Midwest Region Rescue Chopper

St John Ambulance (6DS), AMS, RFDS etc. Frequencies, callsigns and discussion.

Moderator: Infernal

ZO100_marto
150+ posts
150+ posts

Midwest Region Rescue Chopper

Post by ZO100_marto »

Usual red tape and bull sh@t politics but looks like there's a new chopper in WA for medical rescues. Its definately been given the all clear to be used with anything to do with the cyclones around at the moment (mainly medical jobs in flooded areas) as thats funded by the Fed gov. Unfortunately everyday stuff is still being slogged out with the bean counters at FESA and gov agencies.

Certainly makes rescue 1 look like a baby :o

Sorry bout the pic quality (was taken on my phone) :oops:

marto

Bart

Wedge accident

Post by Bart »

I spent the long weekend just gone up at Wedge and on Sunday nigh that same helicopter flew in around 7.30pm flew out half and hour later then returned around 10pm. As we left early the next morning we didn't get to hear what had happened so I was just wondering if anyone on here had heared anything about it?
Irish

chopper retrieval

Post by Irish »

The retrieval from Wedge was Rescue 65 flying back to back missions to airlift four Pts from two recreational rider accidents.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Thanks Irish
Always RX

Post by Always RX »

Is that a sea king?
Steve
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Steve »

That looks to me like a Sikorsky S-62. Looks a lot like a Sea King, especially at the front, but the Sea King is a longer version of this aircraft. The Sea King also has two engines, the S-62 has one. You'll probably find there is not one single mechanical part common to both aircraft.

The S-62 was used in large numbers by the US Coast Guard, with the designation HH-52 Sea Guardian.

It's getting on in years, too: the design is pre-1960.
ZO100_marto
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by ZO100_marto »

Steve wrote:That looks to me like a Sikorsky S-62. Looks a lot like a Sea King, especially at the front, but the Sea King is a longer version of this aircraft. The Sea King also has two engines, the S-62 has one. You'll probably find there is not one single mechanical part common to both aircraft.

The S-62 was used in large numbers by the US Coast Guard, with the designation HH-52 Sea Guardian.

It's getting on in years, too: the design is pre-1960.
Yep thats what she is :P Got to check it out in its hanger at the Gero Airport before I headed back to Perth, looks the the owner has spent a real packet on it. Looks in ship shape with bucket loads of big expense parts :shock: (although was told the motor and stuff has been rebuilt etc so is like new)

Last I heard the "red tape" was getting thicker by FESA :evil: there's a surprise.

marto
Steve
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Steve »

FESA may well be baulking at the cost per hour of having this helicopter in the air. Nothing about it looks cheap!
ZO100_marto
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by ZO100_marto »

Steve wrote:FESA may well be baulking at the cost per hour of having this helicopter in the air. Nothing about it looks cheap!
The cost of running "rescue 65" is 4 mill per year, this bloke is asking for about 120,000 to be available 24/7 for medical jobs :!: he continues his local work and contracts but will "drop what ever he's doing" if a job was to come up.

Not sure the companies full name who has the contract for FESA "canadian something.." but rumour is all contracts seem to go to them, R65, heletankers, etc. Good mates with the big wigs is the word :wink:

ONLY RUMOURS REMEMBER....

marto :D
Steve
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Steve »

I think you'll find the Rescue 65, helitac and bushfire air recce contracts are issued to three different helicopter companies (CHC, Helicopters Australia, Heli West).
ZO100_marto
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by ZO100_marto »

I'm happy tp stand corrected :D