St John Ambulance

St John Ambulance (6DS), AMS, RFDS etc. Frequencies, callsigns and discussion.

Moderator: Infernal

search.again

Re: St John Ambulance

Post by search.again »

Year I noticed that aswell it appeared to be driving with HAZARD lights on. I'm thinking their wasn't enough ambulances to go around for that day.
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

search.again wrote:Year I noticed that aswell it appeared to be driving with HAZARD lights on. I'm thinking their wasn't enough ambulances to go around for that day.
When you think of the logistics of pulling that many ambulances into the one place at the same time, I'm not surprised they used the patient transfer vehicles as well... I think at that point, they'd have been happy to use anything on wheels just about ;)
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

As long as it's not a hearse.... :lol:
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by 4353 »

Zebedee wrote:
search.again wrote:Year I noticed that aswell it appeared to be driving with HAZARD lights on. I'm thinking their wasn't enough ambulances to go around for that day.
When you think of the logistics of pulling that many ambulances into the one place at the same time, I'm not surprised they used the patient transfer vehicles as well... I think at that point, they'd have been happy to use anything on wheels just about ;)
I did the quick math too how many patients potentially time critical then up against how many vans in the metro area on a usualy day shift and didnt look good, im guessing that some were either walker patients or maybe double loaded.

SJA pulled it off pretty good so kudos to them for that i mean worse coming to worse they couldve used maybe army.raaf ambos like i saw on a snippet off news up in darwin.
RIP
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zebedee »

4353 wrote:i mean worse coming to worse they couldve used maybe army.raaf ambos like i saw on a snippet off news up in darwin.
Hmmm - I never thought of that!

Wouldn't surprise me if some contingency was in place for other ambulances, whether it be from private companies or the military or whatever to be on standby in case something else happened while this big convoy was tied up. I'm sure they would have given that some consideration at least, even if nothing was set in concrete.

It is very dark.
SJANT
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by SJANT »

SJA Darwin handled the emergency with ease. Just called in crews on overtime and all our vehicles if you look closely are double stretcher vehicles. With no patient transfer service up here it was all ambulances that went. On the PTV side of things most of the time when things like this happen people have already been stabilised so they don't need to have a code/priority 1 drive in. If you watch the news you see some are just walkers and don't need to be stretchered so they can easily go in a PTV. With the time it takes to get the Herc equipped and ready to go plus flight time SJA would have had plenty of time and know the exact landing time of the Herc. So they have plenty of time to call people in and allocate appropriate resources.
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

Just heard and caught a glimpse of an ambulance on P0. Yes I know that doesn't exist but the driver was giving it his all, 3 Phaser/Hyper Yelps going through the Reid Hwy Morrison Road intersection, another couple for Lord St and Morrison Road then I saw it as it went through a Red light turning off Morrison road onto Great Northern Hwy. The Hyper Yelp/Phaser evidently seems to be heard and moves cars because that driver was using it big time.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

There really is no such thing as a Priority zero, I am sure :P - Although he is on a P1 - it could have been a life threatning emergency with either Patient on board, or responding to one.

G
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

"I am not one who was born in the possession of knowledge. I am one who is fond of antiquity, and earnest in seeking it there." — Confucius

Any views expressed in the above post are my own and do not necessarily depict or reflect the views or opinions of DFES/FRS or VBFB.
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zebedee »

I thought the technical term was "Warp factor nine, Mister Sulu" :)

It is very dark.
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

gkoutlis wrote:There really is no such thing as a Priority zero, I am sure :P - Although he is on a P1 - it could have been a life threatning emergency with either Patient on board, or responding to one.

G
Yep he had a casualty on board, he was headed to Swan Districts hospital...unless he'd been assigned a P1 transfer but I doubt it.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by 4353 »

Zebedee wrote:I thought the technical term was "Warp factor nine, Mister Sulu" :)
Took the words right outta my mouth lol

I have noticed crews on P1 to hospitals with patients on board usually turn the siren off iff sitting in heavy traffic n waiting for lights to change green the hay street interesection near PMH is usually chokkers during peak hour. Ive also noticed that crews dont jump the kerbs anymore going to jobs im assuming its due to the sprinters not being as high as the f series n gms ambos
RIP
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

4353 wrote:
Zebedee wrote:I thought the technical term was "Warp factor nine, Mister Sulu" :)

I have noticed crews on P1 to hospitals with patients on board usually turn the siren off iff sitting in heavy traffic n waiting for lights to change green the hay street interesection near PMH is usually chokkers during peak hour. Ive also noticed that crews dont jump the kerbs anymore going to jobs im assuming its due to the sprinters not being as high as the f series n gms ambos
The old ones not so well, but I'm sure the new ones are better equiped... if the SV6 pursuit cars can mount high pavements see no reason why the ambulance can't unless a patient on board
I've closed the door!
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

4353 wrote:

I was actually told, they don't tend to do it as much anymore as it is dangerous, height for the Mercs isn't really a problem if they take the curb on an angle.

They do it frequently on St.Georges Tce to get through Traffic at William Street. But some as you say, switch sirens off, and wait for a Green light, which is when you see all cars in front give way.

G
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

"I am not one who was born in the possession of knowledge. I am one who is fond of antiquity, and earnest in seeking it there." — Confucius

Any views expressed in the above post are my own and do not necessarily depict or reflect the views or opinions of DFES/FRS or VBFB.
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

gkoutlis wrote:
4353 wrote:

I was actually told, they don't tend to do it as much anymore as it is dangerous, height for the Mercs isn't really a problem if they take the curb on an angle.

They do it frequently on St.Georges Tce to get through Traffic at William Street. But some as you say, switch sirens off, and wait for a Green light, which is when you see all cars in front give way.

G
I've actually seen them doing it a few times in the old mercs, one must have been in a real hurry mouting the curb at such as speed it bounced three or four times on the wrong side of the road, causing sparks to fly everywhere
I've closed the door!
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

written_ficton wrote: I've actually seen them doing it a few times in the old mercs, one must have been in a real hurry mouting the curb at such as speed it bounced three or four times on the wrong side of the road, causing sparks to fly everywhere
That's abit over exagerated there, I doubt it very much that they'd be driving like that.

G
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member