Yes; ANOTHER gas bus fire!

Rail, Bus and Ferry services

Moderator: Froggles

doggie015

Yes; ANOTHER gas bus fire!

Post by doggie015 »

"Perth's fleet of gas-fuelled buses may have to be taken off the road if unexplained fires continue to threaten safety.

The warning from the Public Transport Authority comes after a Mercedes-Benz bus caught fire and was badly damaged as it was about to be refuelled at the Welshpool depot on Sunday night.

The bus is one of more than 500 in the Transperth fleet fuelled by compressed natural gas.

It was the third major fire on a gas-fuelled bus in the past four months - with a total damage bill of about $1.5 million - and one of at least 14 fires in the past five years."

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/br ... gas-fleet/

My question to you is: How many more of these will it take before the gas buses are actually pulled off the road?
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Re: Yes; ANOTHER gas bus fire!

Post by Zebedee »

doggie015 wrote:My question to you is: How many more of these will it take before the gas buses are actually pulled off the road?
They've said that the gas powered buses aren't going to be withdrawn. I don't know how many of the entire Transperth fleet are gas powered but I would imagine it's a fairly significant number. Withdrawing all of them from service would create huge holes in the schedules and would stand to cause even more drama and chaos than the occasional one catching fire.

That's not to say they shouldn't do something about that issue - unless of course you count a bus catching fire as a good selling point. After all, we're coming into winter and bus passengers need to keep warm somehow! :)

I would imagine it'd be like a vehicle recall where they're all taken out of service progressively and upgraded. I heard something on the radio last night on the way home about extra fire suppression systems being fitted, didn't really pay much attention to the meat of the story though.
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Blinky
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Blinky »

Zebedee wrote:
They've said that the gas powered buses aren't going to be withdrawn..
The buses are withdrawing themselves one a month it seems.

It was mentioned on talkback radio this morning that if the drivers follwed their own hazzard risk matrix, the buses are now on the highest risk rating. Any other industry would be an immediate off the road order but that would create kaos for commuters.

No injuries sofar, shilby rite [-o<

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those who do not.
robbage
Amateur callsign: VK6UFO_VK6RN
Scanners and Receivers:  
Scanners/receivers
Diamond Welz WS1000 wideband handheld
Radioshack Pro 28 handheld
Uniden UBC72XLT handheld
Uniden UBC73XLT handheld
Uniden UBC330CRS desktop

Two-way
Yaesu VX-3R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wideband RX handheld
Yaesu FT-1802M 2m Ham TRX mobile x 2
Yaesu FT-7800R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-208H 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-706MKIIG all-band all-mode Ham TRX mobile
Icom IC-V85 2m VHF Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-UVD1P VHF/UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-679P VHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-713 UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld

Post by robbage »

According to my employer, I have the right to leave my place of work if I believe my health and/or safety are at risk. AFAIK that is straight from Worksafe. I wonder ....
Rob
OF78WD
 Amateur moderator
Arguing with a fool proves there are two
6stbase
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden USDS100

Post by 6stbase »

If this is the one I think it is, I've heard from various sources that this one was an electrical fire & had nothing to do with the previous fires. Apparently the engine was undamaged
6ST Base is clear, is there a mobile calling on this channel?
doggie015

Post by doggie015 »

6stbase wrote:If this is the one I think it is, I've heard from various sources that this one was an electrical fire & had nothing to do with the previous fires. Apparently the engine was undamaged
Hopefully the fire was not caused by a design flaw in all of the gas buses... The last thing we need is MORE danger of spontaneous combustion!
6stbase
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden USDS100

Post by 6stbase »

One of my sources has informed me, that the problem has been found and rectified. I'm not going to say anymore just yet... We'll wait and see if there are any more problems in the near future first.
6ST Base is clear, is there a mobile calling on this channel?
slipknot
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu FT-857 Yaesu FT7800 Icom ID800H

Post by slipknot »

I was on the bus the other day and could smell a gas leak. Rang up Transperth and warned them. The bus was radioed and we pulled over.

When the driver couldn't smell a leak, off we went again, although she would periodicity check again for a leak along the way.

Probably wasnt the best idea to use my phone coming to think of it.........