Transperth Security Epaulettes

Rail, Bus and Ferry services

Moderator: Froggles

Caddy1

Transperth Security Epaulettes

Post by Caddy1 »

Did anyone see the Transperth Security officers on the news tonight? Noticed they were wearing epaulettes with ranking similar to the police. Anyone have any idea what each rank indicates?
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Re: Transperth Security Epaulettes

Post by written_ficton »

I think its fairly similar to that of the police rank?
I've closed the door!
EX-CONNIE

Post by EX-CONNIE »

Enjoy this satire and fond harking back to better days.

The following really only applies to actual PTA officers, not private contractors.

It's quite funny really, the rank structure the PTA uses to segregate it's officers and the insignia it uses to define their "rank"

A Transit Guard (trainee, probie and so on) has a black bar only.

There is no equivalent for say, 1st Class Constable (single yellow stripe on black bar) but as recently as 2004 it was proposed to award a thin yellow line on your bar to recognise 2.5 years service, plus a blue/white decoration (woo hoo!) to display on uniform shirt.

It was proposed to have all remaining Special Constables from Railway Police wear (at least) a single stripe plus decoration as almost all had served a minimum of 3-4 years and as much as 10-11 years prior to the failure and collapse of security and law enforcement in public transport and in any case, such sworn officers were still required to wear the Railway Police uniform and badging and carry on business as sworn constables, not merely authorised Security Officers.

Next is Team Leader, who has 2 yellow stripes, a-la Senior Constable but the similarity ends there. If things are still the same, any Transit Guard could become a Team Leader by applying for it if he felt ready - even in his 1st year, let alone the 7+ years you would have to wait in WAPOL. Most Guards also had the chance to be an "Acting" Team Leader for limited tenures - again often before they were ready for it.

Next is Supervisor, denoted with 3 stripes. Just like a Sergeant you ask? NAY! I mean, why wait a minimum 10 years in WAPOL, when in PTA, if you are chummy with certain TG Managers, are a favoured female or of a non-English speaking background you may find your self with a set of 3 stripes on those shoulders in a little as a year! And never mind applying for them and going through an actual, transparent, selection process either - if you are tight with the top dog and enjoy karate, why not become an "Acting Supervisor" and a little over a year later you get to keep them for all time, albeit without the skills, learning, knowledge, ability and requisite length of time served to actually earn the "rank" and apply it effectively and without earning ridicule and scorn from those around you.

3 stripes and a crown makes you a Shift Supervisor or Shift Commander, but sorry, nothing remotely like a Senior Sergeant. If you have 3 stripes you can progress to this naturally but as in the previous paragraph, the chosen few can adorn themselves with an iddy-biddy crown at near warp speed - ability is over-rated anyway.

If you are in the happy position of Transit Guard Manager, it's 3 pips for you, optimistically Inspector like. Don't be fooled! Those in the know, know who these people are, some more than others, and the minimum 20 years of service, study and sound performance has not been rendered to earn such "rank" that would have been mandatory in the real world.

I recall, with still some amusement and curiosity, the case of the "Instant Inspector" an early hire TG Manager from the very first days of the failed TG Unit who, "mysteriously" vanished without trace or reason. Simply up and left without so much as a by-your-leave. Possibly didn't like karate as much as he or she thought and the allure of door work was just to strong. Who wouldn't? Who'd be a level 6 or 7 Public Service Manager, when you could earn as much as a doorman or beer bottle recycler or something?

Lastly then, the luminous one. Manager Security and Customer Service. If I recall, a crown and 2 pips or stars or something - something like but nothing like a Superintendant or Commander or something. Perhaps a Colonel? None of these "managers" was ever seen in a TG uniform - could you blame them really? Plus, don't think the PTA would have forked out for jackboots, blue tunic and jodphurs - with copious gold braid, sam browne, monicle, sword and little holstered pistol at a time when TG's worked solo, without backup, without baton or OC spray, dealing with the same violent criminal element the only a short time prior had been dealt with by sworn officers with full police powers, on and off PTA property.

Remember, illusion does not create reality, or force those who know better to forget it. The TG unit or TO unit or whatever it calls itself now came into being as an election promise - still unfulfilled after all these years - that was a kneejerk response to lies and falsehoods fed to the electorate before, during and after the 2000 election. It was a cheap vote getter for the minister responsible but has proved to be anything but cheap in the years since. Even now it looks as things have come almost full circle, somewhat resembling what used to exist before the collapse.

I really do hope things in the PTA TG/TO Unit are better now than in those first years.

10 years Army (7 as MILPOL)
6 years Railway Special Constable.
3 years WA Police Dispatcher (VKI)
8 years security company owner/operator.
2 years Bus Driver.
Caddy1

Post by Caddy1 »

Very thorough Ex - Connie. What I was actually curious about was the ranking worn on the epaulettes of the Wilson Bus Security Guards. However I think I know some of the people you make reference too in your post :)
bawds25

Post by bawds25 »

no stripes - transit officer
1 stripe - monitoring officer (not used anymore)
2 stripe - senior transit officer
3 stripe - supervisor
3 stripe + star - senior supervisor / manager

PTA approves promotions, each level gets pay increase and more responsibility etc.

its odd tho that we use the white stripes like police not yellow like PTA transits..
EX-CONNIE

Post by EX-CONNIE »

So, this is what the Wilsons bunch are wearing then?
I wonder what will happen when they have to revert to simple white or blue shirts with a Wilsons badge and no more PTA insignia?
I'm told this could be reality shortly.
The Libs are not happy with the current PTA security/enforcement provisions.
bawds25 wrote:no stripes - transit officer
1 stripe - monitoring officer (not used anymore)
2 stripe - senior transit officer
3 stripe - supervisor
3 stripe + star - senior supervisor / manager

PTA approves promotions, each level gets pay increase and more responsibility etc.

its odd tho that we use the white stripes like police not yellow like PTA transits..
bawds25

Post by bawds25 »

i havent heard anything of going to the white shirts.. and i think it would be a very silly move. It'l be too confusing for the public; the public perception is that security officers have little power and you do not need to give them name and address etc and they cannot issue infringements.

So the wilson's guys need to look different to the average security officer, or carrying out their duties will become extremely difficult as the public will treat them like normal security officers, which they are not. They are in fact, law enforcement - as everybody knows but nobody wants to accept.

I have heard rumours that the wilson's transits will be given more powers after a review of the PTA Act is carried out. However, training and recruitment standards will also be upgraded so i guess a few of the current officers will lose their jobs..
Caddy1

Post by Caddy1 »

It would be a bad idea for them to go back to the Wilson Uniforms.
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

I'm all for the Wilson security to get off mimic the police / transit force... Its annoying, confusion occurs and its simply not on.

The uniform makes them think, they are better than everyone... which is not true.

However, saying that some of them do excellent jobs
I've closed the door!
Caddy1

Post by Caddy1 »

Unfortunatly I think its necessary for the to perform their function properly. At least it looks better than LAPD :)