PAUL and WARNER

St John Ambulance (6DS), AMS, RFDS etc. Frequencies, callsigns and discussion.

Moderator: Infernal

canon
Banned

PAUL and WARNER

Post by canon »

hi thought id start this topic up to see what the general consensus is regarding P&W ambulance set up for vehicles other than SJA.
truth is stranger than fiction. Its better to tell the truth and accept your destiny than to BS your way through and have a lonely life.
canon
Banned

Post by canon »

Also is there a standard for a minimum requirement for ambulance setup, ie
seating, structure etc.
truth is stranger than fiction. Its better to tell the truth and accept your destiny than to BS your way through and have a lonely life.
Smithy813

Post by Smithy813 »

canon wrote:Also is there a standard for a minimum requirement for ambulance setup, ie
seating, structure etc.
I think (note a presumption) you'll find that the guys at P&W design each new "mark" (eg Mk4 Fords, Mk5 Mercs or however they are classifying them now) with the clients who are buying them.
So the newest Mercs (both the ambulances and the patient transfer vehicles, yes I saw a new PTV at the SJA workshop on francisco st last wednesday before someone tries to say they don't exist yet) would have been a joint project with, most likely, SJA.

Obviously other clients looking to purchase a new Merc ambulance don't have to use the same fit out as the SJA "marks" if they want something changed.

As for minimum requirements...
...some minesites have a troop carrier with just a stretcher in it as an ambulance so i don't think there is a standard as such.
...as to what can be called an ambulance thats not decided by P&W or the client that decision lies with DPI (Dept Planning and Infrastructure) they have certain criterior (sp) that a vehicle must meet before it can be used as/badged as an ambulance.

If i'm wrong on any of that let me know, but I'm pretty sure thats on the money. Hope it helps. :)
Emergency Service Instructor
Quinns Rock BFF
canon
Banned

re

Post by canon »

thanks smithy813 i thought as much, but it makes no sense to me not having an airway seat in a vehicle ie troopies and ford ranger series with pod, i know room is a factor but hey should these vehicles be allowed to have red and blues if this is the case?. Ive also noticed the quality in workmanship in the vehicles that are made for non sja ambulances are subpar to the mercs for sja. ive even seen vehicles sent to the mines without any seating arrangements for the medic at all lol. what are your thoughts guys and gals ?
Smithy813

Post by Smithy813 »

Yeah Canon, i see where your coming from.

Playing devils adovcate here :wink: lol... whilst the airway seat is important for exactly that, airway management. I think that if we asked any of the full time ambos/paras out there the amount of time they use that seat, compared to sitting side on, would be very small?? So if space is a premium i guess thats the most logical way to save space.

As for the red and blues, being able to sit at the head end of a patient shouldn't have anything to do with it. I think (this is from memory) that an ambulance in the Road Traffic Act ...is a vehicle that is responding to a medical emergency. (if i can find my old ambo driving course notes i'll give you the acutal definition in the road traffic act, unless someone can beat me to it) :)

Thats why the SJA team leader Foresters and such can be badged and lit as an ambulance. Definately can't transport a pt in one of those.

As for the quality of non sja ambos, I've seen, been in and critiqued quite a few of P&W's non sja vehicles and I've been very impressed with the guys work overall. But hey the people who purchased these vehicles don't accept anything but the best workmanship anything less and it gets sent back.

I do however have to agree that some others i've seen on a site or two are just poor excuses, but that happens if you don't want to spend the right money on them i suppose.

Thanks for starting this post it's interesting one :)
Emergency Service Instructor
Quinns Rock BFF
canon
Banned

good point

Post by canon »

Nah its all good, i think lol, However the seat is there for a reason thus all sja anbulances have them. Speak to any Para with degree skills that can intubate and see what their answer is.
bomber
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Re: good point

Post by bomber »

Last edited by bomber on Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FireOps_Perth

Post by FireOps_Perth »

If anyone else can design a better Industrial Ambulance they're more than welcome to have a crack at it.

Speaking from experience, the Troop Carriers are the best option available when there is poor access to a patient. The next best option for access is the Mini-Module. To work out of, the Mini-Module beats the Troop Carrier hands down.

The thing people need to realise is that they are designed for a purpose, which is not as intensive care ambulances. They are designed to provide the best access to a remote patient as possible.

And obviously SJA agree, as they have recently purchased a number of the Troop Carriers for country-based "metro" depots.

The large module on the Landcruiser or Patrol is a great option, but it isn't exactly the most capable 4WD Ambulance available.
Paull & Warner
Strength in Reliability
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

Smithy813 wrote:As for the red and blues, being able to sit at the head end of a patient shouldn't have anything to do with it. I think (this is from memory) that an ambulance in the Road Traffic Act ...is a vehicle that is responding to a medical emergency. (if i can find my old ambo driving course notes i'll give you the acutal definition in the road traffic act, unless someone can beat me to it) :)

Thats why the SJA team leader Foresters and such can be badged and lit as an ambulance. Definately can't transport a pt in one of those.
Vehicles such as this can be defined differently under the Road Traffic Code, as it allows for 'approval' for a vehicle to be classed as an "Emergency Vehicle" regardless of what the vehicle is. This is how ppl such as Western Power, FESA Managers, Local Govt Rangers/Chiefs have lights and sirens.

From the Road Traffic Code 2000 r3(1) (definitions):
“emergency vehicleâ€