Underground busport

Rail, Bus and Ferry services

Moderator: Froggles

yorky

Underground busport

Post by yorky »

Hi all, just had a thought. With buses going underground in the new few weeks, what radio communications will they use while under there? Bus's are often communicated with when on stand and I imagine it would be hard to get an existing signal under there. Will they have repeaters?
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Re: Underground busport

Post by vk6hgr »

yorky wrote:Hi all, just had a thought. With buses going underground in the new few weeks, what radio communications will they use while under there? Bus's are often communicated with when on stand and I imagine it would be hard to get an existing signal under there. Will they have repeaters?
Don't know but they have some options. They could use a leaky feeder to repeat the repeaters inside the busport (like what is done with emergency services channels in the Northbridge tunnel). They could have a dedicated channel or even a completely separate radio system (digital?) for the busport. I think most of the bus companies that service the CBD have their repeaters on the tall CBD buildings so they might get enough signal down there to work. I know that they do nothing special for the Esplanade busport and it seems to work ok.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
yorky

Post by yorky »

Interesting listening tonight, buses calling Bus port Control on normal channels, only one sided conversations I'm guessing persons at the bus port were transmitting on talk around/simplex. Made the dispatchers job a lot harder hearing these calls on the same channel.
Bonez

Post by Bonez »

yorky wrote:Interesting listening tonight, buses calling Bus port Control on normal channels, only one sided conversations I'm guessing persons at the bus port were transmitting on talk around/simplex. Made the dispatchers job a lot harder hearing these calls on the same channel.
What frequency were you hearing this on? I might dig out the scanner and have a listen tonight.
yorky

Post by yorky »

On all three northern carriers Path 490.450/Veolia 490.500/Swan 470.375 there might be others that I wasn't listening to that also service the bus port.

EDIT: Not much regarding the bus port after that night I think that was just because of system malfunctions they were doing things more manually.
6stbase
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden USDS100

Post by 6stbase »

Special Events Channel (473.075) for the Busport Control Room
6ST Base is clear, is there a mobile calling on this channel?