Moderator: Froggles

vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Re: Train Lines - Disruptions - 2011

Post by vk6hgr »

doggie015 wrote:What the heck happened on the midland line this morning? The line was LOCKED DOWN and police were searching the trains at almost EVERY station! Does anyone have any insight beyond a "Security issue" on this?
http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western ... 6121830835
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
Magnus
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Magnus »

vk6hgr wrote:
doggie015 wrote:What the heck happened on the midland line this morning? The line was LOCKED DOWN and police were searching the trains at almost EVERY station! Does anyone have any insight beyond a "Security issue" on this?
http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western ... 6121830835

OMG! I used to live in one of those flats
doggie015

Post by doggie015 »

Holy...!

That explains why they were clearly looking for someone! Thanks!
Infernal
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBC60XLT

Post by Infernal »

I used to live at number 44 tenth Ave, that's not uncommon to see police and ambulances at that units
doggie015

Post by doggie015 »

A track disruption occurred earlier today on the midland line and as always TransPerth have been vague about the cause. Can someone shed some light into what caused this one?

Info: (If not taken down) http://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/Service ... fault.aspx
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/breaking/11447531/train-hits-car-in-guildford/ wrote:Train services on the Midland Line were interrupted this morning after a train hit a car in Guildford.

It is believed the train clipped the back of a Holden Monaro on Meadow Street just before 9am.

A police spokesman said the driver of the car had minor injuries.

A St John Ambulance crew attended the crash site near the Stirling Arms Hotel.

Train services on the Midland Line have now resumed.

Geoff
doggie015

Post by doggie015 »

That explains why services between Bassendean and Midland were suspended this morning... Glad the driver of the car is OK... I hope they stop at the line when the gates are down, lights are flashing and bells are sounding next time... They are there for a REASON!
robbage
Amateur callsign: VK6UFO_VK6RN
Scanners and Receivers:  
Scanners/receivers
Diamond Welz WS1000 wideband handheld
Radioshack Pro 28 handheld
Uniden UBC72XLT handheld
Uniden UBC73XLT handheld
Uniden UBC330CRS desktop

Two-way
Yaesu VX-3R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wideband RX handheld
Yaesu FT-1802M 2m Ham TRX mobile x 2
Yaesu FT-7800R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-208H 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-706MKIIG all-band all-mode Ham TRX mobile
Icom IC-V85 2m VHF Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-UVD1P VHF/UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-679P VHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-713 UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld

Post by robbage »

According to the reports on the radio this morning, the car may have been between the lowered boom gates.
Rob
OF78WD
 Amateur moderator
Arguing with a fool proves there are two
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

Ouch - that must have hurt!
I've closed the door!
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

Here's what I think happened, based on my experience with people getting themselves stranded across railway lines...

If you look at the Google map street view here, on the other side of the level crossing, there's the set of traffic lights and room for about two cars between the end of the cross-hatching and the stop line for the lights.

What I see time and time again are people who can't think more than a second ahead. The lights turn amber, two cars stop, and a third car just wanders into the cross-hatched zone without realising they don't have an escape route out the other side.

Most of the time, the lights turn green again and they get out of the way before a train comes, but sometimes ... the train wins ;)

I didn't see the accident yesterday (I went past there about 20 minutes before it happened), but I'd be willing to bet 50c that's what happened. I see it on an almost daily basis at the level crossing just to the east of that one (opposite Guildford Grammar School) and the one just west of Bassendean station. Cars are forever stopping in the cross-hatched zones because they didn't think to check that they could get safely through.
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Infernal
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBC60XLT

Post by Infernal »

It happens at every intersection as well

http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/mediaFil ... ePart3.pdf
3.13.4 Keep intersections clear
Do not enter an intersection when a queue of traffic
prevents you from fully exiting on the other side.
Stop before you enter the intersection so that you do
not block crossing traffic.
doggie015

Post by doggie015 »

AO11912 wrote:...
3.13.4 Keep intersections clear
Do not enter an intersection when a queue of traffic
prevents you from fully exiting on the other side.
Stop before you enter the intersection so that you do
not block crossing traffic.
Yeah. They NEVER do that. Every time I go to the King William street/Coode street/Railway parade intersection by Bayswater train station (At -31.91828, 115.91130) I see cars stuck on the intersection going from Coode street onto King William street. The light DOES turn green at the other end of the subway and lets them through before they actually cause disruption but the timings aren't perfectly synchronized so one day they may actually hold up traffic...
hold3n
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by hold3n »

Zebedee wrote:Here's what I think happened, based on my experience with people getting themselves stranded across railway lines...

If you look at the Google map street view here, on the other side of the level crossing, there's the set of traffic lights and room for about two cars between the end of the cross-hatching and the stop line for the lights.

What I see time and time again are people who can't think more than a second ahead. The lights turn amber, two cars stop, and a third car just wanders into the cross-hatched zone without realising they don't have an escape route out the other side.

Most of the time, the lights turn green again and they get out of the way before a train comes, but sometimes ... the train wins ;)

I didn't see the accident yesterday (I went past there about 20 minutes before it happened), but I'd be willing to bet 50c that's what happened. I see it on an almost daily basis at the level crossing just to the east of that one (opposite Guildford Grammar School) and the one just west of Bassendean station. Cars are forever stopping in the cross-hatched zones because they didn't think to check that they could get safely through.
im not hear to argue but wouldn't they see the opposite gate go down with lights and bell
I AM IN NO WAY AFFILIATED WITH DFES OR BFB
Closing the door for a while.
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

hold3n wrote:im not hear to argue but wouldn't they see the opposite gate go down with lights and bell
Oh I'm sure they would, but if the gates are up when they drive into the hatched zone, and the bells, lights and boom gates come down once the driver's already there, that's when it gets a bit exciting ;)
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
hold3n
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by hold3n »

Zebedee wrote:
hold3n wrote:im not hear to argue but wouldn't they see the opposite gate go down with lights and bell
Oh I'm sure they would, but if the gates are up when they drive into the hatched zone, and the bells, lights and boom gates come down once the driver's already there, that's when it gets a bit exciting ;)
would they be able to see the opposite gate going down/ lights flashing or wouldn't they have enough time to react
I AM IN NO WAY AFFILIATED WITH DFES OR BFB
Closing the door for a while.