St John Ambulance

St John Ambulance (6DS), AMS, RFDS etc. Frequencies, callsigns and discussion.

Moderator: Infernal

Markmywords

Post by Markmywords »

Unfortunatley the SJA freq isnt interesting to listen to anymore but when i have listed to it i have noticed that any confirmed cpr in progress call they are always sending a backup crew on a P1 and also operators are reluctant to give any job out over the air when the units are down and always call them with the job. Just wondering if any of the sja guys know why they do this now instead of giving it over the air like they use to.
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

Markmywords wrote:Unfortunatley the SJA freq isnt interesting to listen to anymore but when i have listed to it i have noticed that any confirmed cpr in progress call they are always sending a backup crew on a P1 and also operators are reluctant to give any job out over the air when the units are down and always call them with the job. Just wondering if any of the sja guys know why they do this now instead of giving it over the air like they use to.
At a guess, to stop people like us listening into potentially sensitive details!
Bobby
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Bobby »

Yeah thats my guess too.

I am guessing you are getting at when they did go down, and they would give the jobs out over the radio. I have only heard this happen a few times over the past few years. That makes for interesting listening, but as you say, they dont do it very often these days. I guess thats what it will be like when the police change over too. :(
Ambul8
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Ambul8 »

cause the radio op is too busy to give out details most of the time and they just simply yell out "can anyone call so and so weityh their details" and a free person does it.

There is a few centres where details were failing heaps so there was toio much to raed out,

well at least that is wat i was told by a comms person when I had lunch with em this weekend lol
Ambul8 - if u break urself i'll fix u! Maybe...
ImageImage
bomber
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by bomber »

Last edited by bomber on Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bomber
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by bomber »

bomber
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by bomber »

Markmywords

Post by Markmywords »

Thats huge all they need now is to run 5 crews a day from it :P Must have cost them a fortune well *cough* cost the lotteries commision/funidng.grants a fortune.

Im really surprised how busy it is down that area compared to area areas and looking at that little map seems to be the biggest concentration of crews kwinana,rockingahm and secret harbour all within a throiw off each other, i guess its to keep the alas people at bay, which i found out are also W.A medical transport and extreme sport first aid services or something.
ST_DOC

Post by ST_DOC »

Markmywords......

Quick question why do you always refer to ALAS and private ambulances when refering to St John? I dunno but i thought that would be better in the ALAS thread? Do you have some association with them?

Whats the go with the extreme sport and wa med transport?
What it will probly be is like SJA as in SJA is WA ambulance service.
Maybe WA Med Transport owns ALAS then ALAS owns Extreme sport?

You must have your ear to the ground as you seem to hear quite a bit of info about them.........

BTW luv the SJA new depo i would die for a pump house like that!
Will the vollie first aid guys be in there too?

Chheeeerrrsss MATEEEEEEE...
Markmywords

Post by Markmywords »

Dear St Doc

I can say i DEFINATLEY have NO association with ALAS no offence to the ALAS people on here

Its not what you know its who you know ;)

There is not much that i dont miss what goes on around the traps.

I was just comparing the pear so to speak.

Why who do YOU have an association with ?
ST_DOC

Post by ST_DOC »

Markmywords

Thanks for some clarification........I was just wondering cos you seem to always have an inside ear on things.
I dont have any association with ambulances in this great state. As said in another post ex us critical care EmtP (Flight) then trained as a fire fighter but working in a dual capacity. I miss the runs and i wouldnt mind getting back in the saddle. I work for FESA now and i quite enjoy it. If there was any part time position for paramedics within WA i would probly go and do some work. So im confined with going bk home to keep requalifying and working on US rigs.

I wouldnt mind seeing a two tear system within FESA when WA grows a bit bigger.

Thanks again
bomber
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by bomber »

Last edited by bomber on Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ST_DOC

Post by ST_DOC »

Yeah i might pop down and have a squizz see what i think. I saw their xr8 at the V8s its a sweet machine if you let me drive that its a deal! :lol:
Markmywords

Post by Markmywords »

On the other side of the coin, i had first hand experince at watching today

What happened prior to the ambulance turning up.

* Minding my own businss my back to the road talking to a mate heard a screetch of brakes heard a bang turn my head and see someone hit the road, so i go over and make sure there alright, this was seen by rail guards and police who came over n called SJA, so went doing through the motions with the help of a rail guard. Patient is alert and semi conscious and in quite a bit of pain.

Crew turned up a guy driving female attending both walk over (empty handed no equipment) girl introduces herself i get up give her a handover she said thanks so i get up and stand back and let them go to it.

Guy goes and gets the stretcher and a collar, girl asks some questions pays alot of attention to the cervical area touching n feeling no other areas checked. After alot of talking they put a Collar on use the scoop strectcher onto the ferno into the ambulance lights and sirens on off they go pretty much straight away.

I was quite puzzled and wonder if SJA have changed there protocols in the way you approach and treat a patient because there were No obs no oxygen no pain relief no secondary or cns survey at the scene. Pretty much a swoop and scoop which i think wasnt done anymore.

So just curious in regards to a ambulance officer making mistakes on a one off or regular basis are they counselled or demoted to a student level if they fall slack in there skill level ?
Markmywords

Post by Markmywords »

Quite interesting watching the news footage of the rescue of rottnest tonight anyone know what training they get on rescue 1, the couple of times he fell over i thought they wouldve edited that out.