St John Ambulance

St John Ambulance (6DS), AMS, RFDS etc. Frequencies, callsigns and discussion.

Moderator: Infernal

Amb510

Re: St John Ambulance

Post by Amb510 »

Hey quick question and it sounds stupid but:

Can the sja paramedics do full intubation now ?

I just read somewhere that they dont and was under the impression that they could.
ambo89

Post by ambo89 »

On-road Paramedics can only intubate patients who have no gag reflex. ie Patients who have arrested or massive head injuries and so forth.
Critical care paramedics (those working of R65) can perform rapid sequence intubation whereby they are able to anesthetise patients given there wider scope of clinical practice guidelines and given the appropriate drugs (propofol, suxamethonium etc) they carry. The chopper also carriers the appropriate equipment (ie ventilators and syringe drivers) to enable someone to safely remained intubated. On road ambulances simply dont have this equipment.
Hope this helps!
Amb510

Post by Amb510 »

Cheers thanks for clearing that up !!!!

Just wondering why they dont use the critical care paramedics on the road as (MICA) paramedics as such when there doing a metro rotation seems a waste off skills thats all.

Im taking a while guess they rotate back into metro now and then

I see SJA are getting a ETT in NSW to build them a Bariatric Ambulance
Leigh
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Leigh »

Was listening to SJA for the first time in a few years the other night and heard a couple of instances when an ambulance was backed up on a priority 1 for a resusitation. Does anyone know how long ago this was introduced?
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

Leigh wrote:Was listening to SJA for the first time in a few years the other night and heard a couple of instances when an ambulance was backed up on a priority 1 for a resusitation. Does anyone know how long ago this was introduced?

It's been happening for as long as I can remember. It's not unusual to hear this.

I participated in a ressus at the Perth Motorplex last November - and had 2 crews respond both on a P1. However, due to the nature of the patient he didn't make it.

G
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

"I am not one who was born in the possession of knowledge. I am one who is fond of antiquity, and earnest in seeking it there." — Confucius

Any views expressed in the above post are my own and do not necessarily depict or reflect the views or opinions of DFES/FRS or VBFB.
SJANT
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by SJANT »

Over here it's quite usual to have a back up crew go on a priority 1 to a resus. Gets more hands there quickly to carry equipment, help with patient extrication etc.

G i think you might find that resus was Nov 2007 unless you've had another one since I've been gone. (PS to anyone who will say how will I know it was 2007 funnily enough I happened to be the other person on the responding crew with G that evening).
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

SJANT wrote:Over here it's quite usual to have a back up crew go on a priority 1 to a resus. Gets more hands there quickly to carry equipment, help with patient extrication etc.

G i think you might find that resus was Nov 2007 unless you've had another one since I've been gone. (PS to anyone who will say how will I know it was 2007 funnily enough I happened to be the other person on the responding crew with G that evening).

Your very right - sorry mate I was meaning 2007...

G
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

"I am not one who was born in the possession of knowledge. I am one who is fond of antiquity, and earnest in seeking it there." — Confucius

Any views expressed in the above post are my own and do not necessarily depict or reflect the views or opinions of DFES/FRS or VBFB.
PFO
Banned

Post by PFO »

Amb510 wrote:Cheers thanks for clearing that up !!!!

Just wondering why they dont use the critical care paramedics on the road as (MICA) paramedics as such when there doing a metro rotation seems a waste off skills thats all.

Im taking a while guess they rotate back into metro now and then

I see SJA are getting a ETT in NSW to build them a Bariatric Ambulance
SJA do rotate their chopper medics back on road but unfortunately as you have indicated they cannot utilise thier skills and are on reduced pay during their on road stint. I personally know of a few chopper ICP who have buggered off over east as a result of this . :). And good day to you all, good to be back lol
gcs of 3
Amb510

Post by Amb510 »

Well i guess were lucky in W.A to a point i was talking to a friend who works for a EMS provider in the states an ambulance trip with no insurance coverage will cost you about $1000 US and a trip in an EMS Helicopter will cost you $17,000 US and thats just for a local pickup and drop off.

Do patients that get picked up by rescue1 get billed at all ?
Infernal
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBC60XLT

Post by Infernal »

Amb510 wrote:Well i guess were lucky in W.A to a point i was talking to a friend who works for a EMS provider in the states an ambulance trip with no insurance coverage will cost you about $1000 US and a trip in an EMS Helicopter will cost you $17,000 US and thats just for a local pickup and drop off.

A Friend of mine that went to the US said, usually about 5 different ambulances rock up to your house from different companys, first question asked is, have you got insurance, if the answer is no, generally most of them will turn away
PFO
Banned

Post by PFO »

AO11912 wrote:
Amb510 wrote:Well i guess were lucky in W.A to a point i was talking to a friend who works for a EMS provider in the states an ambulance trip with no insurance coverage will cost you about $1000 US and a trip in an EMS Helicopter will cost you $17,000 US and thats just for a local pickup and drop off.

A Friend of mine that went to the US said, usually about 5 different ambulances rock up to your house from different companys, first question asked is, have you got insurance, if the answer is no, generally most of them will turn away
If 5 ambulances turn up and the patient is unconscious then who gets the job? or is it first dressed best served situation. I think if it was a P1 situation you may find that they are transferred anyhow and that these rules and regs would vary from state to state. :D
gcs of 3
robbage
Amateur callsign: VK6UFO_VK6RN
Scanners and Receivers:  
Scanners/receivers
Diamond Welz WS1000 wideband handheld
Radioshack Pro 28 handheld
Uniden UBC72XLT handheld
Uniden UBC73XLT handheld
Uniden UBC330CRS desktop

Two-way
Yaesu VX-3R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wideband RX handheld
Yaesu FT-1802M 2m Ham TRX mobile x 2
Yaesu FT-7800R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-208H 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-706MKIIG all-band all-mode Ham TRX mobile
Icom IC-V85 2m VHF Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-UVD1P VHF/UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-679P VHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-713 UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld

Post by robbage »

You guys really should rent the 'Mother Jug & Speed' DVD
Rob
OF78WD
 Amateur moderator
Arguing with a fool proves there are two
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

Approx 12:45 - SJA team leader flew up Orrong Rd and FESA - Belmont Firecall - Unsure further details...

G
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

observer
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by observer »

gkoutlis wrote:Approx 12:45 - SJA team leader flew up Orrong Rd and FESA - Belmont Firecall - Unsure further details...

G
Belmont and Welshpool FRS responded to a 2nd alarm TA around that time. No FESA vehicles there though. So the FESA vehicle may have been heading somewhere else.
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

observer wrote:
gkoutlis wrote:Approx 12:45 - SJA team leader flew up Orrong Rd and FESA - Belmont Firecall - Unsure further details...

G
Belmont and Welshpool FRS responded to a 2nd alarm TA around that time. No FESA vehicles there though. So the FESA vehicle may have been heading somewhere else.
Thanks mate - Pretty sure SJA team leader was off at this TA - as saw him on P1 with lights and sirens... Anyways - many thanks for letting me know... :)

G
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member