advance life

St John Ambulance (6DS), AMS, RFDS etc. Frequencies, callsigns and discussion.

Moderator: Infernal

Markmywords

Post by Markmywords »

Oh ok well thats sad to hear, do you know what illness he had ? Peter spent a good 10 years fighting a losing battle so hopefully the new owners will have some balls to stand up and make a stand against SJA.

And will definatley leave it at that, have to see the west tomorrow and look.
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

ALAS were at Barbagallo Raceway again on Saturday night for the Smokefree Night Masters round.

Good to see the relationship between the WASCC and ALAS is continuing. It must be tough sitting there in the middle of the track getting a view that practically nobody else gets :)
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Markmywords

Post by Markmywords »

I must say saw ALAS new well "refurbished" ex vic ambulance today in a car yard out in bibra lake i hope they didnt pay what they are asking for them :o looks in good nick though fowles had this same vehicle for sale for a few weeks in perth before this car yard brought it-i shouldve taken a pic but didnt have my camera on me. They need to get rid of those cheap hazard lightbars though.
Millsy

Post by Millsy »

Markmywords wrote:I must say saw ALAS new well "refurbished" ex vic ambulance today in a car yard out in bibra lake i hope they didnt pay what they are asking for them :o looks in good nick though fowles had this same vehicle for sale for a few weeks in perth before this car yard brought it-i shouldve taken a pic but didnt have my camera on me. They need to get rid of those cheap hazard lightbars though.
Last edited by Millsy on Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Markmywords

Post by Markmywords »

the ex vic ambo that ALAS brought had no lights no sirens no ambulance decals on it was just a plain white van but had ambulance fittings on the inside i was speaking to the dealer and he got the sparky to put the hazard lightbar on it was quite dissapointing though i thought they wouldve refitted it as it shouldve looked. $36,000 i nearly died thats what he is trying to flog the other one off for.

You should tell your new boss you can actually buy them as an ambulance as they come outta service for 3/4 that price if he knows the right person ;)
bomber
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by bomber »

Heard on the grapevine today that the Navy has an arrangement in place that will see there phase 4 medics do ride alongs as observers on the advance life buses. Apparently they are finding that there skills are getting stale as there isnt much in the way of medical emergencys on the island.
Markmywords

Post by Markmywords »

I think it wouldve been better putting them on SJA trucks, i mean the call outs you would get would be more than what ALAS are pulling. BUt thats my view anyways, i think ALAS have the contract for going to the naval base anyhows for transport.
Last edited by Markmywords on Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bomber
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by bomber »

Markmywords wrote:I think it wouldve been better putting them on SJA trucks !!!!
Not sure that St Johns is that flexible to allow ride alongs on there buses.
ZO100_marto
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by ZO100_marto »

bomber wrote:Heard on the grapevine today that the Navy has an arrangement in place that will see there phase 4 medics do ride alongs as observers on the advance life buses. Apparently they are finding that there skills are getting stale as there isnt much in the way of medical emergencys on the island.
5th Year Med students (dr's) do 6 shifts on the road with SJA 2 days, 2 nights, 2 days. The 14 hour nights are a real test for them.
Chicky
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Chicky »

ZO100_marto wrote:5th Year Med students (dr's) do 6 shifts on the road with SJA 2 days, 2 nights, 2 days. The 14 hour nights are a real test for them.
I have spoken to a student who did just that, and was really disappointed as they weren't allowed to do much, but were purely there as an 'observer' as such. But I guess it would come down to the crew, and what type of call you get? Be good for the naval boys to see a bit more than what they do, e.g. MVA's etc to increase not only their skills but their confidence.
West Coast Eagles
AFL Premiers 1992, 1994 & 2006 and....... ;)
R/Up 1991 & 2005
Since 1987 and still going strong :)
bomber
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by bomber »

ZO100_marto wrote:
bomber wrote:Heard on the grapevine today that the Navy has an arrangement in place that will see there phase 4 medics do ride alongs as observers on the advance life buses. Apparently they are finding that there skills are getting stale as there isnt much in the way of medical emergencys on the island.
5th Year Med students (dr's) do 6 shifts on the road with SJA 2 days, 2 nights, 2 days. The 14 hour nights are a real test for them.
This is one of many options that med students have, not necessarily in the 5th year. Think its a good idea, then they can see what it takes to get them to the emerg dept.
Markmywords

Post by Markmywords »

SJA definatley have ride alongs

Once again comes down to the crew who you go out with, ive been out observing a few times and got my hands dirty so was good, i know one of the team leaders so made sure i went out with a good crew.

I mean sitting at an ALAS depot where you may get one or 2 calls MAYBE wouldnt tempt me personally id rather go to a busy SJA depot where you would get maybe half a dozen calls or so.
bomber
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by bomber »

Advance life have added a new vehicle to there fleet. Only saw a really quick glimpse. Was a commodore ( ss ?. ) painted yellow and blue ging p1 to an mva. Had a really weird sounding siren on it thogh
Markmywords

Post by Markmywords »

An ss gees didnt know that i kow they have a Merc hiding somewhere must drive past and take some pics, i thought millsy was going to post some for us.

Is it an ss or sv6 maybe ?

Was it totally yellow/blue or just parts of it and an SS at that O.o no offence but do they REALLY need a V8 if it is just my 5c anyways and not having a "bash"

I know they had an frontera ages ago, what kinda lightbar LED or the old "hazard" lightbars that are el crapo
bomber
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by bomber »

Markmywords.

Really not sure what the vehicle was. We were watching all the vehicles go past and we heard a really weird siren. Saw that it was a car but can only guess what type of commodore it was. We only knew it was the advance life as someone rang my friend and said thats what it was. I have a mate that works for them and he mentioned the new vehicle on friday night. This is the first time that i have had a glimpse of it in the area.