Rail, Bus and Ferry services

Moderator: Froggles

allycat
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden 536HP DMR,NXDN Uniden USDS100 DMR,NXDN Codan NGT

Bus fire

Post by allycat »

Just heard a report of a bus fire in Rockingham.
http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/br ... troys-bus/
doggie015

Re: Bus fire

Post by doggie015 »

I hope that they find out what caused it and why the onboard fire suppressant could not deal with it soon.... I think that it might be worth the PTA's while to make sure that every available diesel bus can be put into service should the gas busses be pulled off the road. (Beside which; they have more comfortable seats, more legroom, are quieter and smoother than their modern day counterparts. Although the most recent batch has come close...)
TLD11

Post by TLD11 »

Bussy Busswell said on the news this arvo that they are NOT pulling the gas buses of the road. Probably can't afford to as 43% of the fleet are gas - it would cause kaos!!
doggie015

Post by doggie015 »

If a few more of these incidents occur they may be forced to... But one thing that confuses me is why the fire suppression system was woefully inadequate for putting out the fire... What if next time there is no smoke?
6stbase
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden USDS100

Post by 6stbase »

Firstly, the Gas components of the vehicle were undamaged (Read: Completely intact). It was in no way related to the CNG systems of the vehicle. You will find that it was most likely caused by a faulty oil supply line to the turbo, leaking on to the hot exhaust.

In every one of the many fires that the CNG OC500LE's have had, the only part of the vehicle that has survived in each, is the CNG storage tanks and supply lines. All safety valves etc... that vent the gas out of the tanks have operated as they are designed to.
6ST Base is clear, is there a mobile calling on this channel?
yorky

Post by yorky »

Which begs the question since this has happened before, why can't they re-route the line to not drip on a hot exhaust?

Obviously I'm not a mechanic and it could be harder than that, but the (usual) media hype was all about the gas... Although the media beat up was a bit extreme, things like the window of a house blowing out simply because the wheel blew. Well any vehicle fire usually makes the tyre explode so no surprise there. And looking at the video the gas appeared to vent correctly...
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
Arrived4-4

Post by Arrived4-4 »

yorky wrote:Which begs the question since this has happened before, why can't they re-route the line to not drip on a hot exhaust?

Obviously I'm not a mechanic and it could be harder than that, but the (usual) media hype was all about the gas... Although the media beat up was a bit extreme, things like the window of a house blowing out simply because the wheel blew. Well any vehicle fire usually makes the tyre explode so no surprise there. And looking at the video the gas appeared to vent correctly...
Amen
It is very possible to re route the oil lines, but usually oil only smokes if it comes into contact with exhaust, Having said that i am utterly confused
allycat
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by allycat »

Heard something about anouthor bus fire at Perth airport .Any one else hear anything?
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

allycat wrote:Heard something about anouthor bus fire at Perth airport .Any one else hear anything?
Hey Ally, I heard brief comms from DO Cockburn. Stated no LPG tank fitted to bus. That's about it.

G
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

"I am not one who was born in the possession of knowledge. I am one who is fond of antiquity, and earnest in seeking it there." — Confucius

Any views expressed in the above post are my own and do not necessarily depict or reflect the views or opinions of DFES/FRS or VBFB.
allycat
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by allycat »

From memory i heard it was a Transperth bus.Number plate started with TC.Fire was spreading from bus to building.$50 000 damage.Coms from Airport fire rescue P-25 & Fesa.
yorky

Post by yorky »

I thought Transperth buses rego's started with TP? TC is something different.
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

yorky wrote:I thought Transperth buses rego's started with TP? TC is something different.
That's what I thought. TC would be those private coaches. TP for Transperth. (I could be wrong but I am certain).

G
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

"I am not one who was born in the possession of knowledge. I am one who is fond of antiquity, and earnest in seeking it there." — Confucius

Any views expressed in the above post are my own and do not necessarily depict or reflect the views or opinions of DFES/FRS or VBFB.
allycat
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by allycat »

Privately owned buses and coaches use TC (Touring coach).Sorry i thought it was a Transperth bus.But then they said it was not an LNG bus.
yorky

Post by yorky »

Ten News just showed it as an airport Connect bus.
yorky

Post by yorky »

Another bus fire at Curtin, it was read out as a CNG bus I missed the number.