Ambulance services other than St John

St John Ambulance (6DS), AMS, RFDS etc. Frequencies, callsigns and discussion.

Moderator: Infernal

Kyle
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Kyle »

bomber wrote:
neann spine board as seen in this site.

http://www.neann.com/Spinal%20Equipment.htm

also beleive a short board and maybe head blocks. I know the heacy rescue has long and shorts as well as the blocks
NEANN are a good choice as well.. This is a very positive move especially for future spinal trauma patients

This concept is also quite clever http://www.eo.com.sg/Spinal.htm
O.O
I exclude all liability to any person arising directly or indirectly from using this site and any information or material available from it.
bomber
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by bomber »

:D
Last edited by bomber on Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
musketeer

spinal boards

Post by musketeer »

If spinal boards are going to be used then blocks and spider straps are a must! You can't achieve immobilisation without!!
Personally having used both long and short in water rescues they both have a place. The worst scenario that I have been involved in required a stokes and metres of rope, time consuming, didn't achieve the level of immobilisation required therefore far more dangerous for the patient. Non malificance straight out the window!!

Just my opinion! :oops:
musketeer

Bomber

Post by musketeer »

The combicarrier looks the goods and the bed head provides for good occipital stabilisation. Long been the area of a towel or screwed up t-shirt!!
Weedmeister

Post by Weedmeister »

Hi Musketeer,
yes agreed and it took so many years to get the scoop stretcher in the first place. The old Jorden Frame was a bugger to set up and use. And never fitted very well on the old stretchers in the vans.

Long and short spinal immobilisation boards are better protection as you have already stated. Though other items like the KED are also good to keep in mind, like eastern seaboard ambulance and rescue services.

Many backboards are now compatible to use with a Stokes litter e.g. Ferno Washington backboards can be placed in a Stokes litter so that the patiens is properly 'packaged' for medivac. There are so many other suppliers that also offer interchangable equipment.
And like Bomber has stated a better product is going to SJA. Though many Mines and Oil & Gas facilities have plenty of $$$ to buy the 'good stuff'.
Looks like WA (wait awhile) is finally starting to catch up with the other states......
PFO
Banned

Post by PFO »

whilst this is stimulating conversation i think that a few key points have been lost. I agree that the current ALAS will rest in pieces due to foreseen circumstances and unqualified heirachy, but one shouldnt be saying that WA is way behind in spinal care. Its SJA that hasnt implemented better spinal equipment whereas ALAS introduced the backboard headblocks spiderstrap system and the ked back in 2000/2001. Its not the governments fault that SJA sell these products but dont use them.The late Peter Draper , Love him or hate him was the one responsible for having this system in place and introducing Zolls into the ambulances and IVACs and Keds and the list goes on.At the end of the day spinal care is only as good as the training provided with or without the niceties of tecnology and equipment. RFDS have been using Vac mats for over a decade, so go figure.

Who will be training Fesa on the use of backboards and is there a current package with endorsed units of competency under the HLT07 package? :)
gcs of 3
Kyle
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Kyle »

Last edited by Kyle on Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
O.O
I exclude all liability to any person arising directly or indirectly from using this site and any information or material available from it.
Markmywords

Post by Markmywords »

Who will be training Fesa on the use of backboards and is there a current package with endorsed units of competency under the HLT07 package? :)[/quote]

A SA Paramedic whos just set up his own service and has just won a contract with FESA to provide staff/ambulance doing training and providing medic services both in metro and on mine sites.
Weedmeister

Post by Weedmeister »

And FESA carry long back boards on the Heavy Pumps too. SJA advised against using these, though it's much easier to extricate onto a rigid spinal board than a scoop stretcher.

Hi PFO,
I didn't mean to sound insultive, though yes people are only as good as the training and equipment they receive. The PUA training package also covers this too - potential spinal injuries.
Peter Draper did many good things, the Zoll, pulse oxomitry, Medications and so on. There needs to be more competition and accountability.
Kyle
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Kyle »

Last edited by Kyle on Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:04 pm, edited 5 times in total.
O.O
Kyle
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Kyle »

Last edited by Kyle on Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
O.O
PFO
Banned

Post by PFO »

Weedmeister wrote:And FESA carry long back boards on the Heavy Pumps too. SJA advised against using these, though it's much easier to extricate onto a rigid spinal board than a scoop stretcher.

Hi PFO,
I didn't mean to sound insultive, though yes people are only as good as the training and equipment they receive. The PUA training package also covers this too - potential spinal injuries.
Peter Draper did many good things, the Zoll, pulse oxomitry, Medications and so on. There needs to be more competition and accountability.
Its all good weedy, no offence taken. Yes that is true but correct me if im wrong, the PUA package doesnt incorporate Headblocks, Spiderstraps,Anatomy of adults as opposed to children in regard to packaging a spinal pateint, Compression points for different body shapes,
Recognising pertinant positives and negatives in clinical assessment etc................ and indications for backboarding? :wink:
gcs of 3
missingpersons

Post by missingpersons »

[quote="Kyle"]Hey PFO,

NEW service is coming to take the position alongside the state provider in the field but not through bitterness or play ground tactics. Through deliverance of high standard of patient care.. and emergency services co-operation

Yes i told everyone so.. and its happening right now, everyone will just have to wait and see.

WOW good to see probably out with the old and in with new probably ALAS trading as another name. Do we no anything about this service? Who there are where did they come from and how they can just pop up overnite I havent seen any other type of vans around recently something sounds dodgy but that seems tobe how everything is now secrets all the way round even with a slight bit of comsumer competition. Any how I will keep my eyes peeled its seems some persons have some knowledge of whats happening if anyone can add some light that would great does anyone have pictures or any start dates from these new services do they have job vacancies? or pictures of vans. Cheers guys much appreciated if you could let the impainetant people know who cant be bothered waiting.
Weedmeister

Post by Weedmeister »

Hi PFO,
yes the PUA is more geared up for water rescue immobillisation and rescue from confined spaces and heights....
The HLT training packa is more comprehensive on the side of using the noggin blocks , KEDs and other fun stuff like that. So it's all good.

Hi Missingpersons,
you could be right about the name change of ALAS, though I believe also there are some proviers coming over from interstate too.
I have no specifics. Though had a meeting (in my work role) with Careflight and have a fixed wing service already in place, they could expand later on too.
musketeer

Spinal

Post by musketeer »

Yes in my experience all water based and taught by Royal Lifesaving Society for donkey's years!!!
Lifeguards still trained in their use but don't know of inclusion in HLT package....... another loop!!