WiFi interference at train stations

Rail, Bus and Ferry services

Moderator: Froggles

Tonym

WiFi interference at train stations

Post by Tonym »

Hi everyone.
I am reaching out for some guidance or assistance with an ongoing issue I am having with a WiFi IOT device I am developing. The device uses standard WiFi to communicate between two points - one is set up as an access point.
The problem I am having is that the device works perfectly until I go past a train station and then I lose the WiFi signal. Unfortunately I don't have a frequency scanner to check what could be causing this.
This happens all the way down the freeway from Currambine to Mandurah and whenever I travel past a station - but not at all stations.Today was Whitfords, Warwick, Leederville, Murdoch, Cockburn, Wellard.
Is there a radio repeater or some really strong transmitted that could be knocking out WiFi signal?
I'd really appreciate some advice on where and how to start trying to resolve this.
Thanks in advance.
Tony
yorky

Re: WiFi interference at train stations

Post by yorky »

You can check the ACMA database for registered transmitters. There are all sorts of wireless things at stations including for radios, possibly some passenger assistance systems (although most might be cabled?), and the trains video system is over "wifi" but I don't know what frequency or strength.
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
JhG123
150+ posts
150+ posts

Re: WiFi interference at train stations

Post by JhG123 »

It's not just WiFi, it seems that my reception for Transperth on my scanner is anntetuated, tried with my telescopic antenna and my NA-771.