Queensland Rail National

Rail, Bus and Ferry services

Moderator: Froggles

dsjmd45
Scanners and Receivers: Various, but mainly use Uniden 396's or 72XLT.

Queensland Rail National

Post by dsjmd45 »

Good morning, guys.

Does anyone have any frequencies that are being used by Queensland Rail National (QRN) in Perth, or WA, for shunting, or other, purposes ?

If they are using standard ARG / AWR Shunting Channels, can someone please advise which ones are being used.

Regards
DSD
Nafenn

Re: Queensland Rail National

Post by Nafenn »

Since ARG is a QR company, i would assume they would be using the same frequencies.

Not sure what they are tho - have been trying to find them for a while
Nathan Fenn
WARSUG Aviation Band & Reviews Moderator

Anything I say is my opinion, and has nothing to do with/does not reflect the views of anyone I was/am/will be involved with/employed by/volunteer for/associated with. There, I think that should cover it!
nachoman
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by nachoman »

They use the ARG channels in the yard

http://warsug.info/viewtopic.php?p=1930#p1930

shunt channels at Forrestfield:
418.475 shunt Forrestfield
418.875 shunt Forrestfield
418.575 shunt Forrestfield

the QR intermodal shunter has the callsign '3' standard where the other shunters are '1' and '6'

they communicate with control on the WNR Eastern Control Channel
418.4 Forrestfield
419.075 Millendon
dsjmd45
Scanners and Receivers: Various, but mainly use Uniden 396's or 72XLT.

Post by dsjmd45 »

Thanks for that, "nachoman".

Just what I wanted.

Regards
DD
Bonez

Post by Bonez »

Yeah I used to listen to them at Forrestfield all the time, all you hear is shunting and a few other bits and pieces. I know an employee of ARG/QR and she told me that all of the important stuff is done by phone. All loco's have Telstra Next G terminals in them, with GPS tracking and a touch screen for the drivers to send short messages back to base.
Nafenn

Post by Nafenn »

Bonez wrote:Yeah I used to listen to them at Forrestfield all the time, all you hear is shunting and a few other bits and pieces. I know an employee of ARG/QR and she told me that all of the important stuff is done by phone. All loco's have Telstra Next G terminals in them, with GPS tracking and a touch screen for the drivers to send short messages back to base.
Hey bonez, how far out does the forrestfield east controll freq... Control?
Nathan Fenn

Anything I say is my opinion, and has nothing to do with/does not reflect the views of anyone I was/am/will be involved with/employed by/volunteer for/associated with. There, I think that should cover it!
Bonez

Post by Bonez »

By radio, as long as the UHF link can take them, after that I guess it's Next G until they get into the next district in which case they are in radio contact again. I can't say for sure, that's just my guess at how it works.
Infernal
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBC60XLT

Post by Infernal »

Nathan, im pretty sure it works like this

Forrestfield control to Avon

Avon control to West Merredin

West Merredin controlled to West Kalgoorlie

However, West Merredin is now Closed, and the Control Tower is decom, in the last 8 years i think that happened, and the controllers were shunted (pun :lol: ) to Avon

Which leads me to belive, that now Avon control from Avon yard to West Kalgoorlie.

I was fortunate enough when i was about 13 to be taken inside West Merredin tower, big building, yet the controller sits in a cleaning cupboard :? sadly back then we didnt have mobile phones, let alone ones that could take photos, ill describe it to you next time we catch up

Another that might bust your bubble, i went on the prospector (old) from Perth to East perth, up the front in the right hand seat, when i was younger, ah the joys of your mum dating the station master :shock:

here is a picture that best discribes the control zones, when the old prospector was running
http://perthtrains.nachohat.org/images/tr3975.jpg
Nafenn

Post by Nafenn »

Nathan Fenn

rustynswrail

Post by rustynswrail »

Nafenn wrote:Found this: http://rsa.four12.net/index.html
I would check the date that site was last updated. It was 8 years ago. The information contained therein is largely outdated or just plain wrong.

R
Nafenn

Post by Nafenn »

nachoman wrote:419.075 Millendon
As a follow up, Doug (Zebedee) and i were out chasing trains last night, and it appears this Freq controlls trains exiting Forrestfield Yards heading for the Eastern Main Line
Nathan Fenn

Nafenn

Post by Nafenn »

rustynswrail wrote:
Nafenn wrote:Found this: http://rsa.four12.net/index.html
I would check the date that site was last updated. It was 8 years ago. The information contained therein is largely outdated or just plain wrong.

R
Update: i can confirm that the QLD freqs are in use... havn't done too much research yet, will if i get a chance
Nathan Fenn

Australind

Post by Australind »

Bonez wrote:Yeah I used to listen to them at Forrestfield all the time, all you hear is shunting and a few other bits and pieces. I know an employee of ARG/QR and she told me that all of the important stuff is done by phone. All loco's have Telstra Next G terminals in them, with GPS tracking and a touch screen for the drivers to send short messages back to base.
The GPS screens arent touch face I know because I work at Forrestfield and they dont send anything back to base, alot of commincations are done though the phone and aswell as the radio.
Evan Jasper
Member of the Hotham Valley Tourist Railway
http://australind720.fotopic.net/