Broadcasting Events on UHF CB...

Frequently asked questions.

Got a question? This is the best place to check first!
Rusty_Nail
Amateur callsign: WYC681
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UH090 Uhf - Base Station
UH076sx - Handheld 5W Uhf
UH075 - Handheld 5W Uhf
Pearce Simpson Super Cheetah - AM, LSB and USB 27Mhz
Uniden Bearcat Handheld Scanner
Uniden Bearcat Base Station Scanner

Broadcasting Events on UHF CB...

Post by Rusty_Nail »

Hey all.

I have recently been discussing an idea with another member.
The idea is still on the drawing board, and we need some feedback from WARSUG members. All suggestions and constructive critisisms are welcome.

So here goes..
We are considering the concept of starting a scanner enthusiest group, where members and outsiders can tune in to a selected UHF CB Channel at a certain time during the week, where we can discuss scanning events and highlights which occured during the week. Sort of like a call back night which most of the (successful) repeater groups have once a week.

Were not sure how many people would be interested in joining such a group, but all feedback is welcome.

What the callback night would entail is another topic up for discussion. There are many more aspects to be considered, but we are relying on the general public to point us in the right direction.

If you have any comment, positive or negative, then please let us know.

Cheers

Rusty Nail
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

I would be up for this, I think channel 3 or 8 would have to be the go.
Per Ardua-Ad Astra
Bonez

Post by Bonez »

You have to be careful with the legalities of broadcasting things that you have heard on police and other frequencies.

Also, I don't think you'd have much luck organising anything on a repeater, you'd be competing with too many dickheads, it would esentially be organised chaos.

A simplex channel might work yes; but you'd need someone in a good central location with a decent setup.
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

I also think its a great idea, but do also realise Bonez's comments which is something we definatley have to be careful of.

I like the idea 100%, and would also be interested to see what people think...

Mr G
wnm

Post by wnm »

I have a very good location if your interested in this. Full LOS over northern suburbs, Also has an internet link and can be used with VoIP (so the freq doesnt get blasted over when you transmit) I could organise a radio no problem to do this if you are interested.
fly_on_the_wall

Post by fly_on_the_wall »

Last edited by fly_on_the_wall on Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wnm

Post by wnm »

You also have to remember the Legality of broadcasting at that wattage. It will attract alot of attention from the ACMA if it happens
fly_on_the_wall

Last edited by fly_on_the_wall on Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wnm

Post by wnm »

No Argument there :)
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

fly_on_the_wall wrote:maybe so, but i do have licences to operate at high power. i am a certified, licenced radio tech for SJA

cheers
The power output is licensed for each frequency/site - because you may use higher powered radios for someone like SJA (presuming they are licensed to do so), this doesnt give you permission to do so on any other frequencies or bands (like breaching the CBRS Class License).
fly_on_the_wall

celestial_insight
Banned

Post by celestial_insight »

Yo, fly man, why not buy a couple of private freqs, put up a repeater and rent units out to warsug members to keep each other up to date and chit chat etc. What would something like that cost? $30 p/m per person or similar?
MidKnight123

Post by MidKnight123 »

celestial_insight wrote:Yo, fly man, why not buy a couple of private freqs, put up a repeater and rent units out to warsug members to keep each other up to date and chit chat etc. What would something like that cost? $30 p/m per person or similar?
id be interested in that
celestial_insight
Banned

Post by celestial_insight »

You could do it yourself through ACMA but you'd need to rent the repeater and site, or, maybe even try VHF simplex (!), or try someone like OCP Sales in Belmont to see what he has available... (9477 6063)
MidKnight123

Post by MidKnight123 »

anyone got some ideas of cost without a repeater? with a repeater its very expensive