St John Ambulance

St John Ambulance (6DS), AMS, RFDS etc. Frequencies, callsigns and discussion.

Moderator: Infernal

PFO
Banned

Post by PFO »

[quote="Ambul8"][quote="PFO"]quote]So your telling me that when you work on a minesite, your giving
schedule 4 and 8 drugs off your own back without contact with your medical diretor? whom ever that may be lol. You will be in a world of hurt if that is the case lol. Interesting that you didnt mention that methoxy is not indicated for use with people exposed to H.F because the flouride ions
can excaserbate the process of tissue degredation. Recent studies also show that Tolulene which is a product that is used in glues that also is in methoxy may have carcinogetic properties.Perhaps you should not base your studies on the monthly mimms you m ay get onsite lol :smt040 :smt064[/quote]

The CPG's we have are written by our Medical Director and are his authority to admister these medications in a given circumstance. This is his authority. Of course each administration is documented to comply with the Poisions Permit. Kind of useless being on hold for a Dr when ur Pt is in Asthma Extremis. "umm Doc, I got a Pt in extremis, may I administer 0.5mg 1/1000 adrenaline IMI??? oh neva mind, shes dead now!"

Re MFX, I did not mention any other therories that may exist on the med as my answer was in relation to the the circumstances surrounding the push to remove MFX from ambulances.

I am aware of the questions as to whether MFX is a carcinogen. Did you have a link to a study, that proves the carginogenic properties - I would be interested in a look. While I have had good success with MFX, I often wonder if it is doing anything to me/us in the long term - in my experince things that smell bad usually are...

We dont get the monthly MIMS - we use eMIMS :P Do people still use the monthly paper copy. wow! paper.....what a novel concept.[/quote] adrenaline isnt sch 4 or 8 and yes u are right in that those circumstances are fine and your working off standing protocols, if you abide by the act, technically in a court of law a prescription must be provided by a doc, which we both know just doesnt happen, but anyhow makes for good discussion. I think you actually missed the point i was getting at.Hey does DR SHA still work up in Port Hedland?, there was also a dr Jane was her first name and an Irish lassie too
gcs of 3
Ambul8
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Ambul8 »

dunno mate, dont do Port Hedland. Tis a place i avoid like lifting a sweaty bariatric
Ambul8 - if u break urself i'll fix u! Maybe...
ImageImage
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Let's try to keep the quoting of large quotes to a minimum ok? :smt119
Markmywords

Post by Markmywords »

Another SJA storey.

http://collie.yourguide.com.au/articles ... topstories

*Read the note at the bottom SJA suspended the vollie while she was doing the storey, well at least we know the storey wouldnt be biased*

I wonder if she was given the flick.
musketeer

Collie suspension

Post by musketeer »

Reassuring to know that St are keeping to past practices. They too have a forum but express an opinion on it and discipline follows
PFO
Banned

Re: Collie suspension

Post by PFO »

[quote="musketeer"]Reassuring to know that St are keeping to past practices. They too have a forum but express an opinion on it and discipline follows[/quote] i guess at the end of the day opinions are important and i think its a shame what happened to her for voicing the truth. Maybe if there were more like her things may change for the better and the WA government would prick their ears up and listen
gcs of 3
Markmywords

Post by Markmywords »

SJA get millions off dollars from the Government/Lotteries Commision to run the service so by no means are they broke.

Its obvious that this vollie knew what was going on and wanted it to be known by the public so kudos to her. SJA dont like people speaking out against them the guys on the road in the city/country do a fantastic job with what there allocated with but still have a management who are operating back in the 1900's.
trekker

Collie Mail article

Post by trekker »

It appears that once again The Saint is being blamed for problems in our health system.

When a patient is transfered from a secondary hospital, such as Swan District, Peel Health Campus, etc, the ambulance transport is paid for by the hospital that transfers the patient. Part of the reasoning for this is if the hospital that the patient goes to first cannot provide the appropriate service, and needs to send that patient to a tertiary hospital (RPH, SCGH, Freo), and it is unsafe/inappropriate for them to be sent by private/public transport, then that is the transferring hospital's problem and they should pay!

Getting a bed at any tertiary hospital is difficult at the best of times, and it can takes days before hospitals such as RPH are willing to accept patients from 'outlying' hospitals, as they are already under medical care - but obviously the priority at which the requests are processed are based on the information that is given by the staff at the transferring hospital.

I agree with the St John statement in the article that said "the first step was to establish the clinical coordination of patients within the health system to determine the appropriate need and means of transport and timing", as it is currently a complete farce.

If you look at Swan District ED, they are supposed to transfer patients to SCGH as they are both part of the NMAHS, but they continue to send patients to RPH (which is now in the SMAHS). RPH now will only accept patients from Swan District on certain days of the week. The problem is that if the staff at the secondary hospital aren't satisfied with the decisions of the tertiary hospital, then they just call an ambulance and get the patient taken to the tertiary hospitals ED......

WA's health system is far from perfect, but given the current problems in NSW and Queensland in partuclar, I am glad that I live in WA!
munchkin1981
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by munchkin1981 »

trekker has a point
It wasn't me honest.....it was the cat I'm sweet and innocent one :)
PFO
Banned

Post by PFO »

[quote="munchkin1981"]trekker has a point[/quote]yes definately has a valid
point, but there are also circumstances in which there is a bed waiting at the recieving hospital and the patient has waited hours and in some cases days
before being transported. one example was a suicidal pt who waited over 7 hours before alas were called to transport. Yes they were safe in a hospital but still not realy good enough. Another case is where a country patient had to wait for three days before alas were finally called. Yes again they were safe in the hospital and were simply waiting to be transferred up to a metro hospital to have an angio done. Why the delay? and waste a good bed.The answer was simple.Hospital politics. the rigmoral in arranging for alas to take this particular patient was extraordinary which should never be the case. Patient was not happy being stuck in a hospital for 3 extra days when there was not need for it thus increase in stress, not good patient care. Dont get me wrong, im not advocating alas or sja over eachother, its just the system that can suck sometimes to the detriment of the patient. Alas over the years have had quite a few paramedics ( good ones ) pass through its doors and yes unfortunately some cowboys too as does any business, but so long as there is a clear line of communication
in which the sending hospital is aware of the quals of the attending crew, and this applies to sja as well, there shouldnt be any problems.
gcs of 3
Markmywords

Post by Markmywords »

PFO Well said.
PFO
Banned

ambulance

Post by PFO »

anyone read saturdays west and see the article on paramedics calling for the government to take over the running of ambulance services in WA? i wonder if these paramedics have made themselves known and if sja will suspend them as they did the poor las from collie?
gcs of 3
Markmywords

Post by Markmywords »

Yer about ***ing time all this money and where does it go ?

Howpfully the union can push SJA off the high horse AND in saying that make sure that NONE of SJA Management are given jobs with the Health Department controlling the ambulance portfolio.

SJA should be first aid training and first aid services.

The government should take over the emergency service and tender out non emergency work to private providers (There are at least 3 private companies from over east waiting to make a move with 2 setting up in july this year in perth)

Tick Tock Tick Tock SJA'S time clock is up
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

Markmywords wrote:Yer about ***ing time all this money and where does it go ?

Howpfully the union can push SJA off the high horse AND in saying that make sure that NONE of SJA Management are given jobs with the Health Department controlling the ambulance portfolio.

SJA should be first aid training and first aid services.

The government should take over the emergency service and tender out non emergency work to private providers (There are at least 3 private companies from over east waiting to make a move with 2 setting up in july this year in perth)

Tick Tock Tick Tock SJA'S time clock is up
Why???
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

"I am not one who was born in the possession of knowledge. I am one who is fond of antiquity, and earnest in seeking it there." — Confucius

Any views expressed in the above post are my own and do not necessarily depict or reflect the views or opinions of DFES/FRS or VBFB.
Markmywords

Post by Markmywords »

Why is a good question :)

Those that have been around for a while will know management at SJA just bleed the government dry and do things too little too late. The service would run well alot smoother under government control and even at best leave country centres run by sja and cut the funding to suit.

The unions idea is a good one but with Mcginty at the helm wont happen, every state government at some stage has said to St Johns thanks but were taking control off emergency services and the only 2 left are well w.a and s.a

http://emergency.activeboard.com/forum.spark