AMS discussion page

St John Ambulance (6DS), AMS, RFDS etc. Frequencies, callsigns and discussion.

Moderator: Infernal

SJANT
150+ posts
150+ posts

Re: AMS discussion page

Post by SJANT »

Hate to be the one to spoil the party but there is no such thing as a paramedic in the army. There are Medical Assistants (whom have completed medical assist or advanced med assist), combat first aiders, patrol medics plus Drs, Nurses. If your mate is in the Pilbara Regiment which is an Army Reserve Regional Force Surveillance Unit then he'll probably be a patrol medic or medical assistant. Just a small point of info and I know all of this as i'm a member of the army reserve up here in addition to being an ambo up here so we get to interact with the ADF quite often.

There are ADF ambulances about so he may have worked on those but they tend not to do so much.

BTW i'm not doubting his experience or quaifications as I know the army trains you quite well just a bit of a title correction as many paramedics hate people who aren't paras calling themselves so.
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

Sorry medic was the word I was looking for not paramedic, you're quite right.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
Amb510

Post by Amb510 »

Spotted the sister company hostile1 LT fire truck under firecall conditions heading north bound on the fremantle bypass with ams ambo following under priority 1 anyone know what they were going too ??
PFO
Banned

Post by PFO »

Amb510 wrote:Spotted the sister company hostile1 LT fire truck under firecall conditions heading north bound on the fremantle bypass with ams ambo following under priority 1 anyone know what they were going too ??
Maccas lol ( just kidding) :mrgreen:
gcs of 3
PFO
Banned

Post by PFO »

anyone hear about ams/alas losing RFDS today?
gcs of 3
Amb510

Post by Amb510 »

Didnt know they had it in the first place.......

I know they are at some car events this weekend out in the country.
helimedic
Amateur callsign: VK6EMS

Post by helimedic »

Hostile Medical Services haven't been servicing RFDS for quite a while and there is no formal contract with them and RFDS anyway.

The Country Health Service apparently expect SJA to service this contract as the bulk of the patients transported by RFDS do not have any health insurance.

Helimedic
PFO
Banned

Post by PFO »

helimedic wrote:Hostile Medical Services haven't been servicing RFDS for quite a while and there is no formal contract with them and RFDS anyway.

The Country Health Service apparently expect SJA to service this contract as the bulk of the patients transported by RFDS do not have any health insurance.

Helimedic
I would envisage that only the northern aboriginal communities ie Balgo would be the only patients that a private provider would be unable to do as sending hospital, Mvit,Dva etc would cover much of the RFDS work and also private for those that have it.
gcs of 3
helimedic
Amateur callsign: VK6EMS

Post by helimedic »

There certainly are patients that a private service could transport from RFDS.

Which private service will find it financially viable to offer this service at the cut prices currently offered by SJA in order to ensure they are the only RFDS service provider?

Helimedic
PFO
Banned

Post by PFO »

I think you have digressed from the original conversation. merely responding to the original statement. to answer the question in which you have segued to is a different kettle of fish. It has been done before quite successfully during the late PD era. However in saying that, currently there are no providers in WA that currently fulfill the RFDS contract in its entirety hence the use of smaller private providers to assist. I think due to a progression of conflict of interests would be the crux behind AMS/Hostile no longer doing this work if infact that is the case which would be a smart and ethical move by SJA and the HD.

It wouldnt be out of the question though that another provider if legit and also being a not for profit organization may approach and offer services at some stage , if they havent already. 8)
gcs of 3
Amb510

Post by Amb510 »

PFO: Your are quite correct that due to certain movements in a certain department private providers are canned from RFDS due to more than conflict off interest in saying that it was with interest that the W.A Health Dept states that RFDS are the ones to organise transport from suitable providers as long as they meet the current price & standards as SJA.

Helimedic: I agree no one can do a transfer for less than $130 a patient and stay afloat unless ur using another source to top it up ^^

The Health Dept are currently reviewing legislation to see if tenders will go out for ALL patient transfer work but again when competiting against SJA private providers will only ever get a small piece of pie and you will see that one requirement will be your service must be not for profit ;D
Amb510

Post by Amb510 »

I wonder what AMS will do if a leaked recommendation to introduce an ambulance act goes ahead ^^
PFO
Banned

Post by PFO »

Amb510 wrote:I wonder what AMS will do if a leaked recommendation to introduce an ambulance act goes ahead ^^
They will do whatever hostile tell them to :wink:
gcs of 3
PFO
Banned

Post by PFO »

Is it true that ALAS/AMS/Hostile have lost the barbagellos gig???? :wink:
gcs of 3
Fire Chief

Post by Fire Chief »

Yes they have.......
We used Medic One last race meeting and Saturdays race meet we are using another contractor...Then after Saturday the WASCC will decide who will get this years contract.Then we can do a training day with them prior to our V8 Round in April