Poll: Security on Trains

Rail, Bus and Ferry services

Moderator: Froggles

Who should be performing Perth train security?

PTA special constables and Chubb staff (as it is now)
23%
WA Police in conjunction with PTA security & train staff
73%
WA Police by themselves
5%
Private security firm
No votes
Other (discuss below)
No votes

Total votes: 40

vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

Tell us what you think about what should happen with security on our trains...
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Re: Poll: Security on Trains

Post by Zebedee »

vk6hgr wrote:Tell us what you think about what should happen with security on our trains...
I'm split between choices 2 and 3. I think the WA Police should have ultimate responsibility, but there's no reason why they can't have private guards as well. In the end I picked "2" :-)
scottwa2468

Post by scottwa2468 »

i believe that alot of people are scared to travel on public transport,particually at night time is the lack of officer numbers and not who is doing the security,perhaps as an idea to increase security ion trains is to put police recruits who are part of the way through training to do some work on the trains,i guess the main thing is that if tomorrow the police where put in charge of public transport security some people will demand more officers but that cant happen,police fporce numbers are no that large,listen to your scanner on a busy night and you will just see how streched they are
Bill

Post by Bill »

yeah, I picked number 2, but I think alot more security officers at night would help if theres not enough Police.
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

I think it will stay the way it is for a long time, by the way Chubb are no longer on the trains as of this month.
Per Ardua-Ad Astra
DanMissing

Checking Tickets

Post by DanMissing »

What is the problem I have seen now train chubb guards checking tickets
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

Chubb no longer have any guards riding trains, they only guard a couple of carparks.
Per Ardua-Ad Astra
Australind

Post by Australind »

This is true, my mate use to work for shubb on the trains, he use to go around to all train stations to collect the video tapes from the camera before it went digital.
Evan Jasper
Member of the Hotham Valley Tourist Railway
http://australind720.fotopic.net/
ZO100_marto
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by ZO100_marto »

Hows this for a thought.... Dump those stupid vehicles that follow the trains (dual cab with cage)!

Why :?: *my two cents*

Have you ever seen someone being detained in the back of one of these vehicles? me - never. So what do they really do? Check the carparks?
This is great but... two or three guys wages plus the leasing/maintenance costs is money that could be putting CCTV's at stations/carparks and MORE security on the trains which is what people want.
If the security ever detain someone the police are always called anyway to take them away/charge and so on (aren't they?).

Anyway off the rails a tad (hehee) but just a thought :lol:
Ludacris
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Ludacris »

Australind wrote:This is true, my mate use to work for shubb on the trains, he use to go around to all train stations to collect the video tapes from the camera before it went digital.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA SHUBB Security....
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

Mate you are an idiot.

I was a a Transit Guard for two years and mate those vans that you see driving around transport 2-3 offenders to lockup a day normally as a minimum each.

You saying that is the same as saying that every time you see a Police Van without a person in the back the Police arnt doing there job.

Those vans patrol the system and back up the trainriders on the trains when they de-train with an offender and take them to lockup when arrested.

They also respond to complaints from the public via VKI or Railway base at in relation to PTA property such as Stations, Carparks and Bus stations.

When a Transit Guard arrests an offender he has the same responsibilites and powers as a Police Officer to charge the offender with the appropriate offender and seldom call the police to take over.

In my two years I never handed an offenders over to a Police Officer and alway took my offenders to EPLU, funny enough, in one of our stupid duel cab rodeo vans.
Per Ardua-Ad Astra
cooler

Post by cooler »

I believe their Union rules are a minimum of 2 Guards at all times & the vehicles are multi-purpose & the transport of prisoners is one of them, & you would not work alone on any Public Transport in any State of Australia ,unless you had lost your power of reason .
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

Cooler,

Sorry you lost me mate.......Transit Guard have a single manning policy where they guards can ride trains and man station on their own.

Currently they are two up due to safety concerns and a ministerial promise.

There is always two officers in the vans but I have however been in a van on my own with an offender on board........rarely occurs.

Yes the vans are multi purpose patrol vehicles.....they respond to any incident on the Public Transport System.ie Rail, Bus and interchanges.
Per Ardua-Ad Astra
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

The only problem with having the police being in charge of the train security is the lack of police numbers, thats why i chose number two, maybe the newby cops coming through the academy could be put on the trains with senior members to get some experience before going out to do the real thing. I thought the security on the trains can do the main things that police can do ? U know the posters they have on the train with the transit guard or who ever they are and a cop, with writing saying We are not that different (or something), they can arrest people and all the rest like the police so how would police riding the trains make u feel more secure than if the guards where riding (thats when they are on board!). I think the problem lies with having a lack of guards actually being on the trains, somedays you might not see one, somedays u might see 4 or 5 on the one train, they should be on every train all the time.
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

JG-103 wrote:I think the problem lies with having a lack of guards actually being on the trains, somedays you might not see one, somedays u might see 4 or 5 on the one train, they should be on every train all the time.
I feel fine on trains and busses at night, it's the drunk and/or drugged dodgys at train stations that bother me.

There doesn't seem to be any security presence at the stations...
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr