Wilson Security

Rail, Bus and Ferry services

Moderator: Froggles

phreak
150+ posts
150+ posts

Wilson Security

Post by phreak »

Don't know if anyone else read this in the West the other day? But Wilson Security are pushing for their Bus Guards to have the exact same power as Transit Officers. Don't know about your thoughts, but if the Government wanted Transit Officers (ie Government Employees) on buses, they would have done it. If a private, third party operator is given the same powers as Police and Transit Officers, well then I'm going to start walking to where I want to go!
CDC Fire Rescue - Volunteer Firefighter
A52 - Volunteer Firefighter
Caddy1

Re: Wilson Security

Post by Caddy1 »

Is that right? I saw it on the news the other day as well lol they look more and more like cops everytime I see them! I can see it happening thought, Chubb used to be Special Constables on the Railways. Hows the youngin anyway mate?
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

Secureforce were trying to get the same thing when they had the contract, they didnt get it and I dont see Wilson getting it.
Per Ardua-Ad Astra
phreak
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by phreak »

Caddy1 wrote:Is that right? I saw it on the news the other day as well lol they look more and more like cops everytime I see them! I can see it happening thought, Chubb used to be Special Constables on the Railways. Hows the youngin anyway mate?
It won't happen with the way Wilson are pushing it at the moment. The youngin' is good mate, growing up everyday!
CDC Fire Rescue - Volunteer Firefighter
A52 - Volunteer Firefighter
EX-CONNIE

Post by EX-CONNIE »

Hey Phreak,
Too true! Wilsons somehow believes their contracted officers with their poor command of English and 2 or 3 days training are qualified to become fully fledged TG's and carry on as they would with arrest powers, ect.
Interestingly, the PTA until recently, claimed in its website that the officers on the buses were real Transit Guards and made no mention that they were all private contractors - in spite of the fact that all bus/terminal security has been handles by private security for at least the last 15 years (Secureforce for 14, Wilsons for 1)
Not suprisingly, they also claim their "new innovation" the Revenue Protection Squad as a PTA entity, though they are all sourced through Chubb Security and in any case there has always been a RP Squad - it only shut down for a few years following the start of the TG's in 2002 as a response to the drastic fall in revenue from fair evasion and failure to pay fines.
True, the PTA at first tried to get real TG's on the buses but could not even recruit the numbers required to man the trains. This was in 2002 and the situation is the same now.
The only time you will see a PTA TG step aboard a bus is when a driver in strife finds himself at a station/terminal like Cannington or Whitfords - there are no PTA patrols on bus routes like those that follow the rail lines and no PTA patrol visits any terminal that is not part of a station.
The PTA claim otherwise of course and have been harsh in the past with staff and officers who have made this reality public.
lastly, I was initially employed as a Special Constable when Chubb had the main contract in the late 1990's. We went throught the same selection and testing as WA police and we had to sit a selection panel which inlcuded senior police as well as WAGR and Government assessors - very strict.
We were not employed by Chubb - only sourced through them and as we were competing for sworn policing postions, the success rate was not high, with candidates dropping out during the selection process and/or dismissed intraining for not passing critical modules lioke signalling, safeworking, law, evidence or use of force.
No open book learning and 2nd and 3rd chances as with TG's - Pass: stay. Fail: out.
But of course with the drastic drop in selection standards an easier process has entrenched itself and the quality of those who get in are not what they used to be.
Oh well - hope this was useful. :(
phreak wrote:Don't know if anyone else read this in the West the other day? But Wilson Security are pushing for their Bus Guards to have the exact same power as Transit Officers. Don't know about your thoughts, but if the Government wanted Transit Officers (ie Government Employees) on buses, they would have done it. If a private, third party operator is given the same powers as Police and Transit Officers, well then I'm going to start walking to where I want to go!
Caddy1

Post by Caddy1 »

Its interesting how things have changed over the years in various law enforcement roles but especially WAGR/PTA. I was under the impression that a lot of the SC's were Chubbies but evidently not, thanks for clearing that up for me! So basically the Wilson guys are nothing more than scarecrows?
Caddy1

Post by Caddy1 »

Its also interesting to note how people are against Wilson guards having law enforcement power but don't have a problem with the RSPCA (a private charity) having enforcement power under the Animal Welfare Act.
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

That's because:
Violence against animals. Australia says NO
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
Caddy1

Post by Caddy1 »

Yes, but a private charity shouldnt be tasked with enforcing animal welfare it should be done by an accountable government agency. This is currently happening with the Dept of Agriculture but RSPCA Inspectors should be abolished.
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

Caddy1 wrote:Its also interesting to note how people are against Wilson guards having law enforcement power but don't have a problem with the RSPCA (a private charity) having enforcement power under the Animal Welfare Act.
That's completely irrelevant. The RSPCA has nothing to do with the topic at hand.
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Caddy1

Post by Caddy1 »

Noted - was just pointing out another private entity who has law enforcement power other than Wilson.
journo

Post by journo »

Darren 'Dazla' you are incorrest there in fact they said 'it wasn't necessary' with all the various sections of different Acts available for their Officers.

Still applies IMO