Using Baofeng here in WA

Frequently asked questions.

Got a question? This is the best place to check first!
CBeesrRad

Using Baofeng here in WA

Post by CBeesrRad »

Hi, I'm not new the forums, but I've had to make a new account. I've been talking to an investigator over at ACMA via email, inquiring about the Baofeng BF-F8 HP (8W Dual Ban Transceiver). I understand that the 8W portion of it is illegal, yet It's fully programmable. I was told by the investigator that it was actually illegal to use this radio, even whilst programmed for TX to the standard Australian UHF CB radio channels. And perhaps some police channels to use as a scanner. I was told that It had to have the RMS (I think) Tick on the back, and had to have a few more ticks (A tick I think). I was bloody scared when I found out this, as I never knew that was the case. I canceled my order as soon as I found out, got a refund, yet it arrived today. I was also told that it is actually illegal to posses and/ or operate. I really don't want to get into any trouble, but is this all true and regulated? I see a few posts on here with people asking what frequency is what to program to and use, but the law states that a radio cannot be modified after manufacture. Can someone please clear this up for me? I'm a tad confused. Cheers.
matth2004
Amateur callsign: VK6MAH

Re: Using Baofeng here in WA

Post by matth2004 »

If we want to skim over the top of the details, the law says it's illegal to turn the thing on, unsure about being in possession. There's a number of posts that have been made citing the radio comms act and such which you might find around the forums.

CB is a class licenced band and as such you'll find all commercial 40/80ch radios sold are class licenced and approved. It takes a fair amount to get that approval, so you can understand why prices of off the shelf 2W and 5W handhelds seem ridiculously expensive for what they do, but as I'm sure you're aware, manufacturers would be quite upset if cheaper copies came out without the right approvals or having to jump the same hoops, kind of like this Uber vs Taxi scenario.

But maybe you could treat this as a chance to get your amateur radio licence, and then operate it on amateur bands? VK6 can never have too many amateurs!

Don't be too worried about the radio, just don't use it on CB, don't let anyone get a hold of it and don't use it until you're licenced. The main thing the ACMA are looking out for is those users/pirates that cause interference to others be it deliberate or not. And they're very good at catching those that do it intentionally.
Matt
VK6MAH
CBeesrRad

Post by CBeesrRad »

Right, that helps heaps mate! It's just that when I was talking to the investigator, he said that there is no license that would make this radio *Edit* (legal) to use. And yeah he definitely said that it was illegal to posses. Which I feel is rather harsh. As I stated also, this radio is fully customisable with it's channel spacing (KHz), radio frequency and control over Wattage, so what actually causes interference? If it's working on the same UHF frequency, band and channel spacing, what is it that causes interference?
yorky

Post by yorky »

This post says it best: viewtopic.php?p=105517#p105517

Bottom line is you cannot possess it full stop unless you have an amateur license (and use it on the appropriate frequencies, NOT including CB and NOT including commercial frequencies).
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
Turbo
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Turbo »

I'm confident you would have absolutely nothing to worry about in possessing this radio unless you start transmitting on it.
roland985
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden EZI30XLT Scanner.
Bearcat UBC355XLT

Post by roland985 »

Turbo wrote:I'm confident you would have absolutely nothing to worry about in possessing this radio unless you start transmitting on it.
I may or may not have the UV82C (Has VFO code lockout and is used as a scanner only). Don't TX. Don't do anything stupid. Respect the spectrum.
WASES CSU