Setting up streaming

Frequently asked questions.

Got a question? This is the best place to check first!
avidscavenger

Setting up streaming

Post by avidscavenger »

Hello all,
I'm a complete newbie at this - haven't even got a scanner at this stage. But I see a bunch of channels are streamed through WARSUG. I had been thinking about streaming a couple of DFES channels in my area (Denmark) and wondered whether WARSUG might already have at least part of the required infrastructure already in place. What would it take to set up such a stream?
Thanks for your help.
synx
Scanners and Receivers: Baofeng uv5r

Re: Setting up streaming

Post by synx »

Yo man, I would be interested to talk to you as your the first person in Denmark I know who's interested in this stuff. I'll also explain some streaming stuff and give you a few channels I have heard in Denmark. I talk on discord mostly but also have Instagram and Snapchat so pick one and get back to me with your username :)
avidscavenger

Post by avidscavenger »

Any reason we can't just chat here?

Sorry if I've got the wrong angle here but this is the first post from your account and you are asking me to take the conversation somewhere else - sounds suspect to me.
synx
Scanners and Receivers: Baofeng uv5r

Post by synx »

Haha all good man, yeah we can chat here it's just more seamless on instant messaging to attach files and chat about frequencys etc, have you joined the warsug discord? If not I would highly suggest it :)
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

It's pretty easy. There's two main components:

1. A Radio along with a good quality antenna. You can use a RTL dongle using RTL-SDR, which is cheaper, but the set up is a little fiddlier.
2. A computer running streaming software. Broadcastify.com is the go-to destination for the stream, and they have some pretty good guides.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
avidscavenger

Post by avidscavenger »

Thanks! I have an old dongle with a RTL2832U chip, sounds like that plus a bit of patience is all I need. I'm a Linux user - there seems to be some info out there so I'll give it a go tonight.

I guess I can learn about antennas by searching the WARSUG site?