advance life

St John Ambulance (6DS), AMS, RFDS etc. Frequencies, callsigns and discussion.

Moderator: Infernal

auntys_eyes

Post by auntys_eyes »

A post in the WAPol thread said there was a hit and run outside the raceway in the afternoon.
WARSUG Moderator - Media Section

VBFB Member

No onion, no garlic, no chilli, no pepper... NO POINT!!
ST_DOC

Post by ST_DOC »

Does anyone know what happened? I would like to find out.
I was walking and the xr8 came past with its lights on then the others came lights and sirens
Ambul8
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Ambul8 »

ZO100_marto wrote:gee the picture of the merc is the first model used as an ambulane in oz, that was the model that SJA here in WA thought the "base cap" was a clever design :lol:

Hope they don't need to get any where fast with that model, getting out and walking was often quicker :P
actually thats the 316 with the "sprint shift" ie the clutch less semi automatic, while a few of these did have the baseball cap lights the first merc was the 312 sprinter. had much squarer headlights, a t bar auto and i reckon a naturally aspirated diesel, even though merc did claim it was turbo...

those were slow. the ones in the pic were much better but a bit jerky, the new series II 316's are quite nice, enough power and smooth transmission.

will see if i can did up a pic of the old old merc
Ambul8 - if u break urself i'll fix u! Maybe...
ImageImage
auntys_eyes

Post by auntys_eyes »

Sorry if i am covering old ground, but for those not in the know, what is meant by the term 'baseball cap lights' :?: It has come up in several threads in relation to the Mercedes ambos, but i'm not sure what i am looking for, to tell them apart. Believe it or not it is troubling me not knowing what the subtle difference is :? .
WARSUG Moderator - Media Section

VBFB Member

No onion, no garlic, no chilli, no pepper... NO POINT!!
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

auntys_eyes wrote:Sorry if i am covering old ground, but for those not in the know, what is meant by the term 'baseball cap lights' :?: It has come up in several threads in relation to the Mercedes ambos, but i'm not sure what i am looking for, to tell them apart. Believe it or not it is troubling me not knowing what the subtle difference is :? .
good question, I would also like to know. seeing as cars isn't my best subject. All I know is they should have 4 wheels, go forward and backwards, at at least the speed limit, turn, play music, and as a bonus have red and blue lights and go weeeooooww when appropriate :)
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
ZO100_marto
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by ZO100_marto »

Yep your spot on Ambul8 that would be a 316, I was looking at the small mirror which was a give away with the 317's then I looked at the indicator and it wasn't a "tear drop" and therefore isn't a 317 :D

As for those asking about the "baseball cap" here you go,

This was the first Merc introduced into WA, as you can see it didn't take long to move away from a home made light bar :lol:
Tom
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Tom »

Speaking of old Ambos fellas I was behind that #1 1BBK132 yesterday on Main St.

That's that old Ambo with a similar light set-up to that shot ZO100_marto posted. Hasn't got the front light-bar and the rear lights are different.

Also how many of those Landcruiser's does SJA have in the metro area? I've seen at least 2 different ones in the past weeks?
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

Tom wrote:Speaking of old Ambos fellas I was behind that #1 1BBK132 yesterday on Main St.

That's that old Ambo with a similar light set-up to that shot ZO100_marto posted. Hasn't got the front light-bar and the rear lights are different.

Also how many of those Landcruiser's does SJA have in the metro area? I've seen at least 2 different ones in the past weeks?
Im guessing that they have 4 in total - and a few of the Subaru Forresters with LED Lightbars -
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

"I am not one who was born in the possession of knowledge. I am one who is fond of antiquity, and earnest in seeking it there." — Confucius

Any views expressed in the above post are my own and do not necessarily depict or reflect the views or opinions of DFES/FRS or VBFB.
ST_DOC

Post by ST_DOC »

I saw the ALAS Merc going P1 on sat night on warnbro snd ave it has alot of pick up from stand still. Then saw ALAS Merc and ALAS VW in attendance at two car MVA. Unmarked vz in attendance
Markmywords

Post by Markmywords »

The merc needs just ONE more band of reflective striping around the top to make it OH&S compliant !!! Doesnt seen to be diamond grade type of tape either that they have used. Work must be picking up if they have 2 crews on a sat night and attending MVA'S as well.
ST_DOC

Post by ST_DOC »

there were quite a few of them at the v8s on sat and sun i saw heaps of staff walking around and in golf buggies. I think there was four tents around the circuit and a main medical centre where the ute and drs car was.
ST_DOC

Post by ST_DOC »

does anyone have any more photos of alas at the v8s????????????????
ZO100_marto
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by ZO100_marto »

Tom wrote:Speaking of old Ambos fellas I was behind that #1 1BBK132 yesterday on Main St.

Amb 1 is/was at Joondalup and was the last one on the road, I had thought it was de commisioned but perhaps not...

As for the Cruiser's there was 2 which were also being de commisioned as the forresters come on board. 1 used by day onroad lacky and 1 by night onroad lacky.

They were also doing up some forresters for the paramedics they are trying to get to go to towns like Kununurra, etc so perhaps there floating around town aswell.
Ambul8
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Ambul8 »

"Old Ambulance 1" aka the baseball cap variety, is not in active service. It is used weekly by a special crew brought in to make the weekly medication run to all the metro depots.

You may find one or two of the baseball cap vans running around, even saw one at workshops the other day. There may be a few in service in quiet country areas, but given the rater inept engine, poor gearbox and even poorer brakes, for the most part they are gone (god bless their cotton picking socks).

Insofar as land cruisers, I assume you mean the 80 series wagons and not troopies. A few of the country subcentres have troopies, most noticeably lancelin, which you would see on its rare trips into the metro hospitals.

As 80 series go, 2 of them, as was said earlier. 1 x day and 1 x night. And 2 forresters.

Oh and worth noting, a particular ambulance number is not allocated to a Depot. They are rotated around the fleet to even up Km's and workload and even get out for a rest at the bigger paid country centers.

for example, was at a hospital and came across ambulance 1 which now is at Mandurah. Not sure wat's at joondalup rite now as I live and work SOR and dont like NOR nor the people from it :P
Ambul8 - if u break urself i'll fix u! Maybe...
ImageImage
Markmywords

Post by Markmywords »

Well alas is certainly busy seen there vans running round P1 alot so dunno where the works coming from but certinaly busy i guess they need to be to pay for the vans n vehicles they have !!

ANymore pics of there new mercs out n about ?