Emergency Driving

St John Ambulance (6DS), AMS, RFDS etc. Frequencies, callsigns and discussion.

Moderator: Infernal

southlaker

Emergency Driving

Post by southlaker »

Hi

Long time reader, first time writer.

Question: (and I apologise for it not being regarding scanning)

Yesterday in Toodyay I was passed by an ambulance travelling with its lights flashing and siren sounding. The driver had his window down with his elbow hanging from the open window. He looked as though he was on a casual Sunday drive rather than enroute to an emergency. All that was missing was a cigarette hanging from the corner of his mouth.

Are there any rules regarding driving?

Cheers
helimedic
Amateur callsign: VK6EMS

Re: Emergency Driving

Post by helimedic »

Southlaker,

St John Ambulance WA stipulate that all windows of the vehicle are to be closed whilst driving under Priority One conditions.

Helimedic
canon
Banned

Post by canon »

helimedic wrote:Southlaker,

St John Ambulance WA stipulate that all windows of the vehicle are to be closed whilst driving under Priority One conditions.

Helimedic
Just on that note it would be interesting to know as to whether SJA vollies and other private providers have there staff do the 2 week driver training program as career ambos have to?
truth is stranger than fiction. Its better to tell the truth and accept your destiny than to BS your way through and have a lonely life.
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by 4353 »

canon wrote:
helimedic wrote:Southlaker,

Helimedic
Just on that note it would be interesting to know as to whether SJA vollies and other private providers have there staff do the 2 week driver training program as career ambos have to?
I did a 5 day fulltime driving course in vic for emerg ambo driving, done by an ex traffic cop was quite interesting that we got taught in sedans for 4 days n then the last day in an ambo.
RIP
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

4353 wrote:... we got taught in sedans for 4 days n then the last day in an ambo.
How'd the ambo handle compared to the sedans, I bet that was a bit of a difference! :)
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by 4353 »

I have to say being taught by an ex police pursuit driver was "different" they have changed the course now so your in the ambo the full 5 days and not just the last lol unfortunatley some people in my class tried to drive the ambo like a car
RIP
SJANT
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by SJANT »

Career and volunteer staff here in the NT complete the exact same program. 2 weeks of driving theory and practice then a supervised driving period till they complete driving hour logs and skills logs. After that they can drive 'code 1's' unsupervised.
Robb

Post by Robb »

In Tasmania it is not legal for SJA to use light and sirens, they are only first aid and have to call the government TAS (Tasmanian Ambulance Service) to assist. The SJA have used light and sirens however in the past as it has been a life threatening condition and may take too long for an ambulance to arrive, and also SJA staff are used to man the TAS ambulances in regional areas.
Happy scanning,

Robb Wise,
Scanning Tasmania
www.scanningtasmania.org
Uniden UBC9000XLT & UBCD 996 & 396T. Icom RX7. SW: Sangean ATS 505 & 909
nra555
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by nra555 »

Robb wrote:In Tasmania it is not legal for SJA to use light and sirens, they are only first aid and have to call the government TAS (Tasmanian Ambulance Service) to assist. The SJA have used light and sirens however in the past as it has been a life threatening condition and may take too long for an ambulance to arrive, and also SJA staff are used to man the TAS ambulances in regional areas.
As Im sure your aware. In W.A. SJA is the primary medical respose agency, hence the L/S.
PRC-555
NRA-555

nra.org.au - join today to make UHF CB a more enjoyable band to use!
canon
Banned

Post by canon »

nra555 wrote:
Robb wrote:In Tasmania it is not legal for SJA to use light and sirens, they are only first aid and have to call the government TAS (Tasmanian Ambulance Service) to assist. The SJA have used light and sirens however in the past as it has been a life threatening condition and may take too long for an ambulance to arrive, and also SJA staff are used to man the TAS ambulances in regional areas.
As Im sure your aware. In W.A. SJA is the primary medical respose agency, hence the L/S.
in WA it seems to be a free for all. It is what it is. Many agencies appear to have them ( pre- hospital ) and use them at will lol.
truth is stranger than fiction. Its better to tell the truth and accept your destiny than to BS your way through and have a lonely life.
Paraman

Post by Paraman »

I know a vollie who has driven priority one with no training, apart from 'Hospital is that way!'

As for priority one guidelines, all windows have to be closed because if the vehicle is involved i na rollover, half open windows have a nasty habit of resembling guillotines for your skull.
SJANT
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by SJANT »

Can testify to seeing some of the bad effects of not wearing and seat belt with the window open and the splatters on the pavement. Been to an crash where ive seen that. Windows are also up for noise levels in the cabin with the siren on I believe. So it doesnt get too high and breach OHS regs.
Infernal
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBC60XLT

Post by Infernal »

SJANT wrote:Can testify to seeing some of the bad effects of not wearing and seat belt with the window open and the splatters on the pavement. Been to an crash where ive seen that. Windows are also up for noise levels in the cabin with the siren on I believe. So it doesnt get too high and breach OHS regs.

Its not actually that loud, I had my partner wind down the window when i was driving on P1 as we over took another ambulance, so he could give them a big wave, wasn't as loud as i thought it would be, the horns/ sirens are in the grill of the vehicle much further away than the old fords above the doors
canon
Banned

Post by canon »

AO11912 wrote:
SJANT wrote:Can testify to seeing some of the bad effects of not wearing and seat belt with the window open and the splatters on the pavement. Been to an crash where ive seen that. Windows are also up for noise levels in the cabin with the siren on I believe. So it doesnt get too high and breach OHS regs.

Its not actually that loud, I had my partner wind down the window when i was driving on P1 as we over took another ambulance, so he could give them a big wave, wasn't as loud as i thought it would be, the horns/ sirens are in the grill of the vehicle much further away than the old fords above the doors
i would have thought that two sets of eyes on the road wherever practicable would be best practice lol.
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

canon wrote:i would have thought that two sets of eyes on the road wherever practicable would be best practice lol.
Clearly then you thought wrong.
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.