any1 know of any callsigns or call codes

Rail, Bus and Ferry services

Moderator: Froggles

6stbase
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden USDS100

Re: any1 know of any callsigns or call codes

Post by 6stbase »

Down - Away from Perth (Except Fremantle where it is TO Perth)

Up - Towards Perth (Except Fremantle where it is FROM Perth)
6ST Base is clear, is there a mobile calling on this channel?
Fireguard

Post by Fireguard »

6stbase wrote:Down - Away from Perth (Except Fremantle where it is TO Perth)

Up - Towards Perth (Except Fremantle where it is FROM Perth)
Up and down isn't specifically talking about towards Perth..

being a railway its an old railway term and UP refers to "Towards the Port" and DOWN is "Away from the Port"

So all Trains that are going UP are going towards the Port (Fremantle), but to get there you have to go through Perth, thats why the UP trains appear to head towards perth and why the Fremantle trains are different.
Fireguard

scoreed

Post by scoreed »

Just listening to Train Control and control said "MA with a DC onboard" any ideas as to what a MA or a DC is?
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

scoreed wrote:Just listening to Train Control and control said "MA with a DC onboard" any ideas as to what a MA or a DC is?
Pure guess on my part, but the first part could be referring to the MA class diesel locomotive that I believe is (or at least WAS) kept at the Claisebrook depot. It's used for retrieving stranded railcar sets if they have a fault that means they can't travel under their own power.

Photo courtesy of the "History of Western Australian Railways And Stations Website" and taken by Don Copley.
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
robbage
Amateur callsign: VK6UFO_VK6RN
Scanners and Receivers:  
Scanners/receivers
Diamond Welz WS1000 wideband handheld
Radioshack Pro 28 handheld
Uniden UBC72XLT handheld
Uniden UBC73XLT handheld
Uniden UBC330CRS desktop

Two-way
Yaesu VX-3R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wideband RX handheld
Yaesu FT-1802M 2m Ham TRX mobile x 2
Yaesu FT-7800R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-208H 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-706MKIIG all-band all-mode Ham TRX mobile
Icom IC-V85 2m VHF Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-UVD1P VHF/UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-679P VHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-713 UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld

Post by robbage »

Mature Adult with Distraught Child
Rob
OF78WD
 Amateur moderator
Arguing with a fool proves there are two
nachoman
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by nachoman »

My guess would be
MA= diesel locomotive based at Claisebrook to rescue railcars
DC= PTA driver coordinator, also based at Claisebrook
JhG123
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by JhG123 »

Anyone got a complete up-to-date list? I've heard codes and callsigns that I don't see on the list.
yorky

Post by yorky »

What have you heard that isn't on the list?
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
JhG123
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by JhG123 »

Today atleast, callsign Victor and code 0.

Edit: heard 'fly the flag' from Base to Rockingham Delta
JhG123
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by JhG123 »

Whisky Tango xxx is the handheld radio number. Fleet is most likely what station or what division they're for, like Transit Guards, Wilson Guards and Revenue Officers.
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

Joshek wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:28 pm Whisky Tango xxx is the handheld radio number. Fleet is most likely what station or what division they're for, like Transit Guards, Wilson Guards and Revenue Officers.
And the above are probably directly related to the unit ID/selcall number they transmit.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
JhG123
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by JhG123 »

Well I "figured" it out from when a Mandurah unit had an open channel and base alerted to which WT is was, put 2 and 2 together and I assume that they're handhelds. The selcall correlates to their staff number, if you look on their name badge it has a 5 digit number, same as the 5 digit CCIR tone.
Pereko

Post by Pereko »

Joshek wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:06 pm Today atleast, callsign Victor and code 0.
Victors are Transit Officers who ride the trains during the day. They are the day version of Tangos who are TOs who ride the trains at night.

There is no code zero it is more likely you heard someone phrase a different code as "code zero-one" "code zero-five"
Joshek wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:28 pm Whisky Tango xxx is the handheld radio number. Fleet is most likely what station or what division they're for, like Transit Guards, Wilson Guards and Revenue Officers.

Fleet numbers are just the vehicles unique ID number. The only time you will hear this at the beginning of the shifts as the vehicle crews log in.

So a delta logs in with their callsign, what they're doing (code) and where, what portable radio numbers they have (Whiskey Tango), What vehicle they're using (fleet) and what mobile phone they have.

You shouldn't ever hear Transperth Security on the Railway Security radio channels and visa-versa.
JhG123
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by JhG123 »

Pereko wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:58 pm
Joshek wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:06 pm Today atleast, callsign Victor and code 0.
Victors are Transit Officers who ride the trains during the day. They are the day version of Tangos who are TOs who ride the trains at night.

There is no code zero it is more likely you heard someone phrase a different code as "code zero-one" "code zero-five"

Fleet numbers are just the vehicles unique ID number. The only time you will hear this at the beginning of the shifts as the vehicle crews log in.

So a delta logs in with their callsign, what they're doing (code) and where, what portable radio numbers they have (Whiskey Tango), What vehicle they're using (fleet) and what mobile phone they have.

You shouldn't ever hear Transperth Security on the Railway Security radio channels and visa-versa.
I was under the assumption that fleet number referred to the set of radios, since the vehicle number would just be their callsign, like D1 for Delta 1, etc.
Doesn't PTA also contract out Wilson for Transit Guards, as well as their own staff?
yorky

Post by yorky »

Few things to clarify there I reckon.

"Victors are Transit Officers who ride the trains during the day. They are the day version of Tangos who are TOs who ride the trains at night."

Are you thinking of revenue protection that mostly ride during the day? They are not Transit Officers.

"You shouldn't ever hear Transperth Security on the Railway Security radio channels and visa-versa."

Not sure what is meant by that? Are you talking about the Transperth security (Wilson's) that look after the buses?

Transit Officers are PTA employees, Wilson's are are the bus security that drive around in sedans. Not sure if its Wilson's or Serco that provide revenue on trains though.
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator