New tab/window

Frequently asked questions.

Got a question? This is the best place to check first!
Bigfella78

New tab/window

Post by Bigfella78 »

Hey,

I have a suggestion, I'm not sure how hard it would be but is it possible to make it when you click a link to another site that its opened in a new tab or window.

I forget that warsug doesn't do it and just click and then have to go back and click open in new tab. it also means I can keep browsing warsug and other sites at the same time.

maybe?

Bigfella
A52

"Just because your paranoid doesn't mean their not following you"
Nafenn

Re: New tab/window

Post by Nafenn »

Bigfella78 wrote:Hey,

I have a suggestion, I'm not sure how hard it would be but is it possible to make it when you click a link to another site that its opened in a new tab or window.

I forget that warsug doesn't do it and just click and then have to go back and click open in new tab. it also means I can keep browsing warsug and other sites at the same time.

maybe?

Bigfella
there are quite a few wasys o do this.

1) clicking the link with the mouse wheel

2) Right click, "Open in new tab"

Allowing links to be opened in a differnet tab is in the coding of the site: which can't be edited (well, not legally anyway)
Nathan Fenn
WARSUG Aviation Band & Reviews Moderator

Anything I say is my opinion, and has nothing to do with/does not reflect the views of anyone I was/am/will be involved with/employed by/volunteer for/associated with. There, I think that should cover it!
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

It's not? It's only started happening since we went to version 3 of phpBB. I would have expected it to just be a tick box, or drop down box.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

From a bit of googling around, it appears that this feature was deliberately removed, as target="_blank" (the coding in a link to make it open in a separate window) isn't XHTML compliant, which is something the developers of phpBB wanted to achieve.

There are some hacks and work-arounds to enable links opening in a new window, but if I read the posts correctly, it only takes effect for links posted *after* the change is made. So we'd then be in the odd situation of some links opening in a new window and some opening in the same window... How'd THAT be for confusing? :)

My own opinion is that people should manage their own link behaviour - I mostly open new links from pages into new tabs by clicking with the mouse wheel button (or CTRL+LeftClick for ancient mice that have no wheel ;) ). It's surprising how quickly you can train yourself to do that without even thinking about it.

What does everyone else think?
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Bigfella78

Post by Bigfella78 »

I'd agree normally but,
I'm a member of a few different forums and this is the only one that doesn't open a new tab or window when clicking an external link....
One forum I'm a member of also opens new tabs when you click on an internal link too.. They are trying to fix that one now..

The thinking behind it is you want to keep people in the forum.
A52

"Just because your paranoid doesn't mean their not following you"
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

Bigfella78 wrote:I'd agree normally but,
I'm a member of a few different forums and this is the only one that doesn't open a new tab or window when clicking an external link....
One forum I'm a member of also opens new tabs when you click on an internal link too.. They are trying to fix that one now..

I'd rather the user be responsible for what happens when you click on a link, rather than the website telling your PC that it must open in a new window etc. Plain lazy if you cant right click, middle click or whatever instead. Power to the user!
Nafenn

Post by Nafenn »

Bigfella78 wrote:I'd agree normally but,

do any other forums use this software? *cough*
Nathan Fenn
WARSUG Aviation Band & Reviews Moderator

Anything I say is my opinion, and has nothing to do with/does not reflect the views of anyone I was/am/will be involved with/employed by/volunteer for/associated with. There, I think that should cover it!
radiotech

Post by radiotech »

Zebedee wrote:My own opinion is that people should manage their own link behaviour - I mostly open new links from pages into new tabs by clicking with the mouse wheel button (or CTRL+LeftClick for ancient mice that have no wheel ;) ). It's surprising how quickly you can train yourself to do that without even thinking about it.
I agree with your thoughts there Doug.