Transit Officers/Tasers any inroads?

Rail, Bus and Ferry services

Moderator: Froggles

daltonrx

Transit Officers/Tasers any inroads?

Post by daltonrx »

Morning All,

Just reading through Christine Teague's research paper titled 'An Ambience of Power? Challenges Inherent in the Role of the Public Transport Transit Officer'. Highly recommended read for anyone who wants an unbiased incite into the TO role.

Although Teague's research highlights various problematic issues faced by TO's in there daily interactions with the travelling public. I found the following very relevant to the subject matter.

One of the most frequent precursors to a TO injury occurs when the TO is required to make an arrest. The injury may occur when the passenger to be arrested resists or flees, and the TO gives chase in dark or treacherous circumstances such as railway reserves and tunnels, or when other passengers, maybe friends or family of the original person of concern, involve themselves in an affray around the precipitating action of the arrest.In circumstances where capsicum spray is the primary way of enforcing compliance, with batons used as a defence tool, group members may feel that they can take on the two TOs with impunity, certainly in the first instance.

It is my personal belief that if we want TO's to protect us whilst on public transport, we should equip them with all the tools necessary to carry out there role both effectively and most importantly safely. Im not saying that we should arm TO's with firearms, but lets give them and train them with the Taser as it is the most effective tool to immobilise offenders often not affected by OC spray.

I would be keen to know if any inroads have been made by the unions/PTA with regards to issuing TO's with Tasers as it has been a topic for consideration since 2009.
HL 101

Re: Transit Officers/Tasers any inroads?

Post by HL 101 »

I say it a good idea as long as they don't go silly with them then I'm happy for the Transit Officers to carry Tasers.
donks
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by donks »

if they want to take tasers off police officers... TO's have NO chance of getting them.. plus OC spray is more than enough for them to effect an arrest.. 99% of people will be affected by OCS.
People call me an "Egotistic Jackass"... I prefer the term "Confident Donkey" --->Donks for short
kilmo

Post by kilmo »

Last edited by kilmo on Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
donks
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by donks »

kilmo wrote:Tasers will never, ever, ever x 100 million infinity (starting to get my drift??) be issued to Transit Officers.

PTA Management have a hard enough time trying to work out what our current role is let alone the infinite issues that arise on a regular basis due to issues of legislative power, boundaries, etc to even concern themselves with Transit Officer UoF options.

While I take great pleasure in reading Christine Teague's report (I'm also quoted within the document) it has done, and I feel will do nothing but get the PTA's back up in regards to the currently issued UoF options Transit Officers carry.

I have a hard enough time from an OSH POV trying to get LB Vests for Officers for trial because "They look too para military and Police like". Yet the PTA management gave the "Ok" to the exact style uniform that WAPOL are currently issued, minus the colour options.

Well said. Taser is the number one UOF option to get people in the shit.. The BEST force option available to anyone is their mouth!.

When do PTA staff get the LBVs? They are handy but to be honest i am going to ditch my LBV asap and go to belt fastened accoutrements. I find that the LBV actually puts too much strain on my shoulders and is actually causing me back and neck pain. however the amount of pockets and storage is sooo handy!

WAPOL are having a hard enough time with TASERs and our management is 100x more knee jerk than WAPOL's....

- Kilmo
People call me an "Egotistic Jackass"... I prefer the term "Confident Donkey" --->Donks for short
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

donk's statement is

When do PTA staff get the LBVs? They are handy but to be honest i am going to ditch my LBV asap and go to belt fastened accoutrements. I find that the LBV actually puts too much strain on my shoulders and is actually causing me back and neck pain. however the amount of pockets and storage is sooo handy!
I've closed the door!
HL 101

Post by HL 101 »

This is a really silly questionbut what does LBVs?mean and what are they ?
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

HL 101 wrote:This is a really silly questionbut what does LBVs?mean and what are they ?
LBV are vest's similar to what WAPOL use and like what the Transit Officers wear. Although I'm neither I've actually tried one on and they are quite comfortable and have so many useful pockets instead of stuffing everything into your trousers.

I'm trying to presude my workplace to get something similar.
I've closed the door!
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

LBVs are Load Bearing Vests.
Used to carry personal tactical equipment, they are specifically designed to ease the burden of heavy and dangerous duty belts causing injuries to police officers by shifting much of the weight from the waist and lower back to the shoulders. Due to the design it still allows for body armour to be worn underneath.
Click to enlarge:
ImageImage

Geoff