Foxtel frequency

General questions on scanning from 30 to 3000Mhz. Not sure what you can receive in your area? Here's the place to ask!

Moderator: yorky

wognose

Foxtel frequency

Post by wognose »

Hi Guys,

I have read online that you can pick up the frequency for Foxtel on a scanner and connect it to the satellite decoder to get the picture. Has anyone else heard of this? Anyone know the Frequencey for foxtel? and how this actually works?

Thanks!
Donga
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Donga »

The foxtel signal to my knowledge is encrypted to prevent peolpe being able to get free foxtel. Before they went to digital you could get a satellite dish and a special card which was illegal to pick up fotel for free. If it is possible to get foxtel with a scanner and satellite decoder it would be illegal and I very much doubt that you will get the infomation from any WARSUG member as I am sure I speak for most. We at WARSUG do not support illegal activities. If you want infomation related to scanning freqs we can help. But not if its for illagal purposes.
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Re: Foxtel frequency

Post by vk6hgr »

wognose wrote:Hi Guys,

I have read online that you can pick up the frequency for Foxtel on a scanner and connect it to the satellite decoder to get the picture. Has anyone else heard of this? Anyone know the Frequencey for foxtel? and how this actually works?
It's not possible. Without going into boring detail, there's nothing to gain by connecting your scanner to your decoder. The signal remains encrypted regardless of what you do to the received signal and the only way to get pictures is to have a copy of the decryption keys - i.e. a subscriber card.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
wognose

According to this its not illegal.

Post by wognose »

Thanks for the replies, does this website mean anything to you guys? it says its not illegal. I have spoken to people on the CB radio and they say it is possible. All i really need to know is how i connect the scanner to the satellite decoder once i have the descriminator output modification.

http://www.scanaustralia.bigpondhosting ... oxtel.html
westernwedgey
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by westernwedgey »

Wognose, to the best of my knowledge the signal you are trying to pick up is still legally protected and owned by Foxtel whether it's through a carrier, repeater, transmitter, sattelite, yadda, yadda, yadda, signal or not...

That is - IN AUSTRALIA it is illegal to syphon a pay for view transmission

How would you feel filling up your tank of petrol only to have some freeloading wanker come along and syphon it all the time, for "free"
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

That website leaves a rather sour taste in my mouth after they ripped off the work of a few dedicated people from here and claimed it as their own. I don't have a problem with people republishing frequency lists etc from on here, but it's just good manners to quote the original source.

Anyhow, none of that is directly relevant to this particular issue, but reading the information on the page mentioned, it just sounds like complete nonsense. I'm no expert on TV signals, but I'm guessing that the signal stream is encrypted on land before being beamed up to the satellite. I can't imagine why they'd be doing the encryption in space...

My advice would be to try and verify the details before committing yourself to any project like this. (Theoretically of course, since this particular project is of dubious legality anyway.)
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
krusty

Post by krusty »

all foxtel signal are encrypted when they leave the earth. They get encryted at foxtel main base at north ryde in sydney. All outside out broadcast like the afl goes underground or get encryted when it leave the outside broastcast truck and then get un-encryted at foxtel. Also all uplink trucks have a encryted devices to stop other t.v network look at there pictures or feeds. All the stuff on the net is wrong and are wast of time and money. Because i work in T.V.
wognose

oh well

Post by wognose »

Peopls on the cb radio swear that it works so I will try. I already have the equipment so it shouldnt be a problem thanks guys
sportsforum

Post by sportsforum »

westernwedgey wrote:Wognose, to the best of my knowledge the signal you are trying to pick up is still legally protected and owned by Foxtel whether it's through a carrier, repeater, transmitter, sattelite, yadda, yadda, yadda, signal or not...

That is - IN AUSTRALIA it is illegal to syphon a pay for view transmission

How would you feel filling up your tank of petrol only to have some freeloading wanker come along and syphon it all the time, for "free"
You talk like you are the Marketing Director or public relations officer of FOXTEL, who really cares if this dude, is trying to hook into the signal.

Rupert Murdoch is in the top 30 richest people in the world, do you think he cares if one lone scanner operator or to be more precise, 30-40 good scanner operators can hook into his signal.

I seriously don't think it will make much difference to the $$ that finds his accounts on a monthly, weekly, daily, hourly basis.
Help the guy out and give him the info he so desires. And stop being so politically correct, its very boring you know!
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

sportsforum wrote:You talk like you are the Marketing Director or public relations officer of FOXTEL, who really cares if this dude, is trying to hook into the signal.

Help the guy out and give him the info he so desires. And stop being so politically correct, its very boring you know!
Apart from the fact that this thread is months old, the point is more that the purpose of this forum is to "provide a voice for responsible scanner users in Western Australia". That does NOT include a guide on how to rip off Pay-TV.

This isn't being politically correct, it's respecting the rules and objectives of this forum.
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.