with his mate.

I was shocked when some of the local Perth trouble making lads grabbed them and assisted me in the arrest until we arrived at Perth.
Per Ardua-Ad Astra