Rail, Bus and Ferry services

Moderator: Froggles

Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Transit Guards - Bassendean

Post by Zebedee »

This afternoon on the way home from work, I got off the train at Bassendean and was waiting for a bus. A transit guard was over the road at the BWS bottle shop with an arrest (which is definitely off railway property :) )

It looks like something happened between the guy who was being detained and another passenger. The transit guard was holding his catch out the front of the bottle shop until one of the Railway patrol vans turned up. The two guards in the van emptied his pockets out and put him in the back and even from as far away as I was, I could hear him thrashing around inside making a nuisance of himself...

So it looks like even though the guy wasn't on railway property when the transit guard got him, so long as the offence took part at the train station they'll put up a good chase :)

Another question answered - I wondered to what lengths the transit guards would go....
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
meg
Amateur callsign: VK6LUX
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu: FT990, FT857, FT7800, VX7R. Icom: ID800H. Old RS scanner.

Post by meg »

I was told yesterday by Transperth staff that if you're using a Smartrider card and the transit guards equipment for reading it fails (during a ticket check) that they will fine you and you will have to pay, then ask for a refund (presuming you did actually tag on correctly).

I think we'll be hearing alot more of transit guards in the future :shock:
Donga
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Donga »

I remember when I was working alongside the transit guards as a cleaner I rember them telling me that they ca detain any 1 within 100metre of railway property providng the ofeence occured originalyy on railway property. That was many years ago I dont know how relevant it is now tho.
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

We can arrest anyone for an offence that occurs on or near the railways as long as the offence is related to the workings of the railways.

Transit Guard = Railway Police :)
Per Ardua-Ad Astra
Tom
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Tom »

G'day Dazla,

Any word on these new Transit Holden Crewman's?

cheers

Tom
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

Tom,

Still in the pipeline as far as im aware, I think the PTA are awaiting the outcome of the WAPOL trial. Once WAPOL decide on a vehicle then the PTA will follow suit.

WAPOL and the PTA can no longer use the caged utes (rodeo), offenders must be transported in a secure POD. DPI has given both organisations an exemption until such time as a new alternative is found.

Cheers
Per Ardua-Ad Astra
Donga
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Donga »

dazla wrote:Tom,

Still in the pipeline as far as im aware, I think the PTA are awaiting the outcome of the WAPOL trial. Once WAPOL decide on a vehicle then the PTA will follow suit.

WAPOL and the PTA can no longer use the caged utes (rodeo), offenders must be transported in a secure POD. DPI has given both organisations an exemption until such time as a new alternative is found.

Cheers
what makes the pod different to the cages I have seen the outside of the pods but luckily not the inside?
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

dazla wrote:We can arrest anyone for an offence that occurs on or near the railways as long as the offence is related to the workings of the railways.

Transit Guard = Railway Police :)
Well whatever this guy did, he needed to be taken away and that's what happened... He sounded like he was doing a bit of damage to himself in the back of the vehicle - lots of banging around going on :)
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Tom
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Tom »

Cheers for that Dazla,

Is it something to do with the conditions (heat) in the back of those cages and risks of 'baddies' falling out?

I also heard that WAPOL were trying to get rid of those blue canopy cages like the Rodeos and a few Fords like ZB101.

The WAPOL trial appears to of been successful as the former WT901 is now JA103 at Armadale, I did hear a whisper that the lease rates of a Crewman were staggeringly higher than a sedan.

But on the other hand I haven't seen anymore Crewmans so I guess time will tell.

Donga, I have some shots of a pod set-up, if you want PM me.

cheers

Tom
GC101
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by GC101 »

Last edited by GC101 on Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wascanner

Post by wascanner »

If you want more info on the powers of Transit Guards go to the State law Publisher website, there is link in thev agencies section of ww.wa.gov.au. On the State Law Publisher website you can download all WA acts and regulations plus Royal commision reports
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

That is one of our biggest issues, trying to convice an offender that he does have to give his name and that we will arrest him if he refuses etc.

The name Transit Guard is way too similar to Security Guard, the old Railway Special Constables had Railway Police on all their Id's and paperwork.

The new badge that is coming in just has Public Transport Authority of WA and then the normal State Crest and Serve and Protect, they are removing the words Transit Guard.

You will also see them sporting cargo pants and a shirt similar to the WA Police very soon.
Per Ardua-Ad Astra
GC101
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by GC101 »

Last edited by GC101 on Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

:?:
Last edited by dazla on Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GC101
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by GC101 »

:arrow:
Last edited by GC101 on Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.