icon icr5 scanner

Frequently asked questions.

Got a question? This is the best place to check first!
donmcq

icon icr5 scanner

Post by donmcq »

i am new to scanning and just purchased an icom icr5 scanner. am 58 years old and am having huge trouble understanding the instruction manual. if someone out there can help me programme it i will be very grateful .i live at warnbro
don
Last edited by donmcq on Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always RX

Post by Always RX »

Welcome to the Group Don. Nice radio purchase mate. It can be daunting setting up the scanner for the first time...until you learn the information flows and the lingo. I dont have an Icom (but ive always wanted one) so i dont have exacting knowledge on programming that unit....but like the veterinarian said...No ,im not a gynaecologist , but im prepared to take a look. 8)
So if you have transport up to Mosman Park let me know here and we can talk more about meeting....alternatively i will be in Wellard on Sunday and i would be happy to pop over to Warney some time to help you out or maybe get confused together....let me know mate...
MikeStevens

IC-R5 newbie

Post by MikeStevens »

Hi donmcq

Reading your post I realise that I'm in the same position re: a IC-R5 scanner as you, albeit I'm a little older, a real oldie - newbie.

Seriously did you get much more meaningful help to your posting? How are your expreiences with the device progressing. I bought mine only this week any help would be appreciated, like "How do you begin?"

Thanks in advance.
:D
Mike
herbie1204

Post by herbie1204 »

I have an Icom IC-R5 and the only trouble I am having with it at the moment is how to use the memory function to program the channels I want to into memory. Great little scanner though. Worth the money I paid for it.
scanvictoria

Post by scanvictoria »

What features are you guys having trouble with?
Please be descriptive :)
MikeStevens

Problems

Post by MikeStevens »

Michael

Firstly thanks for your reply and offer of help.

I have looked at and registered with the form www.scanvictoria.com and wish the venture success.

My problems are that I am a new scanner and I don't have basic knowledge of the various methods and techniques involved. I have a IC-R5 and this seems to do everything and more, but I initially want to listen to something, anything.

Ultimately I will be interestied in airband scanning at Airshows etc but I certainly need to master a few basics first.

The information I need is, for axample:

1. How far away from a transmitter do I need to be?
2. I have many lists of frequencies, but when I try them I get no or very little response.
3. The IC-R5 manaul is daunting to me. It has a section headed "Your first scanning experience" and I have no trouble swiching the device on and adjusting the audio level (see I am not a complete idiot, whatever you may have gathered), but when I get to "Turn to the desired frequency" problems begin. What frequency, when, which band, Select the frequency band; what does that mean?

I may need a basic scanning book or simple list of steps to carry out.

The above sounds very negative and it is not meant to be as I am keen tp progress and learn.

I appreciate you guys setting up forums and offers of help very much.

Mike Stevens
Mike