Transperth to trial hybrid buses in March on CAT routes

Rail, Bus and Ferry services

Moderator: Froggles

doggie015

Transperth to trial hybrid buses in March on CAT routes

Post by doggie015 »

It looks like Transperth might be looking at new bus models. I spotted a rather unusual bus in the Claisebrook bus depot this morning (Was unable to get a picture due to the fact that I was whizzing past on the train inbound to Claisebrook station) which had three units on the roof (Presumably one for air con and two for battery storage) and was clearly marked with "HYBRID" on the side. After some quick google-fu I found a blog post about it: http://parkingconsultants.com/_blog/WAY ... ybrid_bus/ and a mention of it in the official PTA Transperth bus annual report for 2012: http://www.pta.wa.gov.au/portals/0/annu ... buses.html (Right at the bottom of the page is this sentence: "Major initiatives for 2012-13... Commence trial of the diesel-electric hybrid bus".

I was also able to find a detailed statement about the trial: http://www.mediastatements.wa.gov.au/pa ... tatId=7102

Do you think that this might actually become a permanent thing or just go the way of the fuel cell bus?
Nafenn

Re: Transperth to trial hybrid buses in March on CAT routes

Post by Nafenn »

whatever happened to those Hydrogen buses?
Nathan Fenn
WARSUG Aviation Band & Reviews Moderator

Anything I say is my opinion, and has nothing to do with/does not reflect the views of anyone I was/am/will be involved with/employed by/volunteer for/associated with. There, I think that should cover it!
yorky

Post by yorky »

I saw it the other week in as I drove through Welshpool as well (it was on the news a couple of nights before), had Dealer plates on it.

I guess we will have to await the results of the trial? The media statement didn't really say WHY they want this bus, but that its another alternative to test.
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
TLD11

Post by TLD11 »

Nafenn wrote:whatever happened to those Hydrogen buses?
The trial of the Hydrogen buses finished in Sept 2007. They sat at Malaga Depot for quite a while after that. (18 months) From what i'm told, the mechanicals were stripped and sent back to Germany on No's 1 & 3 and then the body was scrapped. No. 2 is up at the Bus Preservation Society at Whitman Park.
I did the old double take when i saw the Hydrid Bus driving thru kewdale a couple of weeks ago aswell!
6stbase
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden USDS100

Post by 6stbase »

The Hybrid bus is a Volvo B5RH Parallel Hybrid (Meaning it can run on it's batteries alone, diesel motor alone or both together). It will be based at Claisebrook Depot and will be operated by Veolia Transport on the CAT Routes. It's fleet number is 2245 and it is registered as TP-2245.

Also of interest are 7x SWB Volvo B7RLE's (2139-2145) which look to be extra CATS for the new Green CAT which is due to start soon I believe.
6ST Base is clear, is there a mobile calling on this channel?