Ambulance & Paramedics

St John Ambulance (6DS), AMS, RFDS etc. Frequencies, callsigns and discussion.

Moderator: Infernal

Nathan127
Amateur callsign: Rookie
Scanners and Receivers: Nil Looking into getting them

Ambulance & Paramedics

Post by Nathan127 »

Heya Guys

This might be a little off off topic in regards to scanning but i have always wondered do ambulance and police have a set route they drive during a shift until they get called to and emergency ect. or do you guys just drive around randomly until something happens

Just Curious

Thanks Guys
Nathan
To keep work happy: Any views expressed in the above post are my own and do not necessarily depict or reflect the views of my employer or any of their clients.

Infernal
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBC60XLT

Re: Ambulance & Paramedics

Post by Infernal »

Ambulances stay in the station till called.

If a call comes through while they are out, ie, returning from a previous call or a priority one comes through while on a 2.

When a P1 comes though there is a loud beep, and the radio operator comes over and says P1 pending in Morley.

If your close by you can pick up the call.

But most of the time the crews will be in the station, night shift sleep in the station, usually you can get a few hours sleep between 1am and 6am when it goes quiet.

There is no patrolling so to speak.
beechy42

Post by beechy42 »

Hahahah Sleep on night shift??? hahhah - I guess it depends on which depot your at! Maybe an hour here or there on a good night! The metro area can be very busy on nights - particularly because there is less ambulances at night and no patient transport vehicles! But once your out and your the closest to a 1 or 2 you get sent to it! Its actually really common that we'll be going to a 2 or 3 and get diverted to a 1.
Infernal

Post by Infernal »

HAHA yeah, I was at Mandurah, in bed by 1130 most nights :lol: :lol:
SJANT
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by SJANT »

You'll find most services will let you have the comfort of the station to base yourself at and not do random patrols. Most paramedics wouldn't want to do random patrols as it increases the chance of getting work as people see you out and about. Know some places internationally do stand by points at certain locations. On the whole it's usually a station for 'fatigue management'
Infernal

Post by Infernal »

I have had a shift where i did 2 calls for the 8 hour day, so we were in the station all day.

Ive also had other shifts where you go to your first call at 8am, and dont get back to the station again till 6pm at night as you clear one job, before they send you back to the station they check to see if there is any pending jobs nearby.