advance life

St John Ambulance (6DS), AMS, RFDS etc. Frequencies, callsigns and discussion.

Moderator: Infernal

Aztech

Post by Aztech »

FYI.
I have been to several accidents that ALAS have attended.

Scenario.
Man complaining of neck pain as the result of a TA.

Alas arriving First on - Sja Close behind.

SJA, No we dont need to neck brace him he will be fine.
ALAS : - Lets neckbrace him, better to be SAFE rather than sorry.
SJA - We'll if your going to neckbrace him we are leaving
ALAS : - Rightyo then.

SJA leave ? AFTER arguing.
All Alas were worried about was the welfare of the patient.

Senario 2
P1 In Rockingham.
SJA Ambulance comes from COCKBURN.
(someone calls alas)
SJA arrive, then Alas.
SJA start resuscitation, Alas give assistants.
BOTH ALAS paramedics leave their ambulance and RIDE with the
SJA crew to the hospital, keeping this person alive, who sadly passed away on arrival.

I have seen 3 cases where ALAS have parked their ambos on the side of the road, to assist SJA...
They have been operating in Rockingham for the past 2 years, so maybe when they were running out of leeming they didnt respond to as many P1's, BUT now they are NEEDED in Rockingham, they have Qualified Crews who are extremely good.

A!
Chicky
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Chicky »

I have heard so much for and against both ALAS and SJA in my career. Yes, I used to work with ALAS until I secured a permanent position which I love :D But I cannot for the life of me understand why SJA refuse to call ALAS in for a possibly life threatening incident e.g. in Rocky area when the nearest ambulance for SJA would have to come from Mandurah or Cockburn (as posted earlier). At the end of the day, we are talking about people's lives, and politics keeps getting in the way. The incident referred to by Aztech resulted in the public calling ALAS after waiting 20 minutes for a man who was having a heart attack. Isn't any medical treatment better than no medical treatment? As was the sad outcome in this case.

And there is no problem on the front line between SJA and ALAS. I recall an incident where we were called by the public after no ambulance had responded within 15 minutes - we arrived about a minute after SJA, and worked together to help the victim who was trapped in a rollover in a large puddle of water. All 4 of us worked together to stabilise the patient, and we left our ambo at the scene and assisted by my ET driving and the other 3 of us in the back. Both us and SJA congratulated each other once the patient was taken into the ED, and we had a long discussion with them as they had to come from Armadale way. They were of the same opinion - why not call ALAS when there's a local TA/emergency when no local SJA's are available?

Unfortunately, its been a never ending fight for ALAS. Politics and power always get in the way.

Off my soapbox now :)
West Coast Eagles
AFL Premiers 1992, 1994 & 2006 and....... ;)
R/Up 1991 & 2005
Since 1987 and still going strong :)
Millsy

Post by Millsy »

At the end of the day. They both do what is required to get the job done. I personaly would call ALAS over SJA, Just like i would called Domino's over Pizza hut. . .
GC101
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by GC101 »

Last edited by GC101 on Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
westernwedgey
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by westernwedgey »

Millsy wrote:At the end of the day. They both do what is required to get the job done. I personaly would call ALAS over SJA, Just like i would called Domino's over Pizza hut. . .
Yeah Miilsy, when we moved to Port Kennedy neighbours told us if u need an ambulance ring ALAS and then SJA
GC101
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by GC101 »

Last edited by GC101 on Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wrex

Post by Wrex »

St Johns have the government contract for all 000 calls within this state.

Advanced life cannot respond to a 000 call. They have to be called direct.

Takes us 3 years to become a Paramedic takes Advanced life 2 weeks.

It shows with some of the backup calls to advanced life. but these are only isolated jobs i have been involved with.

I only know of 3 St John Paramedics who work for Advanced life on there days off purely for long haul transfers to reginal areas.
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

When I was a vollie with SJA down at Mandurah I was told that if anyone was found to be working for ALS they would be terminated...that would be paid staff too.
Per Ardua-Ad Astra
Wrex

Post by Wrex »

Dazla wrote:When I was a vollie with SJA down at Mandurah I was told that if anyone was found to be working for ALS they would be terminated...that would be paid staff too.
I would beleive that but nothing official has ever been said.[
Chicky
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Chicky »

Wrex wrote:St Johns have the government contract for all 000 calls within this state.

Advanced life cannot respond to a 000 call. They have to be called direct.

Takes us 3 years to become a Paramedic takes Advanced life 2 weeks.

It shows with some of the backup calls to advanced life. but these are only isolated jobs i have been involved with.

I only know of 3 St John Paramedics who work for Advanced life on there days off purely for long haul transfers to reginal areas.
There have been plenty of SJA paramedics working for ALAS that left SJA due to the political side... I have spoken with many of them and their general consensus is frustration at the number of basic hospital transfers that don't require the services of a paramedic as well as attendance times etc... Advance Life uses drivers, EMT's and paramedics (who are called to assist in serious incidences). I think the focus should be the use of Advance Life for transfers - not necessarily aiming at receiving 000 calls (or like you say called direct). That way there are free SJA ambo's on standby in the area to attend to P1's, MVA's etc in an acceptable time period. IMO...
West Coast Eagles
AFL Premiers 1992, 1994 & 2006 and....... ;)
R/Up 1991 & 2005
Since 1987 and still going strong :)
Markmywords

Did you know ??

Post by Markmywords »

I found this site by accident (pardon the pun) very interesting reading at that but nothing surprises me, about whats been said.

A few things you may or may not know

1) A traffic cop who is related to ALAS director rings him with details of accidents when he is on duty ( has been transferred apprantley because of this)

2) Ambulance watchdog WILL not post negative comments about ALAS because it is "alleged" its a website front controlled by ALAS in a way for knocking SJA of there perch and "hoping" to get ALAS some government work back" i suggest you try and see what happens.

3) Have you seen there ambulances lately ?? sorry still the same ones from 1994/1995 over ten years old and a few klms under there belt oh sorry they have ONE new vehicle that i have seen which looks like a ex nsw ambulance they have refitted yes home made ambulances NOT built by a registered ambulance builder = dodgy i have seen inside them and in one case O2 bottles rolling loose.

4) Paul & Warner Ambulance Builders will NOT sell ambulances to private ambulance services or anyone in competition with SJA. You may be lucky enough to get some equipment if you tell a white lie.

5) Yes there qualifiactions can be queried i also believe they use "industrial paramedics" who either have completed an ALAS course or a SJA course.

6) I have worked in the system in the past and have had many encounters running into them at accidents etc,

7) Yes i believe the goverment should tender out non emergency services via contract BUT only to those who meet the same requirements as SJA would do, look at the Victorian Ambulance Service model runs well everyones happy-it is definatley a towtruck industry ambulance service in W.A atm and those north of the river i have seen another new ambulance service running round joondalup keep your eyes peeled.
Millsy

Re: Did you know ??

Post by Millsy »

Markmywords wrote: 3) Have you seen there ambulances lately ?? sorry still the same ones from 1994/1995 over ten years old and a few klms under there belt oh sorry they have ONE new vehicle that i have seen which looks like a ex nsw ambulance they have refitted yes home made ambulances NOT built by a registered ambulance builder = dodgy i have seen inside them and in one case O2 bottles rolling loose.
Last edited by Millsy on Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Markmywords

Post by Markmywords »

Wrex wrote:
Dazla wrote:When I was a vollie with SJA down at Mandurah I was told that if anyone was found to be working for ALS they would be terminated...that would be paid staff too.
I would beleive that but nothing official has ever been said.[
Yes indeed one VAO who went to ALAS was shunned by SJA but was sweet talked backed to SJA and eventually obtained a perm job.
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

They are still shonky, wouldn’t surprise me to see them parked next to a tow truck at a servo........jokes Millsy.
Per Ardua-Ad Astra
Markmywords

Post by Markmywords »

dazla wrote:When I was a vollie with SJA down at Mandurah I was told that if anyone was found to be working for ALS they would be terminated...that would be paid staff too.

How long ago where you down at the mandurah sub centre as a VAO ?