Public Transport Authority Going Digital!

Rail, Bus and Ferry services

Moderator: Froggles

AV201
150+ posts
150+ posts

Public Transport Authority Going Digital!

Post by AV201 »

The PTA will be going digital in 2009/2010. Apparenly one of my sources have told me that ALL Government based radio-radio/intercom will be going digital to improve security. The Aus Gov will fully fund this project to digitally standarise Digital Radio for all Telstra, Government organisations (Pol, Public Trans etc)

Not good for us, but good for them. I guess we can really expect everything to be heading for the digitalised way
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Public Transport Authority Going Digital!

Post by Admin »

Indian Pacific wrote:The PTA will be going digital in 2009/2010. Apparenly one of my sources have told me that ALL Government based radio-radio/intercom will be going digital to improve security. The Aus Gov will fully fund this project to digitally standarise Digital Radio for all Telstra, Government organisations (Pol, Public Trans etc)
Interesting. I don't know why Telstra are included, as they're no longer a government entity.

To me, even 2009 sounds awfully optimistic. FESA have been in the planning stage a UHF upgrade to their metro comms now for so long I'm beginning to think the project is vapourware, and that's just one agency of one state government. Let alone the different and competing government radio networks other states have established.

You're right, there's a general push for high security comms for government agencies, but I just can't see it happening all that quickly.
AV201
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by AV201 »

mmm, It is definetly feasable and possible, hence we are talking about the Metropolitan area. I know that the sometime last year a proposition was made to the State Government about digitalising the whole of WA. I assume that has been declined or delayed as I have heard nothing in relevance or according to that. I am unsure about regional areas. I will see what information i can aquire about this, though I think it is highly probable that 2010 you will see a huge push and demand for digital. I know that the whole "If you see something, say something" campaign which the PTA are running is a 2 year ad, and as part of that campaign the PTA want to digitalise their radio to communicate digitally. I am unsure if this is still prepped and set for 2008 or delayed. I agree though, 200X seems here and there in relation to this, again, I will see what info I can get.
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

Indian Pacific wrote:mmm, It is definetly feasable and possible, hence we are talking about the Metropolitan area. I know that the sometime last year a proposition was made to the State Government about digitalising the whole of WA. I assume that has been declined or delayed as I have heard nothing in relevance or according to that.
The digital system that the WA Police are working on is actually Mark II, if you will. Mark I was a Tetra based system in the 420-430Mhz band.

Mark I failed for various commercial reasons, and at the time the WA police wanted other emergency services to get on board their new radio system to help lower the cost. FESA and SJA were happy with their radio networks the way they were, leaving the WA Police with the full bill.

In the end, they bought all the equipment only to see it sit in storage, never used.

(edit: Frequency)

Tetra based systems are also locked. Tetra radios don't work on conventional radio systems, meaning police cars would haved needed at least two radios in each vehicle for interagency comms (like emergency channel A and B). APCO 25 (the Mark II digtal system) radios are compabile with conventional analogue networks, so much so that the police currently use their 'digital' radios on the existing network :-)
Last edited by vk6hgr on Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
doogues71
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by doogues71 »

Indian Pacific wrote:The PTA will be going digital in 2009/2010. Apparenly one of my sources have told me that ALL Government based radio-radio/intercom will be going digital to improve security. The Aus Gov will fully fund this project to digitally standarise Digital Radio for all Telstra, Government organisations (Pol, Public Trans etc)

Not good for us, but good for them. I guess we can really expect everything to be heading for the digitalised way
Let's hope they take as long with the digital system.As they did with smartrider. :lol: That would be good for us.
AV201
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by AV201 »

doogues71 wrote:

Let's hope they take as long with the digital system.As they did with smartrider. :lol: That would be good for us.
lol if thats the case we will be waiting a while. On TBA (my site) its said that the stockpile of Smartriders have arrived, so you can expect it to go public fairly soon. For those in the Control Group, Students....who cares :lol:
Nikimathew

Transport Interchanges

Post by Nikimathew »

In addition one can alight from and usually board a taxi at any road where stopping is allowed. Some fixed-route buses allow getting on and off at suitable unmarked locations along that route, typically called a hail-and-ride section. In recent years, an increasing emphasis has been placed on intermodal transport facilities. These are intended to help passengers move from one mode (or form) of transportation to another. An intermodal station may service air, rail, and highway transportation for example.

--------------
Nikimathew
cat1

Post by cat1 »

course if your on the train/bus and the security have their radios turned up too loud as they usually do, it won't matter if they go digital :D
gromit
Amateur callsign: VK6KS

Post by gromit »

cat1 wrote:course if your on the train/bus and the security have their radios turned up too loud as they usually do, it won't matter if they go digital :D
I always keep my radio as quiet as possible as I'm embarrassed by some of the inane stuff that comes out.
Phil ex-VK6KS
slipknot
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu FT-857 Yaesu FT7800 Icom ID800H

Post by slipknot »

i dont know why the PTA think they are soo important that they need apco 25 encryption as well as the police. The police at least have a reason to go encrypted.
gromit
Amateur callsign: VK6KS

Post by gromit »

I just hope it has a damn sight better coverage and more sensitive radios than the hunka junk system we have now!
Phil ex-VK6KS
Mug
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93xlt

Post by Mug »

Will FESA go digital as well?

I don't think PTA really have any reason to go encrypted.I mean, they're not transmitting the exact address and details of a murder or a high speed chase.At most maybe they will say there is a fight on board bus no.********. We are at:Esplanade. And wait for transit guards to arrive.
¡¡¡ʎɐq-ǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq oʇ ƃuıoƃ ɯı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
slipknot
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by slipknot »

nobody else except for the police have the need to go encrypted, i mean, what a waste of money to go encrypted for the pta, so thats where all our tax payers money goes. if they need to go digital for better reception, fine, but not encrypted. Fesa dont need to be "encrypted" either, my point of view that is.
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Mug wrote:Will FESA go digital as well?

I don't think PTA really have any reason to go encrypted.I mean, they're not transmitting the exact address and details of a murder or a high speed chase.At most maybe they will say there is a fight on board bus no.********. We are at:Esplanade. And wait for transit guards to arrive.
No, not for a long time. They only just started the new WAERN roll-out. They couldn't go fully digital anyway as the new radios have some access to the Marine band for the VMRS.
slipknot
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by slipknot »

would it be digital and ecrypted or only digital without encryption?