Train Lines - Disruptions - 2012

Rail, Bus and Ferry services

Moderator: Froggles

doggie015

Train Lines - Disruptions - 2012

Post by doggie015 »

"Passengers are advised that train services on the Mandurah and Joondalup lines are delayed until further notice due to a technical issue."

Effective Friday 20 January 2012 at 6.40am

http://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/Service ... fault.aspx

Anyone know anything about this? I have been hearing chatter about TVM's being broken but they don't cause train delays!
yorky

Re: Train Lines - Disruptions - 2012

Post by yorky »

Lightning is cause signalling issues is what I'm hearing.
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
doggie015

Post by doggie015 »

Joondalup Line – Perth to Stirling service disruption
Effective Sunday 12 February - Wednesday 15 February 2012

Transperth train services will be cancelled between Perth and Stirling all day Sunday 12 February and on the evenings between Monday 13 and Wednesday 15 February 2012.

This has been happening a LOT recently! Why do they have to cancel services between Perth underground and Stirling so often?
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

doggie015 wrote:This has been happening a LOT recently! Why do they have to cancel services between Perth underground and Stirling so often?
It's because of works in the city, to do with the Perth City Link project. There's a page on the Transperth website that shows all the upcoming trackworks etc and it says for the dates you mentioned: "Trains will be cancelled between Perth and Stirling ... due to PCL works."
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
yorky

Post by yorky »

Trains are delayed or cancelled this morning on all lines, some are starting to run again.
doggie015

Post by doggie015 »

I just got that email. Holy crap that must be some "technical issue"!

yorky

Post by yorky »

I actually heard FESA respond to the incident and from what I heard it was electrical related.
doggie015

Post by doggie015 »

yorky wrote:I actually heard FESA respond to the incident and from what I heard it was electrical related.
ooh... that means it's probably an electrical fire of some description. From what I am hearing on Transperth radio there are obviously significant crowds building up along the train replacement service routes. Considering that people are going into work as we speak it's not a good time for the trains to be not running.

Confirmed electrical fire. http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/843 ... rail-lines

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/fire-sp ... 6297932307

Not a good time!
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

From what I heard this morning, the electrical fire started on a Transformer that recieves power (but doesn't distribute - if this makes sense. Someone with electrical knowledge, will know what this is). The firies that attended were unable to extinguish it, as it was arcing quite badly.

G
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

"I am not one who was born in the possession of knowledge. I am one who is fond of antiquity, and earnest in seeking it there." — Confucius

Any views expressed in the above post are my own and do not necessarily depict or reflect the views or opinions of DFES/FRS or VBFB.
doggie015

Post by doggie015 »

gkoutlis wrote:From what I heard this morning, the electrical fire started on a Transformer that recieves power (but doesn't distribute - if this makes sense. Someone with electrical knowledge, will know what this is). The firies that attended were unable to extinguish it, as it was arcing quite badly.

G
OUCH! That must be why the services are out... the fire must have forced FESA to cut power to the overhead lines driving the trains in the central Perth area in order to extinguish the inferno. Either that or the transformer must be directly related to said overhead lines. If it's the latter the trains will be down for a little while yet... Well... maybe more than a little while!

It sounds like people are starting to get a bit fed up at Wellington Street busport... Not surprising!

EDIT: What does it mean when a train is sent up the down main?
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

doggie015 wrote:
gkoutlis wrote:From what I heard this morning, the electrical fire started on a Transformer that recieves power (but doesn't distribute - if this makes sense. Someone with electrical knowledge, will know what this is). The firies that attended were unable to extinguish it, as it was arcing quite badly.

G
OUCH! That must be why the services are out... the fire must have forced FESA to cut power to the overhead lines driving the trains in the central Perth area in order to extinguish the inferno. Either that or the transformer must be directly related to said overhead lines. If it's the latter the trains will be down for a little while yet... Well... maybe more than a little while!

It sounds like people are starting to get a bit fed up at Wellington Street busport... Not surprising!

Just to correct a few things (not being nasty or picky).

1) It's not FESA's job to isolate power. However, the FRS guys are/were on standby to extinguish fire once power was isolated.
2) There was no "inferno" - a small fire combined with electrical arcing.

G
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

"I am not one who was born in the possession of knowledge. I am one who is fond of antiquity, and earnest in seeking it there." — Confucius

Any views expressed in the above post are my own and do not necessarily depict or reflect the views or opinions of DFES/FRS or VBFB.
doggie015

Post by doggie015 »

gkoutlis wrote:
doggie015 wrote:

G

Just to correct a few things (not being nasty or picky).

1) It's not FESA's job to isolate power. However, the FRS guys are/were on standby to extinguish fire once power was isolated.
2) There was no "inferno" - a small fire combined with electrical arcing.

G
My mistake... :oops:

EDIT: The West Australian has a picture of the offending transformer
http://l.yimg.com/ea/img/-/120313/fire_ ... 7lt45c.jpg

According to the article at http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/mp ... -services/ "Spokesman David Hynes said... "I can say with absolute fact that the trains will not be back any time this morning."

Apparantly news agencies have not been given permission to be on the platform area of any affected stations. Only the carparks

EDIT2: It's made the Sydney Morning Herald! http://www.smh.com.au/wa-news/trains-de ... 1uxc3.html
What's worse is that it has a better picture of the transformer
http://images.smh.com.au/2012/03/13/312 ... -420x0.jpg

EDIT3: I have never seen the Bassendean bus stop this crowded! http://www.abc.net.au/news/image/388611 ... 40x627.jpg

On the other side of the coin it's a ghost town at Perth Station. http://www.abc.net.au/news/image/451228-3x2-940x627.jpg (I suspect that image is not from today as it shows some of the wooden footbridge that was removed)
Last edited by doggie015 on Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:31 am, edited 5 times in total.
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

:wink:
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

doggie015

Post by doggie015 »

HOLY...!

Sounds like frustration is reaching boiling point. Police and an ambulence have been called to rockingham station. A man was given a rather severe kick to the head and is in convulsions... it sounds bad

EDIT: The ambulance has arrived and the person that delivered the kick is known to police who "have it under control"
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

doggie015 wrote:EDIT: What does it mean when a train is sent up the down main?
The world implodes :)

Nah, it just means something is running in the opposite direction to what it usually would, similar to driving on the wrong side of the road.

I have to shake my head at the uninformed, unintelligent yet over-opinionated posts in the comments sections on the popular media's websites. Destroys my faith in humanity that little bit more.

I was only about 15 minutes late to work this morning, traffic was understandably heavier than usual, but it wasn't too bad I guess... It certainly could have been worse!
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.