Train delay today

Rail, Bus and Ferry services

Moderator: Froggles

Hodgie

Train delay today

Post by Hodgie »

if anyone heard about the train delay this morning a 4 car set couldn't get up the incline departing south out of the esplanade train station, transperth train brought an other 4 car set in to try and push it up but didn't work
then then tried to do a run up to get out, quite funny seeing the train failing to make it up the hill.
i didn't see how they eventually got it out, i got a train down to bullcreek before they got it out.
It is pretty cool though seeing an 8 CAR SET!!! on express to the mandurah yard.
Visit my blog AusAviator.com
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Re: Train delay today

Post by Zebedee »

Ahhhhh so that's what was going on. I only heard that there was a delay, but not the details.
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

I believe [point me wrong] that the A car sets can only run in a maximum of 4cars....
I've closed the door!
Toottoot
Banned

Post by Toottoot »

written_ficton wrote:I believe [point me wrong] that the A car sets can only run in a maximum of 4cars....
You can put as many two car 'A' sets together as you want, similarly with three car 'B' sets. The only problem is they are too long to stop at the stations as people can't get on or off.

Once we were at Subiaco station and had to shunt another train back to the workshops because it had broken down.
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

Thats where the drivers goes, right everyone out and push! :P :lol:
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
Hodgie

Post by Hodgie »

there were eventually 4 a sets, because the train behind the one that got stuck came from underground to try and shunt it out of the tunnel
dlcat1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dlcat1 »

Hodgie wrote:there were eventually 4 a sets, because the train behind the one that got stuck came from underground to try and shunt it out of the tunnel

How do they organise the signalling? I assumed that if something was on the line ahead the train behind was not to move?
Hodgie

Post by Hodgie »

With the notices they handed out to passengers to explain the situation, it was signed at the bottom by WAGR didn't they dissolve and were superseded by the PTA
Hodgie

Post by Hodgie »

dlcat1 wrote:
Hodgie wrote:there were eventually 4 a sets, because the train behind the one that got stuck came from underground to try and shunt it out of the tunnel

How do they organise the signalling? I assumed that if something was on the line ahead the train behind was not to move?
all the trains around the esplanade were suspended until this was resolved, so the issue of getting the train there was not a big issue
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zebedee »

dlcat1 wrote:How do they organise the signalling? I assumed that if something was on the line ahead the train behind was not to move?
There are methods that can be used to move trains in the event of things like signal failures etc. There's provisions in the railway safeworking procedures to accommodate pretty much every eventuality.

It would have all been done by radio most likely. I'm trying to remember the exact terminology, but the details escape me for the moment :P

It is very dark.
Tyranus

Post by Tyranus »

Zebedee wrote:
dlcat1 wrote:How do they organise the signalling? I assumed that if something was on the line ahead the train behind was not to move?
There are methods that can be used to move trains in the event of things like signal failures etc. There's provisions in the railway safeworking procedures to accommodate pretty much every eventuality.

It would have all been done by radio most likely. I'm trying to remember the exact terminology, but the details escape me for the moment :P
The oooo where did I put the folder with all the information on what to do when this sort of thing happens? Well I suppose that's the process really :P
Stirling SES
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zebedee »

Tyranus wrote:The oooo where did I put the folder with all the information on what to do when this sort of thing happens? Well I suppose that's the process really :P
Hehe yep "In case of train getting stuck, break glass and blow the dust of the instruction manual" :P

It is very dark.
auntys_eyes

Post by auntys_eyes »

Had a small "moment" on the train in to work this morning!! On the Midland line between Maylands and Mt Lawley, there was a sudden loud "FFFFFSSSSSSHHHHH" as all of the air let go, the electrics stopped (except for the backup power to the lights) and the train came to a grinding halt. The driver announced that train had "blown a major circuit breaker" and he would fix it as quickly as possible. A few moments later the electrics and air fired up and off we went, but at the next stop (Claisebrook) none of the doors would open. Took several minutes before the doors opened and the ever increasingly nervous passengers could allight.
WARSUG Moderator - Media Section

VBFB Member

No onion, no garlic, no chilli, no pepper... NO POINT!!
dlcat1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dlcat1 »

Back in Sydney years ago I was on an 8 car double decker inter-urban on the way to the easter show so the train was packed, standing in the aisles.

There had been some re-ballasting work on the line and doing about 100 - 120 km/h we hit a bit of rock that was sticking up, you could feel the rock bouncing along below the floor and making a huge noise, I think everyone, me included, thought we had derailed. You could see in everyones faces the expectation and waiting for that moment we went over and got chucked around like cloth dolls in the movies, then the biggest smile of relief when the rock dropped out to frighten the car behind us.
Tyranus

Post by Tyranus »

auntys_eyes wrote:Had a small "moment" on the train in to work this morning!! On the Midland line between Maylands and Mt Lawley, there was a sudden loud "FFFFFSSSSSSHHHHH" as all of the air let go, the electrics stopped (except for the backup power to the lights) and the train came to a grinding halt. The driver announced that train had "blown a major circuit breaker" and he would fix it as quickly as possible. A few moments later the electrics and air fired up and off we went, but at the next stop (Claisebrook) none of the doors would open. Took several minutes before the doors opened and the ever increasingly nervous passengers could allight.
woohoo missing all the fun :D
Stirling SES
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB